Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:44:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeThe Brainstorming Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: The Brainstorming Thread  (Read 7527 times)
rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2013, 11:11:11 AM »

1. Insane Game
sounds really fucking amazing!
Muffinhat
Level 0

COVERED IN BEES HELP

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2013, 04:46:05 PM »

Sounds the same as "pitch your game topic" (just a bit up).

I have a couple of reaaallly half-baked ideas.

1. Insane Game
This is an art game. You just lead a normal life. It's first person. You have a to-do list. On the to-do list it has stuff like "pick up groceries", "pay rent", "call sally and tell her about Dad" etc. As you do the things on your to-do list, "strange" things happen. Like, when you go to the basement to do the laundry, you see a shadow on the wall of someone walking around. But when you get down there you don't find anything unusual. Then while you're eating breakfast, you look out the window to the house next door and notice someone who looks exactly like you and copies your movements, but after a while they get up and leave.

This stuff eventually gets weirder and weirder until it becomes a full-fledged horror game and you're running for your life.

Maybe you have "pills" which make you temporarily sane. If you take your pills, you can go through your routine and finish everything on time, and the game will just end, and you will have "won". If you don't take the pills weird shit happens. Depending on when you take pills and which tasks you accomplish, the game will have different branches.

2. Maze Game
It's a 3D maze (as in you go up and down levels) made of voxels (think minecraft). It's procedurally generated. You start in a room with a flashlight.There's a door behind you. A creature is banging on the door. After a few seconds it gets out and will start to follow you. You have to escape the maze. There are things you can do to confuse/slow the monster.

1st one is baaaaasically Postal 2
hmkay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2013, 02:36:55 AM »

Some weird ones from the top of my notebook.

1. Fluffball

The idea came after watching the "last lecture" of Randy Pausch (

). The gameplay itself is supposed to be just a ball balancing game (balancing a ball in the air using the mouse pointer, having additional difficulty by introducing wind etc.). The interesting part would be that the ball is alive, some cutesy big eyed, innocent creature. Your "balancing" the creature is not appreciated and it will interact with the user accordingly. (There could be different personalities.)
The thing that triggered the idea was the part in the lecture where Pausch shows the virtual world and how the creatures react to him wanting to leave the world, i.e. quit the game. They are sad and feel guilty, because they think that they did something to upset the player and because the player cannot abort the quitting of the game anymore he watches the whole world collapse. This is more of an psychological experiment where the results would interest me.

2. A realistic war-game

Realistic in the sense of traumatizing, not detailled graphics. The sketch is, that you are set in a town of a country which is overrun by enemy forces and your player knows jack shit about what is going on, has no fighting capability whatsoever and all you want to do is stay alive and somehow get back to your loved ones. You never get the whole picture, only distorted fragments from the environment. You constantly have to make decisions while having unsufficient information. E.g. You hear gun-fire in the distance and you are looking for a hiding place. You find an abandoned house. You hide in the closet on the upper floor and wait. Suddenly you hear some noises in the room outside. You try to keep calm and listen. It sounds like somebody is quickly approaching the closet. Stay quiet, try to make a run for it or attack with everything you got (e.g. shoot from inside the closet, when you are certain that the person is directly in front of the closet). Depending on the answer you can choose the fitting unwelcome scenario (e.g. it was not a soldier, but another civilian looking for hiding place that you killed or you are found and taken away). The key is that there won't be any perfect scenario and when you reach the end there should be a flashback of all the stuff that should not have happened and all the guilt that is on your virtual hands.

3. Chess on a Rubic's cube

Not actually chess and probably not a Rubic's cube, but the general idea is that you have some tactical game based on a surface, where you are able to change (e.g. rotate, shift, switch fields) the terrain in certain ways and not only move the units. My current idea of a scenario is that you would be a god in training and you are to support your followers in battle against the armies of other gods to determine the ruler of the new world. Each turn you are able to either move a piece or move the terrain (e.g. rotating a side of the cube) and thereby moving a bigger part of the battle. Each unit would have certain attack values for the neighboring fields and some healthpoints.
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2013, 09:42:25 AM »

A nightmare game for the Oculus VR, where the point of the game is to escape nightmare after randomly generated nightmare.

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
nereke
Level 0

fighting homelessness, one game at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2013, 01:25:13 AM »

RT strategy in the style of Gradius III. Control a small group of fighters by click-and-drag to position and rotate them. Upgrades, etc.
Four
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2013, 07:28:45 PM »

Title: Circuit Breaker
Type: puzzle

you have a circuit in front of you with multiple inputs on your left that could be either a 0 or 1, with a single output on your right. Goal is to change the inputs in such a way that it produces the output of 1 on the right.

I personally will find this game kind of boring.
akoluthic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2013, 07:18:20 AM »

Oh, also this one!

Monster Game
You're a monster that lives in a cave outside a village. You need to eat villagers to survive, but you're not strong enough to take them on directly. You need to find weak/small villagers alone or at night. Over time you level up and become a more fearsome monster. If the villagers figure out where you are, they will come for you with torches and pitchforks.

That actually sounds incredibly fun, if done well!

Twitter | Soundtrack and trailer composer - worked on:CRAWL, Soviet Jump Game (Game Grumps), PULSAR: Lost Colony, and others. Currently solo developing Chrysalis
Gagege
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2013, 08:19:07 AM »

Alternate dimension early 1800's United States RPG

The year is 1826 or something. You start in an established city on the East Coast, like Philadelphia or DC, but with a different name.

You set out on a westward trek, traveling from town to town and then into the frontier wilderness, discovering and fending off the mythological creatures of the Americas: bigfeet, chupacabras, greys, lizardmen, creepy backwoods children, ghosts, thunderbirds, native American spirits, etc.

Basically an RPG like Diablo, but I think the theme is pretty different. The end of the game would come when you find a suitable place to settle down somewhere in the west.

blog
Soli Deo Gloria
Fetus Commander
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2013, 09:10:56 AM »

What about a Scorched Earth/RPG hybrid?  You walk around for a little while on the world map, get into encounters, and then play them out like a Scorched Earth battle on a randomly generated map.
insyzygy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2013, 04:01:41 PM »

A hybrid tactical stealth combat/hacking simulator. You play as a contract "hacker-ninja" working for a security firm in the near future. Missions can be everything from industrial espionage to straight up assassinations. Gameplay time is split between tense, tactical stealth-based combat and a programming simulator mini-game where you infiltrate security systems by manipulating nodes in a computer network.

Enemy AI is unforgiving with guards that shoot on sight (think Gunpoint). The view is 3rd person orthographic, so it feels tile based like a tactical RPG but the view can be freely rotated. Combat is realtime, but can be "paused" for a limited time to plan out moves to be executed in sequence. This forces the player to try to anticipate the movement of enemy NPCs and think carefully about tactics.

Hacking consists of running "programs" on nodes in a computer network from access points. I'm toying with the idea of coming up with a rudimentary scripting language and allowing the player to write their own "programs" to use during missions. Some sort of consistent network/filesystem would need to be devised. Players could upgrade their tools to make access to networks easier (i.e. a device that connects wirelessly to every node).
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2013, 05:56:24 AM »

I read that as combat/hiking simulator and it was a much better idea.

Muffinhat
Level 0

COVERED IN BEES HELP

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2013, 07:45:41 PM »

A space expedition RPG. Think of the multiplayer in the format of Civ 5, with AI that plays when someone leaves, save game, and long matches. You set of teams with x amount of players per ship, and the ships are pitted against each other in a vast solar system. Each crew member is controlled by player, and has a set role (such as the roles in Guns of Icarus). Ships can stop by trading posts, explore uninhabited planets for resources, and fight pirates. The games ends when one final ship stands.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic