Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:51:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsANSI Submarine Game
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: ANSI Submarine Game  (Read 9811 times)
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2013, 07:56:37 PM »

Requires Banshee Engine.

Is this available somewhere? Perhaps a handy link or further explanation?

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2013, 12:02:43 AM »

Is this available somewhere? Perhaps a handy link or further explanation?
It's linked in the first post. Right now, it's in closed alpha.

It's been estimated that it'll be a few weeks til a public release is out. In the meantime, I'm hoping to get a bit of feedback from others using the engine.

EDIT:
Got it working with 1.1.1a.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 05:19:20 PM by johnki » Logged

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2013, 03:37:33 AM »

Upon request, I changed it so that your permanent damage can't go below the critical point where your crew are dying off. The critical point is pretty low since I changed it to 30 so allowing the player to always repair up to that point might actually balance it out a bit.

Other than that, I'm just sort of waiting until I can get more feedback before fleshing out content and think I'm going to start on a new project in the meantime.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2013, 03:53:48 PM »

Okay, so now that updates on the engine itself have slowed to a trickle and I've spent a week not working on this, I'm going to start working on it again because I feel like I'm wasting time.

Going to add another target level where you have to take out a base that has a finite number of subs that it can launch to thwart you.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2013, 03:09:56 AM »

And...delayed again. My hard drive failed. What that means is that I'll be starting over from where that first release left off. In the meantime, I can't work on it because the only working computer left is a Mac.

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2013, 10:35:51 PM »

And...delayed again. My hard drive failed. What that means is that I'll be starting over from where that first release left off. In the meantime, I can't work on it because the only working computer left is a Mac.

Well that sucks. Sad
Still want to play this. It's too bad about the engine dependency.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2013, 12:05:41 AM »

Alright, it's been 2 months without news from the engine's front, so as it is, ANSI Submarine game is dead. I just don't have the motivation to keep working on it when I can't release builds. It sucks. The engine was fundamentally finished and all I had to do was flesh out content and add a few more targets with different behaviors but I just can't justify working on the game as it was any longer.

That being said, I'm entertaining the idea of moving it to a new engine with a new look and Hexels is really making that idea seem fun.

So here's a preliminary look at what I was thinking...

Goran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2013, 01:07:43 AM »

Looks fantastic!

Also moving objects over fixed hex grid will give them an underwater shimmering quality Smiley

Looking forward to new direction.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2013, 10:55:08 AM »

Clearly, most of the game's mechanics are going to stay the same. Most or all of what I showed off in the GIFs is going to be kept in this game.

However, there are going to be some changes/improvements. Here's the list of things I want to change/improve:

- New damage model based on where you're hit. Having a 1-tile submarine didn't allow me to really work with damage models all that much.

- Rudimentary simulation of crew. Basically, the crew are in a specific part of the sub and, when that part gets hit, there's a chance they die and your ability to control the sub feels the effects of it.

- Make moving around more intuitive. Playing the ANSI version, it was difficult to remember to dodge using vertical movement and the actual process of changing depth didn't give a lot of feedback other than the tile for the enemy and the meter for depth changing. Definitely need to work on that. Also, movement is probably going to feel a lot more fluid on a hex grid with multi-tile entities. The easiest, most obvious change is, of course, a change in the color of the sub when changing depths.

- The move to 6-directional movement. I'm working with hexes. It only seems appropriate.

Also, I think I'm going to use LÖVE for this reboot. I had been working with Lua for the ANSI version and LÖVE has the benefit of having cross-platform support.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2013, 12:55:06 PM »

Thought a bit about longevity. Going over a few ideas in my head. So here goes.

1. Make a semi-large amount of polished, well-designed levels. This is where the original was headed. It works but I'm worried about longevity. The average level for the original was beaten in a minute or two. That'd be a LOT of levels if I wanted it to last long at all. But then there's the fact that this will be built differently, possibly be slower paced, and the levels will be much larger (I had been working on larger levels in the original but I'm not 100% sure they were going to last much longer than the small levels).

2. Do something like this:

This is a tactical map for an overarching campaign. A turn-based wargame to complement the real-time action. I figure I could have several campaigns.

Something not mentioned on the image. The idea is that where you start the battle on the campaign map reflects your battle map. If you start a battle near a fuel depot on the campaign map, it'll show up in the battle map. If you start a battle right next to a large patch of shallow water, a large part of your battle map will be shallow water.

I think the idea could be interesting.

3. A combination of the two. Campaigns and scenarios.

Lastly, I am still working on the color palette. Working on branching out from the 2 color palette I'm used to.

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2013, 06:24:26 PM »

The idea of an overall campaign sounds cool, but part of what drew me to this project in the first place was its simplicity. Quicks sub fights seemed like fun. I guess it's hard to say though without actually playing it.

If it were up to me, I'd first port the ANSI sub action gameplay over and get some feedback. Then add the campaign stuff on top. For example, it may be that randomly-generating the action levels, turning it more into a rogue-like, would work better for the game than a separate campaign mode.

I like the palette you're working with. I also liked your previous ANSI stuff and all the mockups you've done in the past too. I don't think you have anything to worry about wrt visuals.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »

The idea of an overall campaign sounds cool, but part of what drew me to this project in the first place was its simplicity. Quicks sub fights seemed like fun.
Awesome. This is probably exactly the kind of feedback I needed at this point. Smiley

Given that that is a draw, I certainly won't make a move to draw away from that.

I also suppose that, rather than worry about longevity based on the old version that was definitely a lot more limited than intended, I should port it over and see how long the average level lasts based on the new systems and go from there. I don't really want any one level to last more than 10 minutes but I'd certainly like them to last longer than a minute or two.

For example, it may be that randomly-generating the action levels, turning it more into a rogue-like, would work better for the game than a separate campaign mode.
Not sure how I feel about turning it into a roguelike but it couldn't hurt to prototype a random level generator once I've got the game more rebuilt.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2013, 12:28:35 AM »

Only real progress to show is that I got all six directions for the two basic units done. I spent most of the day working on learning the LÖVE API and adjusting to Hexels.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:38:17 AM by johnki » Logged

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2013, 06:52:56 AM »

After not quite being fond of LÖVE2D, I experimented with a few other systems. I think I've settled on Haxe/HaxePunk. Using HaxePunk feels incredibly natural after working with Flashpunk quite a bit, only with the added bonus of being able to compile natively for Windows, Mac and Linux all in one place. I've heard there are a few shortcomings but I haven't heard the exact nature of these shortcomings so, with any luck, I won't ever be affected by them.

Gib
Level 0

sup?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2013, 06:59:19 AM »

HaxePunk/HaxeFlixel are pretty rad. Being able to easily make desktop fullscreen games is cool coming from a flash perspective.

Welp, twitter and stuff. And b__g.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2013, 07:14:27 AM »

Will the screen be THAT gigantic?

Yeah.
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2013, 07:31:39 AM »

Will the screen be THAT gigantic?
Probably not. I exported it from Hexels at high res just because I could. Tongue

alts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2013, 11:13:07 PM »

After not quite being fond of LÖVE2D, I experimented with a few other systems. I think I've settled on Haxe/HaxePunk. Using HaxePunk feels incredibly natural after working with Flashpunk quite a bit, only with the added bonus of being able to compile natively for Windows, Mac and Linux all in one place. I've heard there are a few shortcomings but I haven't heard the exact nature of these shortcomings so, with any luck, I won't ever be affected by them.

I'm curious, what was it about LOVE that you weren't fond of? Most of the problems I've had when developing with LOVE were actually at the language level (small Lua issues).

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2013, 11:15:44 PM »

I'm curious, what was it about LOVE that you weren't fond of? Most of the problems I've had when developing with LOVE were actually at the language level (small Lua issues).
Honestly, I've been spoiled by game engines with Entity systems and I found it tiring to work without a semblance of one. That was the big thing there.

Probably not the best reason, but it's just a bit further out of my comfort zone than I expected.

alts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2013, 12:03:39 AM »

Honestly, I've been spoiled by game engines with Entity systems and I found it tiring to work without a semblance of one. That was the big thing there.

Probably not the best reason, but it's just a bit further out of my comfort zone than I expected.

Ah, yeah. LOVE provides very little, and much of the culture around it seems to be "just roll your own ___!", which isn't very conducive to getting started with it. I'll admit I'm guilty of it myself.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic