Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:04:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XX - A Frantic Shift (REVIEWED)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XX - A Frantic Shift (REVIEWED)  (Read 6439 times)
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« on: February 04, 2013, 02:22:08 PM »

TIGSource Musical Challenge XX

Theme:

A Frantic Shift

Description:
There has been a shift in the game play which requires the music to lift the intensity. Is it the last lap? Time is running out? Huge wave of enemies? etc

Example:
Super Street Fighter (time is running out) or Mario Karts (last lap).

Criteria:
Must be a new, single composition.
The composition should have two clearly definable sections.
Section one is the tune while game play is Normal and then Section 2 should be the music while the game play is Frantic.

Consider that the transition would be triggered by a sudden event in a game. Don't write it like a film composition.
Example:
Normal Music (loops endlessly) -> trigger activated -> transition -> Frantic music.

Judging:
This isn't hard to do so I will be looking for a few specific things (in order of importance):
Creativity: How do you create a sense of "fantic-ness" and intensity. Zero points for repeating the normal music at a faster tempo...
Transition: Does the transition from normal to frantic have a big impact?
Quality: Is the entire piece a quality composition?

Deadline:
19th Feb is the last day for submitting (no extensions).
I'll do the usual brief critique and we'll vote for the winner from the selection I choose.

All the best and have fun!  Gentleman

Leo J

NOTE:
So after posting this I went back through the 2012 themes and noticed this has been done before. After listening to a few of the submissions though, I think we can still go ahead. This is not just an "escalation" or a gradual build but a sudden shift. While the shift was optional in the "escalation" comp (and few seemed to use it), it is now compulsory.
If people aren't happy please let me know and I will make another theme tonight.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:35:15 PM by Leo J » Logged

Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:36:31 PM »

Cool theme Leo J! Looking forward to see what I can make of this!

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 07:49:50 AM »

Sounds interesting. Smiley I may be thinking of ideas already, but what holds me back is this: do you mean the shift should be sudden a la scary scenes or more gradual than that?

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 01:22:20 PM »

Read the "note" I put at the bottom. I want two distinct, independent sections, not a build.
It is a sudden change triggered by a sudden event in a game. Think about how it would work in a game. Consider all possibilities.
As long as it fits the criteria you can do horror, racing, action etc.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:35:44 PM by Leo J » Logged

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 06:25:59 PM »

Hm. Difficult theme. Will have to think about this one.

HDSanctum
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »

I appreciate the clarity and interesting nature of this theme, while at the same time not being restrictive Hand Thumbs Up Left Perhaps I will find time to try something.
Peregrinus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 12:58:20 PM »

Two things came to my mind while reading this challenge.

First : When you play Aion, you have a peaceful theme and as soon as you draw your weapon, it automatically switch to a heavy guitar rhythm.

Second : This scene from Pirates of the Caribbean 3 : At World's End.

You have the big build up while the two ships align (not seen in the video) and then they all yell FIRE and as soon as the canons shoot, big shift in the music : you now have the dramatic tune expressing Beckett's total annihilation.
Ok it isn't a game, but I guess it fits xD

Really nice theme, I hope to have the time to participate in it, even if it is kind of hard for me these days v__v

There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

I'm a composer. If you would like to hear my work : http://soundcloud.com/n-galipeau
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 01:18:09 PM »

are you absolutely serious about that no time extension thing? because if so, I probably won't be able to participate this time
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 01:44:16 PM »

I might do an extension for more than a few people but not just one.
I don't like the idea of everyone working within a time frame, they work hard to finish on time and suddenly one person asks for an extension.
Think of it this way... You may not get an "extension" in the real world and I'm pretty sure Jerry Goldsmith wrote and recorded the entire China Town soundtrack in this same time frame.
 Wink

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 01:51:11 PM »

You have the big build up while the two ships align (not seen in the video) and then they all yell FIRE and as soon as the canons shoot, big shift in the music : you now have the dramatic tune expressing Beckett's total annihilation.
Just remember to shift to "Frantic". This is kind of the opposite. Started a little frantic, building suspense and then went to something more sombre.

Peregrinus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »

Just remember to shift to "Frantic". This is kind of the opposite. Started a little frantic, building suspense and then went to something more sombre.

Oh. I see. Well forget about that PoC exemple, just the Aion one! XD

There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

I'm a composer. If you would like to hear my work : http://soundcloud.com/n-galipeau
8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 07:09:07 PM »

Think of it this way... You may not get an "extension" in the real world and I'm pretty sure Jerry Goldsmith wrote and recorded the entire China Town soundtrack in this same time frame.
And 12 days for Air Force One, so we get 2 extra!
But of course not everybody is Jerry, and the 6 day scandal that is the Tomb Raider soundtrack is the perfect example of that...Screamy

Nice theme Leo! Guess I better get to work...
trurkowski
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 04:54:22 AM »

Awesome, This should be a really good one for me!

Sound Design & Music Composition<br />http://soundcloud.com/trurkowski
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 10:28:09 AM »

I doubt that goldsmith had to write exams and work alongside in these two weeks. anyway, I get your point and it's not like it would mean the end of the world to me. anyhow, good luck to the contestants!
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 12:38:01 PM »

But we're only doing one song of basically no value versus an entire film score... Wink  All the best with your exams and hopefully you fit a song in for the comp.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 12:56:12 PM »

Sounds cool, I might get in on this.

hi
8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 10:48:08 PM »

Guess I'll go first! Out of Sight / Market Melee, A Stealth/Action Adventure! Ninja

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 11:37:25 PM »

I'll save my comments till the end Wink

Zoe Coleman Music
Level 1

Composer based in Brighton, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 08:07:52 AM »

I'll try to enter this one as I've been lurking on here for a while - but life is stupidly busy at the moment Sad maybe next time

Website | Soundcloud | Twitter |

Justsometoast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »

One of the better themes I've seen for these challenges. Definitely entering.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic