Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:31:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XX - A Frantic Shift (REVIEWED)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XX - A Frantic Shift (REVIEWED)  (Read 6534 times)
Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 11:06:35 AM »

Leo J, I'm working on a piece that has a noticeable shift in intensity, but it isn't particularly "frantic" as in chaotic. Would that be qualified? Thanks!

BTW, I just changed my name from Tejas Shroff to my business name: MusiCore Studios, in case anyone is wondering!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:34:23 PM by MusiCore Studios » Logged

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 01:10:19 PM »

No worries, just include a brief description.

KeepItSimple
Level 0

Classically trained composer and trumpet player.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 10:21:50 PM »

My entry:
https://soundcloud.com/simplykept/a-frantic-shift
Hope you like it. It starts one loop at each of the two sections to give an idea of how it might function in-game. The horn signal that triggers the shift would be some kind of in-game triggered thing. Tried to place it as randomly sounding as possible.

Keep it simple.
Zoe Coleman Music
Level 1

Composer based in Brighton, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 06:09:12 AM »

Guess I'll go first! Out of Sight / Market Melee, A Stealth/Action Adventure! Ninja

I love this!

Website | Soundcloud | Twitter |

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 10:57:14 AM »

Guess I'll go first! Out of Sight / Market Melee, A Stealth/Action Adventure! Ninja

I noticed the 3 + 4 polyrythm in the frantic part, very nice. I like those little harpsichord things in the background. Nice sounding strings. A+.

Moromis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 12:28:28 PM »

http://soundcloud.com/moromis/into-the-jaws-of-the-sea-god

My entry... Kind of late 90's main theme, transitioning into an all out boss battle. The bit at the end would be once you win.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:39:03 PM by Moromis » Logged

Live 3-6 PST

Mai sounds

Mai arts
Steparnicus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 03:18:14 PM »

Here's my entry:

https://soundcloud.com/stephenhart27/infiltration-alert-phase

I've opted for the Stealth/Action angle, going from infiltration to a frantic alert phase.

Although I couldn't resist adding a bit of a progression, the first part is a fairly short loop.  I wanted the shift to be quite jarring as I wanted to give the impression that it could have happened at any point.

Hope you guys like it! I'm new around here =)

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 04:15:33 PM »

For this, I just went all-out classic horror, which was the best kind of genre I could think of, given the guidelines..... Tongue

EDIT: changed my mind; upon reading the guidelines again, I think it sounds more like a film score.... Tongue

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 07:06:39 PM »

For this, I just went all-out classic horror, which was the best kind of genre I could think of, given the guidelines..... Tongue

EDIT: changed my mind; upon reading the guidelines again, I think it sounds more like a film score.... Tongue

I just listened and I disagree. I'm not going to explain it for you in case you decide to re-submit but I could have easily written a description describing how this would fit perfectly into the criteria.

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 08:21:08 PM »

Alright; if you think it fits in after all, then I'll resubmit it.

https://soundcloud.com/sgtyayap404/an-alien-nightmare

It just seems to be difficult (for me, at least) to make a drastic shift without it sounding like it's meant for a movie over a game. I don't mind the challenge; I guess I just got nervous.

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 09:18:30 PM »

I encourage everyone to give a little extra detail regarding how they expect the tune to work within a game. Some of you already have...
I'm enjoying listening to the submissions!  Grin

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 11:35:51 PM »

Here's my entry:

I've opted for the Stealth/Action angle, going from infiltration to a frantic alert phase.

Although I couldn't resist adding a bit of a progression, the first part is a fairly short loop.  I wanted the shift to be quite jarring as I wanted to give the impression that it could have happened at any point.

<3

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 09:03:36 AM »

Imagine getting a phone call from the future. It could be a mission. It could be a warning. One thing's for sure: what follows is a frantic shift.

https://soundcloud.com/mattmeyer/time-phone-2-0

Warning: This song uses the sound of phone interference and a phone ringing.  It's only a part of the song Smiley
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:12:09 PM by superchop » Logged

Steparnicus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 02:18:35 PM »

Here's my entry:

Although I couldn't resist adding a bit of a progression, the first part is a fairly short loop.  I wanted the shift to be quite jarring as I wanted to give the impression that it could have happened at any point.

<3

Thanks duder! =)

Also @ Leo, how often do challenges like this get posted?  I had a blast making my entry and hope its a regular thing I can take part in.

And @8thMode, where are your string sounds from? they are amazing.

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 02:45:55 PM »

Seems like this has been going on for a while. I only just joined the fun last month.
From what I gather, it moves as quick as each comp does. When one finishes, the next one begins.

8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 03:08:28 PM »

They're from Spitfire's Loegria http://www.spitfireaudio.com/albion-ii-loegria.html

I love your entry btw, high energy awesomeness! And I love the choice of dorian in the alert phase, makes it so unique!
Moromis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 03:24:49 PM »

They're from Spitfire's Loegria http://www.spitfireaudio.com/albion-ii-loegria.html

Woah. That's really crazy how expensive that is. I mean, in the grand scheme of music making, and especially if you're a studio, it's not a big deal. I only have freeware and free sample packs though, so that's crazy. I spent almost that much on my DAW... I keep having to reorganize my thoughts on business costs in this job.

Live 3-6 PST

Mai sounds

Mai arts
8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 05:24:23 PM »

Woah. That's really crazy how expensive that is. I mean, in the grand scheme of music making, and especially if you're a studio, it's not a big deal. I only have freeware and free sample packs though, so that's crazy. I spent almost that much on my DAW... I keep having to reorganize my thoughts on business costs in this job.
It's an understandable price though, considering how much it costs them to hire the players/hall/engineers/etc... And I can't imagine having the job of editing all those samples Tired
Steparnicus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2013, 12:42:11 PM »

Seems like this has been going on for a while. I only just joined the fun last month.
From what I gather, it moves as quick as each comp does. When one finishes, the next one begins.

Great news, well I'll definitely be sticking around and getting involved.  I've been making music for ages now but have lacked a proper focus.  Getting involved in game music seems like great fun =)

I love your entry btw, high energy awesomeness! And I love the choice of dorian in the alert phase, makes it so unique!

Ooooh I'm gonna have to get hold of that at some point, does seem very pricey but you're definitely getting what you pay for there! Is there a lot of flexibility in the velocity settings on it? I've only recently got into using Kontakt instruments and Im finding a lot of disparity between different instruments in terms of how the samples trigger.

And thank you for the feedback =) It goes without saying that I really love your entry as well, there are so many subtle elements like those little plucked flourishes (dulcimer or harpsichord?) along with the swelling strings really made for a rich sound.  I got a distinctly middle-eastern vibe from it if that was intentional? 

8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2013, 02:22:47 PM »

There's a lot of flexibility with the modwheel, which allows you do swell and fade, and made it sound less static. And there's different mic positions/Instruments/articulations etc...
But that's just the one I chose. There's a ton of string libraries (If you think this one's expensive give LASS or Symphobia a google. Wink Hand Money Right )
And yeah it's a dulcimer, from the same company actually. (Except it's only $2...)
And I'd been playing some Uncharted 3, so I guess the middle eastern flavor crept in!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic