Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411418 Posts in 69362 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 06:14:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesRealistic Espionage Games?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Realistic Espionage Games?  (Read 4779 times)
Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 12:57:04 PM »

Octodad.

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 12:58:34 PM »

Usually I think if someone demands realistic espionage or a realistic driving simulator, these are the common words to choose. How do you know everyone is just for the feel only because you are?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 01:20:58 PM »

dude. relax. feel is the experience. that's all there is. simulation is just one tool in the creation of feel.

beyond that, the degree of simulation is a separate issue from the quality. I can make a game that realistically approximates a single aspect of reality, just 1, and that is no less realistic than a game that approximates 2. scale and quality of simulation are different ideas.

I am not dissing simulation. you can simulate up your ass if you want to. I am saying that:
  1. realism does not require simulation
  2. simulation does not require massive scale

There are certain kinds of realism that do require simulation, but from the two things Orz has said, neither you or I know if the kind of realism he has in mind does. ... You are saying that a realistic espionage game requires both simulation and one of a large scale, therefore realism isn't a good priority. That's narrow minded. You are assuming all sorts of things about how realism must be created. I am saying there are many options. See the irony?

edit: I should say that by "feel" I mean all that the player experiences. that may have been misleading.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:45:15 PM by Graham. » Logged
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 06:25:14 PM »

You are saying that a realistic espionage game requires both simulation and one of a large scale, therefore realism isn't a good priority.
No, my first mention was that realistic espionage simulation probably wouldn't be that enjoyable in the first place.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 07:01:50 PM »

Why not? You just have to find the joy. Real espionage must have _something_ exciting about it.

I imagine, at least in my own head, that the player has to constantly cover how he really feels, and not let little clues slip up, that might cause trouble for him later, hold his breath as he gets close to a dangerous topic. You are killed by conversation. But this takes us down the dynamic conversation path, which is always my path. ... I'm sure you can simulate it visually though. I'm sure.

---

Ok. So there's a group of people doing something. Everyone has loyalties. All these people and their "conversation" is expressed through motion. So you're in this 3d world, and everyone is going around doing things in patterns. One guy shows support for another, but it's slightly racist, and that suits his character, and that's shown visually.... Maybe each kind of action requires moving over to certain objects and gesturing, or doing something mechanically challenging. Like being racist requires solving an obvious puzzle in a time limit or something.

Then the player has to study the tone of the room and drive it in the right direction, to get the information he needs, or establish the kind of social status he needs, to get in good with one project and so on. ... He has to keep a careful study of the nuances of everyone's behaviour, the way a Bayonetta player studies the motions of the monsters. Then he has to react in a way that suits it. If he rides the line too closely the risk of his "cover being blown" increases. This could work.

The design is very hard for a while, but once you crack some tough nuts the gold will flow.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:16:48 PM by Graham. » Logged
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 08:35:09 PM »

Why not?
I fear giving the simulated guards a realistic field of view and perception will make the game already unplayable. It means only specialized agent-friendly settings could make up for it, that's the bottleneck.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 08:58:25 PM »

that's such an arbitrary restriction.
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 10:08:23 PM »

Not human spy like, but getting the cover blown was still as annoying, Hacker II: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_II:_The_Doomsday_Papers

Remote control a robot in an enemy security facility. You've got four monitors, but also the facility guards. Overlay signals to hide your robot in rooms and avoid getting caught.
Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 10:09:34 AM »

Octodad.

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
Yougiedeggs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 01:13:54 PM »

Covert Action, Sid Meier's DOS espionage game sounds up your alley.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 05:07:57 PM »

realistic espionage game: 55 year old sam fisher cant do a single pull up, stands around outside an azerbaijani embassy staring at an open window until he gets asked to leave
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 07:11:31 PM »

__realistic espionage game: hide in plain sight to obtain intimate secret
unrealistic espionage game: hide in shadow to obtain intimate secret

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic