Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:59:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Need Feedback for Sprites
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Need Feedback for Sprites  (Read 4811 times)
Password
Level 0

Troy and Abed in the Morning~

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 07:57:14 PM »

So I started working on the Green Guy (Zoom)

Which one is better (1, 2, 3)?

Also I'm working on the tiles and background. Currently my game looks something like this:

I'd like some tips on mainly the color scheme, and how to improve the background design.

Please leave feedback below!

tnr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 08:16:50 PM »

I think that if you combined the chest of 1, the head, shoulders, and legs of 2, and the crest and arms of three and you'd have a pretty cool sprite.
Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 03:37:50 PM »

I think that if you combined the chest of 1, the head, shoulders, and legs of 2, and the crest and arms of three and you'd have a pretty cool sprite.
Well I did just that and got this:

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »

So not an artist, but I did a quick edit, as something I thought looked pretty cool despite maybe the chest and head needing a few changes in how things highlight. Feels like the head could also use a hair more angle to me. Anyways just a thought.

Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 08:08:16 PM »

So not an artist, but I did a quick edit, as something I thought looked pretty cool despite maybe the chest and head needing a few changes in how things highlight. Feels like the head could also use a hair more angle to me. Anyways just a thought.

I don't know, the no neck thing makes it look a bit odd.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 08:24:11 PM »

Yeah the general design struck me more as a robot or battle suit type thing. I'm not a fan of the necks Smiley

Anyways was just a thought. 

HyMyNameIsMatt
Level 1

Vernal Edge

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 05:11:34 PM »

I honestly prefer neckless green guy.  Also the main character needs a palette change.  The bright colors need to be brighter, and the outline needs to be not black.  Like dark blue or purple.  If not then the enviornment needs its outline color changed.

Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2013, 05:29:41 PM »

Fooled around a bit and got this:

I quite like it, but I'd like to hear your feedback.
I honestly prefer neckless green guy.  Also the main character needs a palette change.  The bright colors need to be brighter, and the outline needs to be not black.  Like dark blue or purple.  If not then the enviornment needs its outline color changed.
When you say main character, do you mean all three, or just the blue guy in the picture?

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 05:49:04 PM »

I think the thing I really dislike about these, and a big reason I killed all the neck as well as some of the lower head bit, is the head and neck together range from like half the bodies height to the entire body just about. 

Now some styles do this, or giant heads and tiny bodies, etc so its really an art preference I suppose. Its just not one I like Smiley

HyMyNameIsMatt
Level 1

Vernal Edge

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 05:57:29 PM »

Fooled around a bit and got this:

I quite like it, but I'd like to hear your feedback.
When you say main character, do you mean all three, or just the blue guy in the picture?

What I said can be applied to all of them.  The outline for them and the enviornment bring the same color looks weird.  Also the highlights need to be brighter.  Metal has really bright bright-colors and super dark dark-colors.

Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 04:58:24 PM »

I think the thing I really dislike about these, and a big reason I killed all the neck as well as some of the lower head bit, is the head and neck together range from like half the bodies height to the entire body just about. 

Now some styles do this, or giant heads and tiny bodies, etc so its really an art preference I suppose. Its just not one I like Smiley

So I thought about this, and yeah, the head is actually really big. Can't believe I didn't notice that.

However, two things bother me about your sprite. Number one: The lack of neck. It kind of looks like he's constantly shrugging or something. And two: The height, or rather, lack of it. It's kind of short, especially compared to the other characters.

So I did this: Basically I took your sprite, gave it a neck, and slightly enlarged the body to go with it. Again, leave your feedback!

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 06:06:30 PM »

That looks a lot more balanced to me Smiley I still like my edit better, but I think this one is certainly an improvement from the original.

Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 11:02:26 PM »

Hey there Password, how much you wanna bet I can't guess your password?

eaz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 07:34:22 AM »

Hey there Password, how much you wanna bet I can't guess your password?

Username: Password
Password: Username
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic