Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:28:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs¡Cacto Loco!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: ¡Cacto Loco!  (Read 40196 times)
egoitzOsa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2013, 10:25:25 PM »

Get that bird off yo head

Hey there man!
This is looking better and better Smiley.
Gotta say the screen frame has improved a lot. Maybe, the colors of the bottom cactuses are too vivid, but the style is great. Good work man!

TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2013, 11:32:40 PM »

You are a god at emulating the SNES pallete. Smiley
Oh thank you, I aim for a SNES look but I'm sure the pallete is breaking the SNES's real limitations.

@egoitzOsa
Thanks! I was worried those HUD cacti would be to bright, I'll dull em down a bit.
Yeah I finally settled on that border, in case anyone is wondering the flowers represent health, the 04 is the life display, the things on the right are your cactus bombs(they will probably change from those block sprites) the bottom zeros are the score and the 256 is a timer.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Wink

devi ever
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2013, 11:56:10 PM »

Still unsure of a good palette for the border, possibly just let everyone pick their own flavor similar to Earthbound?
Also worked on setting up a boss hp bar

I definitely prefer this border to the brighter one... but either way it still looks great!  Maybe consider using more desaturated colors to make it a little more interesting but still less intense... like more earth colors along with the greens.

Definitely following!

Did I miss any game play video in the previous posts?  I saw the bird gif... which is hilarious.  Also love the scorpion.

Would definitely love to have a better idea of the kind of gameplay this is going to end up with.

Gomez
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2013, 12:17:56 AM »

Here are some gifs of some actual playing action:

I'm aiming to have the gameplay be mostly intense shooting action and fast reflexes, but with some moments of relax time with various puzzles or bonus rounds.

devi ever
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2013, 12:21:47 AM »

That is FANTASTIC. Smiley

BTW... I did a little mockup of a more subdued border... I feel like the brighter border might wear down on the eyes over time, and this makes it so that all the important things that need to be focused on (the actual gameplay sprites, health meter, power up counts) can be readily distinguished.

Also the subdued colors work well with the idea of a desert landscape... and having the flowers up top be red compliments the health bar.

Just something to think about!  Not sure if it's actually any better, but it'd definitely more pleasing to a player like me.

Gentleman
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2013, 12:27:02 AM »

I like that color scheme! It does have a more desert vibe, I'll definitely toy around with the colors some more to find something more earthy like that. The bright green looked good in screenshots but it's true it might get in the way when actually playing the full game.

devi ever
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2013, 12:29:44 AM »

I like that color scheme! It does have a more desert vibe, I'll definitely toy around with the colors some more to find something more earthy like that. The bright green looked good in screenshots but it's true it might get in the way when actually playing the full game.

Hand Thumbs Up Left

Also, it might be cool to have the little corner cacti flash bright whenever you get hit, or cringe... and when you hit a boss, the roses flash brighter red... to really hit home with the player that they are getting hurt, or doing boss damage. :D

BTW, what platform / programming language are you using to develop this game?

Can't wait to play some of this! :D
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2013, 12:34:02 AM »

It's game maker 8  Shrug
I hope you don't mind but I'm totally using that cringing HUD cactus idea now.  Grin

devi ever
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2013, 12:36:40 AM »

It's game maker 8  Shrug
I hope you don't mind but I'm totally using that cringing HUD cactus idea now.  Grin

Awesome!  Yeah, I'm developing in GM8 as well, and by all means, I'd be honored if you did the cringing cactus thing.

Gentleman

I definitely feel like one of the greatest strengths of this game, and your talent as I've seen thus far, is the animations and pixel artwork, so the more you can showcase that, I say the better!  Hand Any Key
egoitzOsa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2013, 01:11:22 AM »

Wow, 10minutes out and I lost a really interesting dialogue, haha.

Definetly, that frame by @deviever is looking very good, and his idea of brighting HUd elements when you hit (or be hit by) something is clever.
Also, I gotta say, I prefer your @TNERB bottom hud part of the life and bombs. Deviever´s one is cleaner, you should remove life number and things like that, but keep the flowers and this type of ambiental HUD elements.

And oh, the black & white/red bad angry deathly arrow of the dessert is the best enemy I´ve ever seen, hahaha:

Nah, stupid joke Facepalm. Everything here looks fantastic.

@deviever, it´s really nice to see around here. I read your posts along all the forum these last days and in most cases, they are helpful and interesting.

As always, sorry for my bad enlgish, meeeeh, haha.

TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2013, 01:18:36 AM »

what red arrow? You didn't see anything  Hand Point Left Cool

Yeah devi ever has been very helpful, it's nice to see someone actually being nice on TIGsource.

matriax
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2013, 02:08:49 AM »

Here are some gifs of some actual playing action:

I'm aiming to have the gameplay be mostly intense shooting action and fast reflexes, but with some moments of relax time with various puzzles or bonus rounds.

The boss .gif is awesome. Good pixel-art and animations waiting for more.
devi ever
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2013, 02:31:46 AM »

Ha ha.  Thanks for the love everyone!  Kiss
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2013, 02:55:10 AM »

You are a god at emulating the SNES pallete. Smiley
Oh thank you, I aim for a SNES look but I'm sure the pallete is breaking the SNES's real limitations.

Heh, of course, but hey, as long as it has the SNES feel! Wink
devi ever
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2013, 04:13:40 AM »

My girlfriend also had another interesting suggestion about the HUD.

She said it'd be cool if, as the boss was hurt, the roses would begin to lose their petals.

Would definitely add an incredibly interesting sense of style and impact to go along with the boss fights!  Shocked
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2013, 05:38:25 PM »

New Palette

@Devi Ever
That's a good idea although I don't know if I want too many distracting things during boss fights. Maybe I can have them loose petals when you game over or something.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2013, 06:09:04 PM »

didn't realize until now that that's not an "i", as in iPad or whatever :|

anyway this looks pretty hot keepitup

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
absenter
Level 1

I push pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2013, 07:11:36 PM »

I just wanted to chime in to say this is looking awesome. I don't have anything in the way of critique. But, I do happen to prefer the super saturated colors in the border. Just sayin'.  Toast Left Smiley Toast Right

devi ever
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »

New Palette

@Devi Ever
That's a good idea although I don't know if I want too many distracting things during boss fights. Maybe I can have them loose petals when you game over or something.

Sounds good!  Looks great!
egoitzOsa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »

New Palette

This is the way man, this is the way... Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic