Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:58:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Need Feedback for Sprites
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Need Feedback for Sprites  (Read 4824 times)
Password
Level 0

Troy and Abed in the Morning~

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2013, 05:10:13 PM »

These are some pictures from my game. I'd appreciate any tips/advice, or constructive criticism to help my improve the art.

Blambo
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 05:14:06 PM »

Not bad; the forms are decently well defined, but you could use some practice on the lighting. Pillow-shading is just unattractive.
powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 05:04:50 AM »

Maybe have a bit darker backgrounds and avoid having similar colors than in the characters/obstacles (which you already seem to do pretty well). In platformers, it's pretty crucial to clearly see where everything is.

Those three probably have some different special abilities? Bolt seems to be some kind of melee/strong guy with those manly arms, but I can't clearly read what specialties Zoom and Xoid would have. The biggest distinctive feature is the red one having some headphone-like device on his head, could bring communications, electricity or some psychic abilities to mind. But my point here is that it'd be cool to instantly see what the robots were made for.

I don't think the shading is that bad, though you might want to communicate a more well-defined light source in them.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 05:11:24 AM »

Reminds me of Mr.Tuff:

upd: Wrong image, hope no one seen it Who, Me?
Infermium1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:14:20 AM »

I think your sprites are already really well done. The only thing that I would consider is looking at the scale of your sprites compared to their background and think about how that looks to the player.

There is nothing wrong with them, but based on the objects around them and the scale to the background they look very small, like they might be shorter than half a foot tall in real life. If you want them to look "human-ish" in size you could scale back the background or make your spikes in blocks smaller by comparison, but it still looks fine just the way it is.

I'd say this is easily the quality of art I would expect to see in a more mainstream indie game that I would pay for.
b2thec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 12:00:47 PM »

See if this fancies you. I corrected little things. I didn't want to mess with your design. It's good but I couldn't tell where the light was coming from. The light was hitting his feet from a different angle than his head. I made things a little more contrasted to give more depth and added some "shine" to him. He's a robot, he needs some shine. I also got rid of some of the black outline and replaced it with darker purples and blues. And I changed a couple of pixels but nothing too drastic.
Hope this helps somewhat and if doesn't, then... I have wasted two minutes of my day. I'll never get those precious minutes back.
Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 06:08:11 PM »

See if this fancies you. I corrected little things. I didn't want to mess with your design. It's good but I couldn't tell where the light was coming from. The light was hitting his feet from a different angle than his head. I made things a little more contrasted to give more depth and added some "shine" to him. He's a robot, he needs some shine. I also got rid of some of the black outline and replaced it with darker purples and blues. And I changed a couple of pixels but nothing too drastic.
Hope this helps somewhat and if doesn't, then... I have wasted two minutes of my day. I'll never get those precious minutes back.
Nice! I made a few tweaks, is that okay?
Anyways, I tried to edit the other characters. Whatdayathink?

Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 09:25:26 AM »

The background has the light source in the top right corner, but the red character has it from top left. It makes it look strange. The second version has different source of light on the helmet (top left) and different on the torso (top right).

Note: I'm not an artist.

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 03:20:10 PM »

I created a run cycle animation. Of course give me some tips and criticism or whatnot!

impulse9
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 03:29:29 PM »

Hand and body movement seem okay but leg movement is a bit off I think.

Lovely looking sprites btw. Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley  Hand Thumbs Up Right I think world tiles need some additional work, though.
Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 05:29:30 PM »

Yeah, the feet look odd. How about now?

impulse9
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 06:16:45 PM »

Looks better and the cycle is much smoother.
Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 06:58:03 PM »

I decided to work on tiles.

Also, notice that the background is not yet finished. As of now, I'm having trouble designing the bacgrounds. Please give tips on how to improve it, with different patterns or such.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 07:03:25 PM »

Not a fan of all the main tiles having a black outline.

Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 07:19:21 PM »

Not a fan of all the main tiles having a black outline.
Well, the character has a black outline, so I dunno. It might look odd for the character to be outlined in black, and the rest of the game to be outlineless.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 07:41:30 PM »

I'd say our character here has a decent outline as well, yet the tiles don't.

Anyways not an artist, just my opinion. I can't think of many games that normally have outlines around their tiles like that. For instance the nes mega man sprite and enemies usually had a black outline, but tiles didn't.

Good luck at any rate. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:46:53 PM by Gregg Williams » Logged

b2thec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 09:28:09 PM »

Looking better. And of course it's ok you changed my design. You can tweak your own designs as much as possible. It's not my stuff.

Just make sure you get your light source down. Very important. If you look at all these emoticons above the possible message you might send back to me, the light is hitting all of them from the same direction.

The run animation needs work. It looks like he is running backwards but going forwards. It's mainly in the legs. Honestly look up youtube videos of people running and get ready to hit the pause button over and over. The best way to learn is to actually look at some real running. Plus the character is a robot, he is probably heavy. He should sink into each of his steps. Scoot your character down at least one or two pixels with each step and then have him spring back up into his next step.
iosoftware
Level 0

Old-school gaming lives on

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 08:29:08 AM »

a couple of things that can be improved:

- avoid obvious, repetitive tiling
you can use "visibility" gradient overlays to mask vertical tiling

- add depth to texture tiles

- bring more attention to the main sprite.
petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 02:08:22 AM »

It looks good. I especially like the sprite. Tiles could be improved a littlebit...

But great job overall!!!!!!1!!1!1!!1

Rabbo
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 03:10:08 PM »

I do like the sprites but I agree with most people here that the backgrounds could use some work as they don't really suit the characters. It might be the colour difference that seems off to me... And by that I mean the choice of colours for the background compared to the characters. Experiment with different colours maybe?

I'd say our character here has a decent outline as well, yet the tiles don't.

I'd say these background colours could suit your characters much better
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic