Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 06:28:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsProgrammer Art: Blender for Programmers tutorial series
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Programmer Art: Blender for Programmers tutorial series  (Read 3175 times)
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2013, 11:47:09 AM »

Hello all,

I've done a fair number of tutorials, but have skewed pretty code heavy, neglecting the art side of the fence, so I've set out to address that.

This new series is meant as an introduction to Blender, with the ultimate goal of educating a programmer all they need to know to create their own programmer art in Blender.  I wont teach you how to be an artist, I can't.  But I will show you how to do basic stuff in Blender and you can go from there.  In the end we will cover navigating blender, modelling, texturing, rigging/animating and possibly rendering.  Not in depth of course, thing of this like the coles notes version ( or Cliffs notes if you are British ).

Right now I have published the following tutorials, they are heavy in visuals and quick reference tables.

Blender For Programmers Part 1 -- The Introduction

An introduction to the tutorial series, and the Blender UI in general.  A guided tour of the basic UI.

Blender for Programmers Part 2 -- Selection and Navigation

In this section we cover basic operations in Blender.  First of all is selection, followed by how to navigate around the scene.

Blender for Programmers Part 3 -- Introduction to 3D modelling

We cover the basics of 3D modelling, configuring the view, and performing the most common transformations.

Obviously many more too come.  If you are a Blender veteran, this stuff will be so basic to you as to be a complete waste of time.  But if you have never used Blender, even if you arent a programmer, I think you will find them really helpful.  At least, I hope you do.

EDIT:

Blender for Programmers Part 4 -- Modelling operations

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:03:47 AM by Serapth » Logged
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:59:54 AM »

Part 3 is now live:

Blender for Programmers Part 3 -- Introduction to 3D modelling

In this section we cover the basics of 3D modelling.  Configuring the view for your display, switching between edit modes, then the most common basic transformations, moving, scaling and rotating, as well as demonstrating how to restrict movement to a single axis, or enter values directly.
GBolt_0
Level 0

16-Bit Turd

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 10:04:22 AM »

Neat stuff. This should prove useful. :D

I implore you to forgive my speaking of English, as I'm not so premium with it.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 11:04:32 AM »

Just updated part 4, this one is basically the final informational piece regarding modelling.  At this point you should have all the information you need to create your first 3D model.

I am going to do a "putting it all together" type tutorial, then move on to texturing.  Hope these are proving useful.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 08:22:53 AM »

Add part five.  It's simply all of the quick reference material put together in one place.

I am now done modelling.  Texturing next I think.
eedok
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 01:38:53 PM »

really like this series, looking forward to when you get to texturing and animating
comma
Level 0

Magnus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 03:21:41 PM »

Very good tutorial, i think this is the best i saw ever.

It\'s me Magnus!
CharsAce
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 04:50:14 PM »

I've been following this tut. You're doing a great job with it man.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 09:14:14 AM »

Glad you guys have enjoyed them, hopefully Ill get into texturing soon.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic