Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:43:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsANSI Submarine Game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: ANSI Submarine Game  (Read 9812 times)
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 07:56:54 AM »

Magical work, the code somehow looks as retro as the game itself, very apt.

Something I think could be interesting, you could track the air available in the submarine at the cost of visibility - maybe spawn an enemy sub or torpedo after a moment?

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 04:56:10 PM »

As of today, thanks to an engine fix, almost all of the basic gameplay is working.

All that's left to fix is the code for detecting when to say "ENEMY SIGHTED" and I'm at a massive loss for what's going on currently.

I am contemplating adding air, requiring you to stay surfaced to gain it back every few steps or something. If I can fit it into the Status area, I'll add it.

I am also going to slow the pace of the game significantly. The idea behind depth was that it was going to be a way to quickly dodge torpedoes, rather than switching tiles. Turns out that at the current pace, that's really hard to do.

EDIT: Enemy sighted code fixed. That was by far the oddest bug I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:19:19 PM by johnki » Logged

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 07:34:47 PM »

That's the best I could do to fit Air in.

Opinions? Critiques? Ideas for a 4th stat so that it's not so uneven?

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 07:37:12 PM »

Coal?
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 08:02:08 PM »

Here's my idea for a 4th stat but I'll need to know if this is over complicating it a bit.

Fire.

Yes. Fire.

It'll increase at a rate determined by how many times you were hit, how hard you were hit and how many crew members are left.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 09:23:29 PM »

Practically done.

I thought about slowing the game down and then I realized that there are already long periods of doing nothing. It's meant to have maybe 5 minutes per map maximum for now (I might make larger maps if people request it).

So instead I reduced the speed of torpedoes to 1/3 of what they were and then decreased the recovery period of torpedoes to half of what it was.

I also made it so that the AI only follow you within a certain range.

Due to the way that I have subs set up, it'd be pretty hard to make shallow water the way I intended to. If a feature for the engine comes out that lets me do that, I'll add shallow water but for the time being, I just don't think I can manage it.

As for fire, I don't really expect people to die from fire often but it's an interesting touch, I think.

All that's left to do now is make more maps and make sure everything is balanced nicely. It's pretty hard as-is but I think it is winnable with a little bit of determination. I also want to make it so that you get kicked back to the title screen when you die rather than the game closing.

Other than that, though, I'm done. So I think I can safely say I'm at 90% based on what I had originally wanted to do.

I'm going to finish it up and clean up the code over the next few days and release it when the Banshee Engine gets released.

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 09:26:17 PM »

Ideas for a 4th stat so that it's not so uneven?

The 4th stat should be "johnki" and it never drops below 100.

I really like the minimalism in this. I dunno what's possible with your maps but some high-level goals like "find the hidden wreck" or "chase the defecting sub" might be cool.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 09:31:50 PM »

I really like the minimalism in this. I dunno what's possible with your maps but some high-level goals like "find the hidden wreck" or "chase the defecting sub" might be cool.
I could do that pretty easily, I think, yeah. The maps are relatively small (bite-sized) but I could certainly add a few more objectives than just elimination. Hadn't even thought about that.

EDIT: Yeah, I think I'll do that. Not sure what kinds of objectives yet but variety would be good.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 10:01:07 PM »

As for fire, I don't really expect people to die from fire often but it's an interesting touch, I think.
Perhaps you could do away with fire and replace it with fuel and use that as a mission timer.
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 10:09:50 PM »

Perhaps you could do away with fire and replace it with fuel and use that as a mission timer.
I thought about that and thought that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to limit mission time but hearing that twice, meaning people don't think it's a bad idea, and coming to the realization that the maps are small, meaning a timer isn't such a horrible idea, and on top of that, realizing after some testing that fire does practically nothing within the confines of not being super-deadly, I think I'm going to make it fuel.

EDIT: Yeah. Changed it to fuel.

Also made it so it displays a message about how you died rather than ending the game.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:44:08 PM by johnki » Logged

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 10:44:44 PM »

You could always be generous with fuel on an early mission or two to ease players in before you start getting stringent. If the maps are quite static it shouldn't be a problem anyway 'cause you can just replay them over and over again. Unless we've all totally moved away from that kind of game design that is.
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 02:32:33 AM »

Ooh, fuel makes me think of desert strike where you needed to collect fuel barrels at regular intervals, making note whenever you passed one and trying to recall where the nearest barrel is at times of need.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 02:13:48 PM »

Maybe fuel depots could be added to each map in order to make the time limit more generous. Maybe grade the player after each mission and have the depots subtract from the rating if they've been accessed after a certain amount of visits. Oh hey, more work, but it could make the game even more interesting.
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 03:36:35 PM »

Oh hey, more work, but it could make the game even more interesting.
Yeah, it's not that I'm opposed to more work. It's more that this was originally just a project to get used to the engine. However, the more I think about it, the more I think I should probably make it more complex than I originally intended, especially given how quickly I was able to get the basis for the game done.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 05:00:46 PM »

Okay, I haven't really worked on this in a few days due to not feeling up to it (I've been sick) but here's the tentative plan for objectives:

1. Eliminate: What's already there. Eliminate everything on the map.
2. Capture: Grab all capture points on a map. You don't have to destroy every sub but it may be a good idea to.
3. Scout: Collect data on enemy whereabouts. For this, I'll have to reduce the sight for the enemies if on a specific map.
4. Target: Take out a specific target on the map to complete your objective.

Then on top of that, I'm going to add fuel depots that will bring the sub back to full fuel.

I'm also debating adding an (unknown) hard requirement to each map, that will be sort of like Star Fox, with the only distinguishment being a "Mission Complete" and "Mission Accomplished" sort of deal.

For example, one hard requirement might be to use 2 fuel depots or less.

I'm also debating adding a few larger maps since it wouldn't be all that difficult. Mostly, I'd just have to change the camera code.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 05:25:44 PM »

Perhaps with the bigger maps could come a sort of mission where the objective is to get from A to B.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 08:23:34 PM »

4. Target: Take out a specific target on the map to complete your objective.
Will this include surface targets? I like the idea of sneaking behind enemy lines, surfacing, taking out a capitol ship or two then trying to escape whilst they go ape shit with the depth charges.
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 08:56:52 PM »

Will this include surface targets? I like the idea of sneaking behind enemy lines, surfacing, taking out a capitol ship or two then trying to escape whilst they go ape shit with the depth charges.
I don't have minor surface-only targets (yet...I've been trying to decide) and the idea of a capital ship seems to imply a long-term campaign (which this won't have...just scenarios) but my first thought with the "Target" mode was to be after a (ridiculously large, compared to you) guarded carrier that is either stationary or making its way across a map and you have to take it out before it gets to the other side.

Perhaps with the bigger maps could come a sort of mission where the objective is to get from A to B.
Since the maps are so small right now, there are a number of things I've got planned for larger maps.

EDIT: And to be clear, for everyone's sake, the maps are only as big as the screen size used in the GIFs (40x40 tiles) hence why larger maps are a good idea.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2013, 08:19:49 AM »

Okay, set up:

- Fuel depots.
- Capture points.
- Capture objective.
- Larger maps. It was a ridiculously easy change.
- Some cleaner code for switching maps. Might clean it up more. Might not.

Working on:

- Figuring out why the Captain's Log won't print objectives if I set them on initialization of the player entity.

- Setting up the "Target" objective.

Need opinions on:

I made it so that your hull stat goes up by approx 1/100th of your crew stat each step. Right now, it's at a good point, I think, but I need opinions on whether having it regenerate at all was a good idea or not. The idea was that if there's a substantial amount of crew left, then there are some crew members that can repair the sub. However, it was just an idea and if people think that it's a bad one, I'll remove it.

Maybe I should make it so that there's a certain percentage of damage per hit that's permanent and you can't repair past that point? Or does that defeat the purpose?

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2013, 08:37:46 AM »

I made it so that your hull stat goes up by approx 1/100th of your crew stat each step. Right now, it's at a good point, I think, but I need opinions on whether having it regenerate at all was a good idea or not. The idea was that if there's a substantial amount of crew left, then there are some crew members that can repair the sub. However, it was just an idea and if people think that it's a bad one, I'll remove it.

Maybe I should make it so that there's a certain percentage of damage per hit that's permanent and you can't repair past that point? Or does that defeat the purpose?

Maybe each hit kills "n" crew members thus your ability to repair gradually depletes? Assume that say 30 of the crew are required for normal operations (navigation, torps, radar etc.) and the rest are maintenance your logic would then be something like:

hull += (crew>30) ? ((crew-30) / 100) : 0

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic