Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

999641 Posts in 39235 Topics- by 30649 Members - Latest Member: 7yp

April 24, 2014, 02:00:52 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreative (Moderator: John Sandoval)The Brainstorming Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: The Brainstorming Thread  (Read 4274 times)
VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 09:15:07 AM »

A game where you play as a predator (wolf, tiger, leopard, or whatever) hunting in a dense jungle environment. The goal is to survive as long as possible without starving. Every few in-game days, the seasons will change, changing the kind of prey, and when they come out. After several days, strange things will begin to happen. At random times, crazy random events will occur in the jungle such as alien invasions, mutant animal outbreaks, meteor showers, tribal hunting parties. As the days go on, events will begin to get crazier and more bizarre, challenging your very survival.

So, I'm imagining I'm a lean mean lion at the climax of this game.  I can handle anything this planet can throw at me.  Suddenly a Giant World Ending Meteor hurls towards me.  For this king of the jungle to survive I must escape the planet and survive as a Lion in Spaaaaaaaaaace!

Hey, wait a minute, isn't that just the plot to Thunder Cats?!

Chromanoid
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 03:37:50 AM »

a theme that haunts me:
portals connect everything. you cannot create them, but you can find doors, chests and other things with some kind of frame, that are portals and connect you to a counterpiece in another world. you carry a bag or a chest that you can enter (it is a portal to a specially built cave in some mountain, in another dimension or so). in your chest/cave you can collect other portals connecting you to other places/worlds/rooms.

imo the biggest problems with this theme are the physical consequences of portals. to make it authentic these portals would need some passthrough volume limit. when the limit is reached it closes for some time. this would stop worlds being destroyed by oceans of other worlds or being sucked into space. It would also limit the perpetuum mobile effect of two vertically arranged portals. Gravity should not be able to pass the portals. Another problem is what happens, when you press against the inner of a closed chest through a portal from another world.

It would be probably a), but this would lead to very unspectacular flying devices, which would hurt the theme from a narrative standpoint. Gravity makes this exploit even more severe and leads to a very mighty perpetuum mobile effect.
after all I think one would have to introduce some kind of special portal magic that enables only things with a free will to pass through portals together with all their belongings without transferring forces like thrust through the portal.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:06:14 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
jmptable
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 06:12:25 AM »

I think that problem depends heavily on the type of portal. If they are like wormholes then I'm not sure what would happen (trying to work it out on paper for the sake of curiosity though). But if they are this kind of teleporter machine a lot of the problems go away:

Each portal is really two special machines paired together. Imagine them as big stickers packed with nanotechnology. Throw something at one of them. The object hits a surface made of nanomachines and is broken down atom-by-atom at the same time as the structure is recorded inside the computer of the sticker-portal. The portal streams this data about the structure of the object to the other sticker, which takes source atoms and puts them together at its surface to match the structure of the object passing through.

From an outside perspective the technological underpinning doesn't matter, but if we're talking about how it would behave physically it helps a lot. This kind of portal would be firmly planted in the case B that you drew. Objects coming out of a portal can press against the portal itself (which offers no resistance but conserves momentum because the atoms have to go somewhere - to some kind of exhaust) so the container would not act differently than if you had been inside it and started pushing against the top.

Aside from the physics question, I really like your idea. It's a cool premise that would lead to a lot of interesting mind-bending situations.
Chromanoid
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 07:11:22 AM »

Ah teleporting particles instead of really connecting space is a good idea. I don't think I tapped the greatest story angles yet. I really like the idea of being able to switch between very dangerous and very peaceful places in a consistent manner. Having limits on the stuff that passes through the portals is probably necessary to gurantee scarcity of resources and as a result ongoing conflicts.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 07:13:03 AM »

Portal can only be formed on the surface it is targeted at. Was the portal formed on ground and box placed there? Or was it formed on the bottom of box? That is not clear here.
Chromanoid
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 07:19:21 AM »

the red one is formed on the bottom of the box. i think there are no restrictions for imaginative portals Smiley just plausibility is a problem...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:49:12 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 07:57:57 AM »

the red one is formed on the bottom of the box. i think there are no restrictions for imaginative portals Smiley just plausibility is a problem...

If the portal were formed on the outside of the box, then the box would be pushed up by the stick, or the box would be smaller than the portal and fall through...

However, even if the portal were placed inside the box, both A and B cases are true.

Consider the following: Mexican Jumping Beans.
Within the closed rigid bean a larva thrusts itself.  This causes the bean to move.

Thus, if you thrust the stick into the portal and it came out the other side and hit the box, the force of the blow could move the box.  If the force were slowly applied until the stick touched the top of the box, then was increased beyond the strength of the box lid, the lid would break.

In a third case you throw the stick very hard into the box, it strikes the lid and both moves the box and breaks it.   Depending on how much force / speed is involved the box could remain stationary while the lid breaks, or hop.   Imaging firing a shotgun blast through the portal.  The pellets hit the box lid transferring their force to the lid, causing the box to move AND break.

You can perform the mexican jumping bean experiment by closing yourself in a trunk.  throw your weight around and movement will be seen from the outside of the trunk long before the lid is broken.

Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 09:34:14 PM »

portals connect everything. you cannot create them, but you can find doors, chests and other things with some kind of frame, that are portals and connect you to a counterpiece in another world. you carry a bag or a chest that you can enter (it is a portal to a specially built cave in some mountain, in another dimension or so). in your chest/cave you can collect other portals connecting you to other places/worlds/rooms.

Could you explain the proposed collection of them more? The way I picture it is collecting them on scrolls, which is kind of nice and reminds me of this short film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5_Msrdg3Hk

But I want to make sure I understand your idea correctly.

I also really like the personal pocket dimension idea, it reminds me of the recent DLC to Dungeons of Dredmor, Conquest of the Wizardlands, where once you found wizard keys you could store all your stuff in a similar convention. Like a physical bank. Now that actually have physics and being a kind of world hub is mind-blowing.
Chromanoid
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 04:13:08 AM »

Some related media:
Howl's moving castle

this door is actually a portal. The colored wheel shows where the portal leads to, when you open the door.

In "Pirate Emperor - The  Wave Walkers Book 2" by Key Meyers (I listened to the German audiobook) there is a door in a whale's stomach. It works as a portal to a nice little house, where a man lives his lonely life.

In the game Terranigma (SNES) your inventory is a chest that you can enter. It is very big and has rooms for weapons, armor etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfs2EEpgLnI&feature=player_embedded#t=63s

Of course there are much more examples...

In my vision of this setting these portals are just like normal objects, but with a spacy twist.

A crappy intro Smiley
You wander down the beach of Paprika Bay, in the distance you can spot some stranded goods. Although it seems to be nothing special, just some rotten planks, you decide to take a closer look. The people on this isle, your family, always need this kind of stuff as building material. After examining a mixed size set of very old drawers, you see a moldy door in its rusty iron frame.The door is covered with wet salty sand and makes scarcely audible creaky noises. Beside this it seems to be just a normal door.

With some effort you pull the door out of the soggy sand landwards to a palm tree. You lean the door against it and press down the sticky door handle and try to push the door out of this rusty frame. With a sudden ripping noise the door flings open and you accidently stumble through the door frame. In expectancy of the door instantly stopped by the palm tree hitting your head you throw up your left arm for protection and close your eyes. You fall through the door frame and hit the soft prickling cold ground surprisingly without even touching the door. The door must be wide open, how is this possible? Puzzled you open your eyes. Icy breezes rip through your shirt and shorts. It is dark and snowy hills illuminated by an abnormally shaped moon stare at you. This might be a starting point for an adventure...

Any container and frame fixed or movable could hold a portal to a completely foreign world. There would be door graveyards full of doors some broken, some locked and the lucky ones will even find some open leading to wonderful places. Movable portals would be rare but not too rare. Taverns would offer walls with metal rings where you can chain your door or chest to. Private collections of doors into astonishing worlds would be the topics of conversation in high society circles. The most fortunate collectors will own special cabinets with narrow slots, where you can insert many doors in a space-saving and secure way. Security is actually a big problem, monsters traveling between worlds attracted by the auras of the portals are the nightmare for any portal collector. Interdimensional bandits who steal portals and place them in extremely dangerous areas to kill the key owner and frantic xenophobes who destroy any portal they see provide additional tension....
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:25:04 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
Graham.
Level 10

hasn't made a game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 04:56:33 PM »

Don't try and boil the ocean. Pick a few portal ideas you are really interested in, then try to make their co-existence plausible. No matter what you will have to answer a lot of questions. There won't be some "simple" way out for every case. Beyond that, even if you found a sub-par one you might become married to it. The important thing to focus on is the way in which portals are used in your game.

Give 3 examples of uses you definitely want to have, then pose the plausibility question again. Portal discussion is fun on its own but what I am suggesting is practical. By the time you've done what I've said you'll be half way to a solution already. You'll see.
Muffinhat
Level 0

COVERED IN BEES HELP

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 05:59:35 PM »

How about an Oregon Trail themed game (if you ever played it. If you haven't, look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oregon_Trail_(video_game)), where a player created expedition sets out on a path for a certain city to the north?

Instead of the expedition headed down an initially decided path, you would have the choice to head through detours, short-cuts, etc. The expedition will halt when either A: you have reached a point of interest (such as a town, settlement, camp, etc) or B: When the expedition encounters a problem (such as bandits, sickness, food shortage, etc). Each time the expedition stops, the player's perspective will switch to first person, where they will encounter the scene the expedition comes upon. For example, if the expedition were to stop because of a shortage of food, the player would switch to first person to go on a hunting trip. At some points, there will be interaction with NPCs where you might fight them, recruit them, or trade with them. The game would end if the expedition reaches the northern city, or when the people die.

If you were to go even further with the concept, you could add a multiplayer co-op, or some other crazy idea.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 08:06:32 PM »

Don't people still make Oregon trail?

Do I need a signature?
sebaslive
Level 0

One of the Four

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 09:43:22 AM »

I saw a hunter game up here but this idea is a bit different. A bit of genre bending. Hotline miami meets space cowboy. The player plays as an under ground space worm and human space marines have established a colony on your planet. The goal is to go floor by floor and eliminate this threat on your planet. The levels are designed in a reverse pacman style with the player traveling through the floors and walls going room to room and emerging from the ground to eat your prey.  As the levels progress you will find more challenging rooms as the marines have tougher equipment to chew through and may leave you vulnerable to heavy fire. Like hotline, you can make noise in one room (by growling etc) and draw the attention so you can trap unsuspecting victims that stayed behind.

This game is really fast and death comes pretty easily so it relies heavily on skill and finding the right way to beat the level. Difficulty ramps up when the game introduces heavier marines, mechs, and radars.

I havent seen tremors but it looks to be the same idea playing as the worm.

Indie all around when it comes to games, films, stories, and art.
Chromanoid
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 04:57:35 AM »

Do you see your worm game as a sidescroller or really like a reverse pacman game (top-down perspective). I would imagine that it would be cooler to see the game from the side (like in the most tremors games). But instead of breaking through earth you sneak through the floors of a space station from bottom to top...

I always like the idea of playing against humans. I once thought about a similar idea, where you play a carnivorous plant that grows in the sewers of a city.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:07:38 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
sebaslive
Level 0

One of the Four

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 10:43:20 AM »

Oh, Yes. Like a side scroller would be much better. Yeah definitely sneaky, much like the feel of the first Alien movie, in the hunt. Fear could probably play a factor in the game as well, a soldier can get terrified and begin to shoot wild.

Yeah, there is something I like about the Hunt, which is probably one of the main reasons I like stealth games but I also think an interesting challenge is when the hunter becomes the hunted. (Multiplayer for splinter cell) On that note another idea is to add, on harder levels, some trackers that are sent in specifically to hunt the space worm dead.

Indie all around when it comes to games, films, stories, and art.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic