Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:33:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOnce Upon A Life
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Once Upon A Life  (Read 4797 times)
Chaz
Level 0

What the problem is?

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2013, 08:27:56 AM »

Random Reviews:

"The first game which makes me wanna cry. It's very beautiful and moving. Thank you!" - adrianfrodo

"A work of art as far as I am concerned." - Neder-it

I love the sound track to this awesome game! I downloaded it! Smiley - LordExcelen
t

Backstory:

Once Upon A Life
centers around a senior citizen named Harry who, one day whilst reminiscing over the pictures from his past, gets a nasty shock when a gust of wind blows through the window and sweeps his pictures away, scattering them throughout the world. Harry has walking sticks with built-in jet thrusters and goes on an adventure to recover them - an adventure that will take him from the retirement home all the way into space!

PLAY HERE!

Original Soundtrack:

//Download Soundtrack//

Preview Screenshots:

Intro Comic

Pirate Ship at Sea NEW!
   Harry's baseball memory
   Harry's Bartitsu memory
   Introducing Gentleman Shark
   Debonair Dragon
   Harry Builds A plane
   Love In Paris

Development Material:

Development Journal #1
    Development Journal #2

Preview Animations:

Harry's 3 Attack Combo

Links

Facebook.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:35:53 PM by Chaz » Logged

Chaz
Level 0

What the problem is?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 05:29:15 PM »

Rather than make a new post here, I've categorised and summarised all dev info from the previous post so far into the original post and will update from now on. Please let me know what you think, welcoming all feedback right now! Gentleman

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »

Awesome art. Harry's animation is so smooth and quick. Very cool. How does the plane factor into the gameplay? Is it a transitional stage between side scrolling action?

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:24:50 PM »

Wow, these look really nice! GLHF
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 01:10:42 AM »

There is a lot of charm here and any game featuring Bartitsu gets an immediate thumbs up from me! If there's one thing I would change it would be the title - seems a little clumsy and doesn't do justice to the lovely visuals and concepts.

(By the way, I think the answer to your bonus points question is elementary, isn't it?)

Chaz
Level 0

What the problem is?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 04:08:45 AM »

Awesome art. Harry's animation is so smooth and quick. Very cool. How does the plane factor into the gameplay? Is it a transitional stage between side scrolling action?

Thanks for the compliment hube! At one stage Harry finds himself on a desert island, and the only way to get off is to find the components of a crash-landed plane and rebuild it. You will be able to fly the plane for a little while and I don't want to ruin the story too much but that stage has the first quick-time event of the game Smiley

Wow, these look really nice! GLHF

Thanks Quarry Smiley

There is a lot of charm here and any game featuring Bartitsu gets an immediate thumbs up from me! If there's one thing I would change it would be the title - seems a little clumsy and doesn't do justice to the lovely visuals and concepts.

(By the way, I think the answer to your bonus points question is elementary, isn't it?)

Haha thanks Panurge, I'm glad you appreciate the addition of a fine martial art Tongue With regards to the title I absoloutely agree with you; fortunately, I've not made a logo for it yet and am still sort of looking to change it. It's silly really, I recorded that timelapse video and needed a name for the intro panel and rushed to a decision. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your feedback so far guys!

Chaz
Level 0

What the problem is?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 02:15:55 PM »

Saw one of hube's posts showing a gif making software called LICEcap and needed an excuse to use it because it's amazing!

Here are Harry's core sprite animations...(they look a bit laggy here but they run nicely at 60fps. Also they cut a bit weird, it was hard to make them loop nicely. So the idle looks nothing like that in actuality. D'oh!)

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 02:31:01 PM »

Saw one of hube's posts showing a gif making software called LICEcap and needed an excuse to use it because it's amazing!

Here are Harry's core sprite animations...(they look a bit laggy here but they run nicely at 60fps. Also they cut a bit weird, it was hard to make them loop nicely. So the idle looks nothing like that in actuality. D'oh!)

You can't post sprites directly from Dropbox.
Chaz
Level 0

What the problem is?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 02:57:47 PM »

Oh right, how come?

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 04:39:40 PM »

Gentleman hats off to that. lookin good.

Chaz
Level 0

What the problem is?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 06:47:27 AM »

Thanks hube.

Updated the title to something I think is much better and added the logo for it. Also updated the summary links for a second dev journal post and currently hard at work on making a swishy menu! Screeny on that soon  Smiley

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 07:31:55 AM »

Just checked out the HUD timelapse, amazing as usual!
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 10:15:35 AM »

I much prefer the new title. Awesome animations, too - that is one kickass pensioner!

Chaz
Level 0

What the problem is?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 02:51:36 PM »

Thanks a lot guys. I'm glad that you also gave me the push to finally change the shite title.

Still making the level select screen which is coming out nicely. Also wrote the script of his story and sent it to my voice actor as well as finishing up a mid-game comic (like a cutscene kinda thing).

I just want to post new images when I know it's close to final!

cubertron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 06:05:49 PM »

nice visuals dude! is it vector art? and how do you animate characters?
Chaz
Level 0

What the problem is?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 11:59:08 AM »

nice visuals dude! is it vector art? and how do you animate characters?

Thanks. Yep, Flash 8.

Chaz
Level 0

What the problem is?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 07:09:53 AM »

New image!

This is going underneath another notepad sheet with the credit's on so unless I make them switchable, I guess this is a little easter egg. There are a few references in there.

I really want to show you the menu in action but it's not quite finished and it might have some spoilers in it (level select thumbnails). Guess I'll just hold off for a little while longer. Submitted the game to IndieDB as well Smiley

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 07:36:58 AM »

This is pretty dystopian, I got such vibe from Harry being a "citizen"
Chaz
Level 0

What the problem is?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »

Haha, I guess that's what playing a shedload of Deus Ex does to you Tongue

Got the game on IndieDB now and started on the original soundtrack. Both links are on the main summary page!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:33:09 PM by Chaz » Logged

Chaz
Level 0

What the problem is?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 12:35:11 PM »

Updated main summary list. Currently designing level 28 / 32. Here's a new preview!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic