Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1026204 Posts in 41132 Topics- by 32735 Members - Latest Member: paranoidninja

July 24, 2014, 04:15:43 AM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeArtNeed Feedback for Sprites
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Need Feedback for Sprites  (Read 3053 times)
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 07:41:30 PM »

I'd say our character here has a decent outline as well, yet the tiles don't.

Anyways not an artist, just my opinion. I can't think of many games that normally have outlines around their tiles like that. For instance the nes mega man sprite and enemies usually had a black outline, but tiles didn't.

Good luck at any rate. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:46:53 PM by Gregg Williams » Logged

b2thec
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 09:28:09 PM »

Looking better. And of course it's ok you changed my design. You can tweak your own designs as much as possible. It's not my stuff.

Just make sure you get your light source down. Very important. If you look at all these emoticons above the possible message you might send back to me, the light is hitting all of them from the same direction.

The run animation needs work. It looks like he is running backwards but going forwards. It's mainly in the legs. Honestly look up youtube videos of people running and get ready to hit the pause button over and over. The best way to learn is to actually look at some real running. Plus the character is a robot, he is probably heavy. He should sink into each of his steps. Scoot your character down at least one or two pixels with each step and then have him spring back up into his next step.
iosoftware
Level 0

Old-school gaming lives on

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 08:29:08 AM »

a couple of things that can be improved:

- avoid obvious, repetitive tiling
you can use "visibility" gradient overlays to mask vertical tiling

- add depth to texture tiles

- bring more attention to the main sprite.
petertos
Level 2

I like to dance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 02:08:22 AM »

It looks good. I especially like the sprite. Tiles could be improved a littlebit...

But great job overall!!!!!!1!!1!1!!1

http://pliski.com/ - Serious Entertainment
Rabbo
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 03:10:08 PM »

I do like the sprites but I agree with most people here that the backgrounds could use some work as they don't really suit the characters. It might be the colour difference that seems off to me... And by that I mean the choice of colours for the background compared to the characters. Experiment with different colours maybe?

I'd say our character here has a decent outline as well, yet the tiles don't.

I'd say these background colours could suit your characters much better
Password
Level 0

Troy and Abed in the Morning~

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 07:57:14 PM »

So I started working on the Green Guy (Zoom)

Which one is better (1, 2, 3)?

Also I'm working on the tiles and background. Currently my game looks something like this:

I'd like some tips on mainly the color scheme, and how to improve the background design.

Please leave feedback below!

TheNineRings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 08:16:50 PM »

I think that if you combined the chest of 1, the head, shoulders, and legs of 2, and the crest and arms of three and you'd have a pretty cool sprite.
Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 03:37:50 PM »

I think that if you combined the chest of 1, the head, shoulders, and legs of 2, and the crest and arms of three and you'd have a pretty cool sprite.
Well I did just that and got this:

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »

So not an artist, but I did a quick edit, as something I thought looked pretty cool despite maybe the chest and head needing a few changes in how things highlight. Feels like the head could also use a hair more angle to me. Anyways just a thought.

Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 08:08:16 PM »

So not an artist, but I did a quick edit, as something I thought looked pretty cool despite maybe the chest and head needing a few changes in how things highlight. Feels like the head could also use a hair more angle to me. Anyways just a thought.

I don't know, the no neck thing makes it look a bit odd.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 08:24:11 PM »

Yeah the general design struck me more as a robot or battle suit type thing. I'm not a fan of the necks Smiley

Anyways was just a thought. 

HyMyNameIsMatt
Level 1

Face

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 05:11:34 PM »

I honestly prefer neckless green guy.  Also the main character needs a palette change.  The bright colors need to be brighter, and the outline needs to be not black.  Like dark blue or purple.  If not then the enviornment needs its outline color changed.
Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2013, 05:29:41 PM »

Fooled around a bit and got this:

I quite like it, but I'd like to hear your feedback.
I honestly prefer neckless green guy.  Also the main character needs a palette change.  The bright colors need to be brighter, and the outline needs to be not black.  Like dark blue or purple.  If not then the enviornment needs its outline color changed.
When you say main character, do you mean all three, or just the blue guy in the picture?

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 05:49:04 PM »

I think the thing I really dislike about these, and a big reason I killed all the neck as well as some of the lower head bit, is the head and neck together range from like half the bodies height to the entire body just about. 

Now some styles do this, or giant heads and tiny bodies, etc so its really an art preference I suppose. Its just not one I like Smiley

HyMyNameIsMatt
Level 1

Face

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 05:57:29 PM »

Fooled around a bit and got this:

I quite like it, but I'd like to hear your feedback.
When you say main character, do you mean all three, or just the blue guy in the picture?

What I said can be applied to all of them.  The outline for them and the enviornment bring the same color looks weird.  Also the highlights need to be brighter.  Metal has really bright bright-colors and super dark dark-colors.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic