Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 07:23:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCowboy RTS game
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Cowboy RTS game  (Read 24002 times)
Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2014, 03:32:56 AM »

First few tries I got annihilated within a minute. But if you build a saloon right after the workers tent and pump out a few bombers, you'll deal with it pretty easily.

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2014, 06:24:01 AM »

Thank you all for the feedback :D

I'm glad it's sparking a little interest, yeah you need to build some worker tents, then a saloon to churn out some units. Boomers are crazy classed at moment. TNT = instant!

You can directly control the units from the Saloon's by clicking on them, or drag select to control more than one at a time.

Smiley

There's a play through video posted here:

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »

Very cool! At first the UI had me confused, but it's not unsurmountable - my second game went much better, and I was dispatching baddies like nobody's business. Smiley

Some notes:
- The mood is great: a camp in the wild west that will be under attack at any moment, and everybody needs to circle the wagons. Great choice to add sound/vfx this early in the dev process to reinforce it.
- Destructible terrain is strategically interesting - it took me a while to figure out that the enemy was also using it to get to me (not sure whether deliberately). And the scorched earth holes are a great touch!
- Wild west theme is great, and underrepresented. Then again I would say that, wouldn't I? Smiley

Some low hanging fruit:
- I would dearly love:
1. Mouse pan (maybe shift + drag?)
2. Zoom in/out with mouse wheel
3. A pause button! :D
- Fog of war currently looks like a glitch in asset loading, it looks like tiles have failed to load - see screenshot: http://imgur.com/BBq7Shr
- I couldn't figure various parts of the UI, or couldn't figure out where I can place the mine.

All in all, cool stuff! Right now it plays like a TD game more than an RTS, so I'll be curious how the gameplay will evolve!

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2014, 04:42:28 AM »

Cleaning up hard drive after Reprisal Universe's launch and came across Cowboys Vs Monsters ... Then I started to draw more buildings, started to look at the code, started to change stuff, started getting sucked back into the project!  Smiley

Thomas_
Level 0

https://twitter.com/DustbowlAGS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2014, 01:00:57 PM »

It's really early days but basically it will be defending your base camp, collecting gold for building defences and hiring new Cowboys to your posse. There will be game play influences from Dungeon Keeper and DTD style games with a bit of Dune II and even a bit of Syndicate all mixed together in a wild west setting.
Defences, Dune II, Syndicate, despite I'm not fond of cowboys (still it's an original, interesting and unexploited theme), this game is for me! :D

RinseWashrepeat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2014, 05:29:14 AM »

For a second I thought this project had died!

Glad to see your launch went well and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with this one.

Dewfreak83
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2014, 06:10:22 PM »

Very cool and different. Would be cool if it was a bit like Majesty too (no direct control of dudes)  Smiley

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2014, 09:39:55 AM »

Hi all,

On this cold, damp, Friday afternoon I've reinstated the beta demo / work in progress / broken / placeholder link to Cowboys Vs Monsters after tinkering with it some more. I've just become a dad so will plug away at this in the early mornings of no sleep :D

Who knows how long it's going to take to finish but will try and post progress here as it happens.

Playable link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2130125/cowboysvsmonsters/cowboys.swf

Just thinking about the overall game play arch and thinking it's going to be a 'discover where the drop off point is and deliver something safely' type missions, but will see ...

Smiley

dynasty9
Level 0

Let's do this

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2014, 10:42:18 AM »

I <3 this style, music, and the fresh take take on rts.

azdak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2014, 12:22:55 PM »

Wow, that beta/demo was pretty damn cool- all the way fleshed out this would amazing. Well done!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic