Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:03:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsANSI Submarine Game
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: ANSI Submarine Game  (Read 9813 times)
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2013, 04:49:16 PM »

Maybe each hit kills "n" crew members thus your ability to repair gradually depletes?
Yeah, that happens right now. I'll see about making the ability to repair drop off at some point that's not 0, though, yeah.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2013, 05:46:48 PM »

Changed:

- Fixed error with Captain's Log. You can now see the objective with a "!!" next to it at mission start.
- Fixed a behavioral issue with the AI.
- Got Capture mode fully working.
- Would like some opinions on this one. Made it so you can only go full speed under water. Sort of a "trade air for speed" type of thing. Sounded like a good idea in my head but, at this point, I'd have to change the rate of air degradation a slight bit because it's a bit too high if that's going to be the case.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2013, 07:52:37 PM »

In case you haven't thought it already, you should make air run out proportional to how many crew there are left  Smiley
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2013, 02:52:03 AM »

In case you haven't thought it already, you should make air run out proportional to how many crew there are left  Smiley

This, also the rate of air depleting in the gif is ridiculous
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2013, 02:58:07 AM »

Honestly, I hadn't. I'll implement that.

This, also the rate of air depleting in the gif is ridiculous
I was worried about that. It felt "fine" since I've been testing it a lot on small maps that don't require it to degrade much slower but I'll definitely tone it down.

Does it also regen too fast?

For reasons like those, again, if anyone has a copy of the alpha of the Banshee Engine, I'd be more than happy to send you the game files if you ask.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2013, 10:10:49 PM »

Changes:

- Made air deplete at a rate of (crew / 99) / 2.
- Made air recover at half of the opposite percentage.
- Made it so that you have a permanent amount of damage that is done to the sub (half of the amount of damage done by a hit) and can't be recovered. The idea behind it is that in situations where you're screwed, you're simply screwed. However, if you get hit hard and you can get away, you'll at least get a bit of a second chance.
- Added ships. They're mostly a copy-paste of the sub AI. They are always at the surface and can't see and/or react to you unless you're surfaced. Right now, they shoot torpedoes but I'm going to see about depth charges.

Ships are pretty much an annoyance right now. I have it set so that you can hit them whether you're surfaced or at the level just below the surface. This was probably a dumb idea and I'll change it to only if you're surfaced.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 10:09:01 AM »

Okay, after spending half the night swearing at my computer because I didn't realize that part x in the drawimagepart() function draws the specified part at the given x value (and doesn't offset it), I am very pleased to announce that I have gotten targets in and that the code that determines which part of the target is drawn is finished and I no longer have to change it other than removing deadweight variables.

So far, I have two targets but only one (the carrier) is implemented. Still working out the collision particulars but so far, tests are going well (as you can see).

The other is a stationary base that I might have spawn enemy subs.

Making that GIF also made me realize that I need to tone down the rate at which your crew dies when there's no air.

Lastly, I think I'm going to drop the scouting/recon objective and just stick with the 3 I have. I just don't see it being much fun.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2013, 11:19:26 AM »

Seems kinda weird that we're viewing it from a side-ish view, but the rest of the game seems very top-down.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2013, 11:31:10 AM »

Seems kinda weird that we're viewing it from a side-ish view, but the rest of the game seems very top-down.
You know, that hadn't hit me. For the most part, I was concerned more about getting it all working.

I'll introduce a more top-down image ASAP.

EDIT: New one.

Or two...

/EDIT

In the meantime, I introduced shallow water since I remembered that the getmaptile() function was added.

I also decreased the rate at which crew members die off when you run out of air.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:03:48 PM by johnki » Logged

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2013, 12:06:20 PM »

Are those << tiles water currents?

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 12:10:55 PM »

Are those << tiles water currents?
No. It's a carrier. Carriers have those takeoff lanes. It was the easiest way to create them without the lines looking totally out of place and without the lines altogether, the carrier looks bare.

Grayed the outer edges and then here's the comparison with stripes/arrows:

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 12:13:20 PM »

Oh, I get it now. Probably would've made more sense in the actual game.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2013, 12:14:23 PM »

Oh, I get it now. Probably would've made more sense in the actual game.
Possibly.

Does this make it easier to read?

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »

A little bit...
Try the 75% dithered tile maybe? Like you had on the original.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2013, 12:24:28 PM »

Try the 75% dithered tile maybe?
There.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2013, 12:38:10 PM »

I meant for the ship, but okay, that does help.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2013, 01:20:53 PM »

?
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2013, 03:12:41 PM »

And...done.

Took the solid-outer-line idea and ran with it. Tongue

EDIT: In-game.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:22:11 PM by johnki » Logged

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »

that is awesome.
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2013, 02:44:42 PM »

Temporarily Removed
Requires Banshee Engine.

I'm reaching a point where I really need feedback on the core systems. I've got pretty much everything necessary to build the rest of the game done. The basis for the entire game is there with content being the main concern now.

Now I need feedback so I can tweak and make everything feel rock solid before I go building all of the content around a certain setup and find that it isn't balanced at all.

There are currently 3 maps, as you may have seen. One ELIMINATE, one CAPTURE, and one TARGET. None of them have undergone balance testing. All are subject to kicking your ass.

EDIT: Oh, I suppose I should mention the controls:

Q: Speed down.
E: Speed up.
W: Ascend.
S: Descend.
A: Turn counterclockwise.
D: Turn clockwise.
1/2/3/4: Fire torpedo.

EDIT: There's also a version for 1.1.0a of the Banshee Engine available now (the original download is for 1.0.6a and before due to coding differences). Just updated it. It IS having issues with 1.1.1a at the moment, though.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 05:19:53 PM by johnki » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic