Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 04:54:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignTight gameplay
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Tight gameplay  (Read 8391 times)
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2013, 01:13:07 PM »

Why do you think you deserved better?  You asked me if I'd actually played it - an insult - and asked me if I'd watched skilled players play it - which has nothing to do with what I was talking about (and in any case, the most mundane activities can be made fascinating by a skilled person).  Nothing you said is an argument, and you didn't bother to touch the specific claims I made - so why would you expect one out of me?  Please don't respond to this post.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2013, 01:27:06 PM »

Stay on topic, peeps.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2013, 02:15:14 PM »

You asked me if I'd actually played it - an insult
I'm sorry but I didn't mean that as an insult. I meant that as an honest question.

But ok, here's why I think it's a great FPS:
It has varied and deep movement system - strafe jumping (and bunny hoping in CPMA), rocket/nade jumping, plasma climbing (that one is not really suited to the deathmatch gametypes, more useful in Defrag, but still a nice thing)...
A few but very distinct weapons each having their specific use.
Good maps which complement the movement nicely + editor (and therefore lots of great community maps).
Modability (CPMA, Defrag, Urban Terror, Tremulous).
And then, it's not just about good aim. It's about item control/timing, using the right weapons at the right time, listening to the enemy pickups, knowing the spawn points, predicting what the enemy will do next.
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2013, 11:36:37 AM »

I agree with rivon.

If you get the armor and megahealth first and know all the spawn points you can dominate the 1 on 1 game and be unstoppable. Loading player spawn points with grenades and rockets upon killing your opponent and perfect timing of item respawns to avoid camping and exposing yourself isn't dull at all.

Also all weapons feel balanced, no weapon is better than another if you know exactly when to use them. I remember fragging dudes with railguns across DM17 (a wide open map) with just the machinegun+ammo you get when you spawn by walking in random patterns. A point-blank shotgun shot (all pellets hitting) can be more damaging than a point-blank rocket (-125hp vs -100hp if I remember correctly)

Q3's CTF is one of the funniest, more engaging that I've played in FPS games. It's fast pacing makes it very exciting.

Working on HeliBrawl
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »

There's no other game with fastcapping Smiley (not counting other Quake games and mods)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic