Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:22:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsReckon Dash-v0.1(24.02.13)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Reckon Dash-v0.1(24.02.13)  (Read 4724 times)
makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2013, 04:56:25 AM »

Reckon Dash
the devlog

For years, the Reckonians have ruled the lands of Filyraen. Everyone has been happy and the lands have been blooming. Joy and happiness everywhere… Until today- today the outermost areas of the Reckonian territory have been lost to the brave-yet cruel soldiers of  the Dasherhems. You have been telegraphed from the King`s palace of the Reckonians to come and help them regain  their territory form the enemies. But keep in mind, there are no soft guys in this world, can you do it?

If I`ve  still got you, then keep on reading.

What You just read through, was the backbone story for a indie RPG I am currently developing. Yes you heard it right-a indie game developed by me!
 This topic will serve the purpose of becoming one of the games main devlogs, with updates being  posted by me here as soon as they happen. This devlog is the best place to keep in touch with the current progress of the game.

Pictures (resizing coming soon!)

Please keep in mind that the game development has only just begun

Newsletter

Enter your email and get signed up for the Reckon Dash Newsletter. It has a few bewnefits as well :
When the game gets released- occasional codes only for you to enter in the game to get bonuses.
When a new version is coming- A notice few days earlier.
When something needs to be mass-tested- You will get a link to the thing.

Join the Newsleter Here
http://www.hot.ee/reckondash/join.html

You can follow the game here:

Thank you for reading! Feedback Appreciated!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 04:26:46 AM by makerimages » Logged

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 05:28:32 AM »

You're being overly ambitious. Again. Setting up mailing lists and development streams is not where you start making a game.

I've told you this on numerous occasions before but start by making something really small. A game, where you'd spend most of the time creating content not the framework to support it. Some tile-based game with a simple mechanic where the meat of the game would be creating and balancing the levels. Be it small but make it darn polished. Go ahead and actually complete it and see how long it takes you. If you still want to make an RPG after that, feel free to do so.

I'm getting tired of saying the same old stuff to you so whatever. This looks pretty bad, let's be honest. At least try to work out a style you'd be able to pull of. I'd recommend chunkier pixels and very clean texturework. This noisy clash of resolutions doesn't work at all.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:41:31 AM by Eigen » Logged

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 05:34:38 AM »

You're being overly ambitious. Again.

I've told you this on numerous occasions before but start by making something small. A game, where you'd spend most of the time creating content not the framework to support it. Some tile-based game with a simple mechanic where the meat of the game would be creating and balancing the levels. Be it small but make it darn polished. Go ahead and actually complete it and see how long it takes you. If you still want to make an RPG after that, feel free to do so.

Not the kind of first comment I was hoping for, but thanks anyways! Once again I am going to have to disagree with you. We'll see how this goes...

fylth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 12:04:40 PM »

No offence, but I'd listen to Eigen, his advice is sound. Me (and no doubt many others) have tried starting projects that just end up overwhelming you far too quickly, getting some experience and feedback on a few smaller projects will give you a far sounder foundation from which to work.

Whichever way you choose to go, best of luck
makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »

No offence, but I'd listen to Eigen, his advice is sound. Me (and no doubt many others) have tried starting projects that just end up overwhelming you far too quickly, getting some experience and feedback on a few smaller projects will give you a far sounder foundation from which to work.

Whichever way you choose to go, best of luck

No offence taken. However- I am going to have to disagree to you aswell. This time I`ll make stuff supersimple to add for myself.The best of luck will be used.

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 02:39:19 AM »

Added height at waterline, what do you think?(big thing is a character switch statue)

thekill473
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 02:57:05 AM »

Please do not make an rpg game in game maker, It's only good for small games that don't require a lot of framework, try this http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/ It takes care of all of the rpg framework so you can focus more on the content. And if you really want to do everything yourself then try C# and XNA, But please don;t use game maker for an rpg.
thekill473
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 02:57:58 AM »

And please don't use noise.... EVER!!! No offence.
makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 03:02:29 AM »

I will use GM, I can handle it. And about the noise grass-Ill look into it sometime, problably between 0.1 and 02, maybe even 0.3. And you please dont doublepost here, use the edit button, atleast on the first page.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 03:11:04 AM »

Okay, I don't have the slightest clue just how complex you intend to make this game, and I've only skimmed over your previous posts (and only because of the insistence that you tone it down) but what I'm getting is that you're a relatively inexperienced developer, possibly a younger one, and you seem to get in over your head a lot.

I know that feeling. For the longest time, I had totally convinced myself that SOMEHOW, I was going to make a MUD. Not an MMO. Nah. I was horrible at graphics for the longest time. So a MUD. Plus, you don't have to make a client that way right?

Well, I never made a MUD.

Instead, about 2 years or so ago, I wised up and made this. That's a far cry from what I thought my first game would be but it's simple and it's short and it illustrates the learning process. And I'm never taking that down. Tongue

Now I mainly tinker. I make small things that push different elements of game development. And eventually I'll stack all the things I've learned and make a bigger project. But 2 years or so of tinkering and I've barely scratched the surface. And that's just GameMaker (and some Flashpunk).

Point being, if other people are telling you you're being overly ambitious - and you're on your own - chances are you're being overly ambitious.

Tone it down. Make simple stuff. Learn piece by piece. Start piecing how to make different systems together. Slowly, ever so slowly, it becomes clearer.

And lastly, good luck. Smiley

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 03:19:50 AM »

Thats a long post man! Ive been making small stuff that never finished as a coding practice for the past 3 years in GM. So I suspect I'm able to pull this one off. Lets just see how it goes. As to you, you dont have to sign up for the newsletter, ill grant you the bonuses! Youll recive info on your PM. First letter is coming soon.

Zwonkie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 04:25:47 AM »

As to you, you dont have to sign up for the newsletter, ill grant you the bonuses! Youll recive info on your PM. First letter is coming soon.

What... Are you starting to send people information they haven't requested? Aren't that borderline to spam?

It's ok to have big ideas (although they may not come true) but please don't push it down the throat of other people until you actually have something to show for it!
makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 12:36:19 PM »

Lots of stuff too small to post here, but still interesting are being tweeted about(Including v0.1 current ETA). Go ahead, follow!

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 10:47:39 AM »

Happy February!

The 0.1 release was planned for Feb, 24th , however...I might just be able to pull it off before that ,maybe next week or 22nd! Stay tuned, more info rolling out to twitter.com/reckondash in the upcoming days when the last feature for 0.1 is pushed to development!

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 04:45:12 AM »

Last few features queuing up for development! Gonna be awesome! Pics soon! ETA : feb 22 or feb 24!

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 12:47:42 AM »

Doing the tedious landscaping today has let me to think about the nessecity to add a random terrain generator for 0.2 or 0.3. Currently I place every tile by hand wich is boring and tedious. I thought of a couple of concepts for the terrain generator-which one do you like the best?

Concept 1
Every object(buildings, character switch statues and so on) would have fixed co-ords, the terrain generator would lay down the tiles and trees, taking into account object locations so each building has some plain grass around it and is not sitting in a river.

Concept 2
Fixed MUST HAVE object names, but the terrain gen lays the tiles and the objects-possibility for failures.

Go ahead, tell me your opinion!  Smiley

EDIT: if anyone has a better idea, go ahead-say it out!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 07:10:49 AM by makerimages » Logged

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 04:08:45 AM »

For those of you, who are interested-I just finished the character switch system and now i only have to realign the selections and add a river on the maps lower-left empty area and then! and then! v0.1 this sundayYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 04:50:22 AM »

It`s here!
Yes!Finally!

Reckon Dash v0.1 is out!!!!!!!
Download!
In this version:

Features:
Save the game with V
Some button sounds
Character movement using right mouseclick
Character switching at the statue

Known Bugs(fixed ASAP)
Changing into Poocher may not work sometimes

Controls:

To move: Click anywhere in the room using your RIGHT MB
To interact with the statue: Move near it so that a rectangle appears under it, then click the LEFT MB on the statue, then left click on any of the portraits.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:43:29 AM by makerimages » Logged

fylth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 07:42:03 AM »

Im getting a "...is not a valid win32 program"
makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 08:43:20 AM »

I dont know what whent wrong during the compliation to the .exe, but its fixed now-try redownloading

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic