Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:43:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignCoop only?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Coop only?  (Read 2135 times)
Samuelboucher
Level 0

The only way out is through

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2013, 07:13:23 PM »

Hi there!

I'm Sam and I want to discuss something that's in my head for a long time...

Is there any good Coop Only game? Is it doable to have a console game where you absolutely need someone else to play with?

I was thinking about a game where you need to work together to pass over levels, one guy is doing something really different from you, maybe he is in a different world so you can't play the game without him because he is controlling the world you're in...

Is a non-single-player videogame something utopian? Do you have some good example?

Let's discuss!

ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 07:16:55 PM »

every single moba
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 07:19:02 PM »

every single moba
I wouldn't quite classify that as co-op only.

That'd make every online-only shooter co-op only.

They're competitive team-based games whereas I'd classify a co-op game as a game that has a mode where all players are on the same team working towards the same goal.

Bearing that in mind, Co-Op is one. Tongue

Samuelboucher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 07:29:36 PM »

every single moba
I wouldn't quite classify that as co-op only.

That'd make every online-only shooter co-op only.

They're competitive team-based games whereas I'd classify a co-op game as a game that has a mode where all players are on the same team working towards the same goal.

Bearing that in mind, Co-Op is one. Tongue

Co-op seems awesome! Is there any major game on consoles for example that has that model?

Kaaeden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 07:13:21 AM »

LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2

While these are not co-op only, they are excellent examples of the theme your going for.
Just a forewarning if it's your first time hearing of the game, because many people iv'e suggested this to have been turned-off by this fact. A first look might classify it as a children's game due to it's childish appeal; however, its complexity and possibility within the game far exceeds the capability of any 7-10 year old.

Taking a look at the levels within the game, you'll see how there are obstacles that require 2-4 players in order to get through. In some cases there are entire levels that cannot be completed without 4 players.
You could try using these examples to help form your concept.

There are three types of people in this world; those who can count and those who can't. -bumper sticker.
DrunkDevs
Level 1

Drink beer and make games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 10:33:03 AM »

I would check out Portal 2's co-op mode.

Want more Drunk Devs?
DrunkDevs.com / Facebook / Twitter

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 12:45:38 AM »

Ibb & Obb, Super Space ____, Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light, Schizoid, there are definitely a few out there.

Splinter Cell's later games (Chaos Theory+) have some really good co-op modes too, very forced interactions (in a good way, required teamwork) and they're practically separate games.
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 12:04:51 AM »

I really hate it when games are Coop only. I can understand multiplayer only - eg TF2 (but even that has bots for offline play). But Coop only? Usually my troll friends refuse to get it  Mock Anger, and often my stupid internet drops out  Angry A single player campaign is really nice. Think Borderlands, that is designed for Coop but has a singleplayer campaign...

So long and thanks for all the pi
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 05:55:28 AM »

I really hate it when games are Coop only. I can understand multiplayer only - eg TF2 (but even that has bots for offline play). But Coop only? Usually my troll friends refuse to get it  Mock Anger, and often my stupid internet drops out  Angry A single player campaign is really nice. Think Borderlands, that is designed for Coop but has a singleplayer campaign...

You didn't talk about local co-op
I got nice examples !

it's a co-op only game but it got an IGF award

And what about ...

New Super Mario B. Serie
Castle Crashers

All those game were designed for co-op ...
and they did very well on the market !

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:40:22 AM by Whiteclaws » Logged
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 06:28:08 AM »

I completely forgot Local Coop...  Shocked
There's so many amazing games with local coop - Cobalt by Oxeye is is development (and the coop campaign looks awesome. Monaco - What's Yours Is Mine has REALLY good coop...  Cool

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 01:47:31 PM »

Co-op only doesn't sound like a smart business move.... There are multiplayer only games, like Natural Selection, Counter Strike. But those can sustain with 2-32 players etc.

If your project is a "fun" project then why not do it? If it's a way to make income, then consider the single player campaign. You can focus on the co-op, drive players to it, but being co-op only is short-sighted.

Unless... you make it painfully easy to get into a group. Then I think it's okay, of course depending on your design. ... Has to have online play for this to make sense.

Co-op only: http://sleepisdeath.net/
Samuelboucher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 08:55:17 AM »

Thanks for all those inputs, "Love in a dangerous space time" is definitely a game I'm looking forward to!

Local coop is something really interesting, take Spaceteam for example :

I think that game is amazing for bringing strangers/friends together.  There's definitely something there to work with!

Also, if you have other suggestions, go!

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 10:18:17 AM »

Locking ANYTHING is often a bad idea - *cough*always online drm*cough*
E.G. Hotline Miami forces you to use one control scheme - Totalbiscuit was heavily critical of this.
I can understand it for multiplayer games - the devs might not want to code A.I. for bots. But coop, where bots will probably be there anyway? How difficult would that be? Coop only sounds like the kind of thing a massive AAA company like Ubisoft would do...

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 03:28:01 AM »

Spaceteam is co-op only and it's fantastic!

sebaslive
Level 0

One of the Four

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »

your first post accurately described WAY. Different worlds, helping each other out, Co-op only. Great game, I still have pictures of my first play through.

http://www.makeourway.com/

*This game loosely inspired journey.

Indie all around when it comes to games, films, stories, and art.
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 11:15:55 AM »

How has no one brought up the Left For Dead series yet  No No NO

Life sucks and then you die.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 10:42:36 PM »

Yeah, but I guess coz it has the option be played as a singeplayer zombie game, doesn't it?

ompuco
Level 3

oh my god whats happening

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 11:26:18 PM »

The project I'm currently working on is co-op only, mainly since that's what all the gameplay and world design is being built around. I have felt worried about the fact that it wouldn't have any option for single player gamers, but I decided I'd try my best not to worry about it at the moment so I can get the general game designed first and also not limit any co-op based design concepts.

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 12:52:43 AM »

Yeah, but I guess coz it has the option be played as a singeplayer zombie game, doesn't it?

The "single player mode" is just the AI filling in the roles of the other players, it's impossible to actually play on your own. It's a co-op game through and through

Life sucks and then you die.
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 03:55:14 AM »

I would check out Portal 2's co-op mode.

Yup pretty much

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic