Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1034690 Posts in 41740 Topics- by 33335 Members - Latest Member: martocao

August 21, 2014, 01:59:04 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeArtWorking on my first run cycle
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Working on my first run cycle  (Read 3295 times)
Pedrosanchau
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 02:23:45 AM »

Indeed, the last one seems much more realistic to me.
Selben Coirlo
Level 8

totally awesp,e/

selbencoirlo
View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 05:25:36 AM »

The almost certainly final version. Now I just have to actually, uh, draw the frames... and color them.

b2thec
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 03:25:37 PM »

She seems like she is putting no effort into moving. Make her feet have more impact on the ground. Which in turn should make her dip down a little on impact then spring up into her next stride.
Pedrosanchau
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2013, 12:38:22 AM »

He wants a graceful run, so i think it is good for the "no effort" thing.
Muzz
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 07:04:49 PM »

Nice work!

Your large arcs are fairly nice, but you really need to watch your small arcs. The head is vibrating around a ton. With animation you have to be really careful that everything is in the right spot. You need to be very disciplined with it as it is super hard.

Probably not worth it now but i would recommend getting the motion nice with just 4 frames, and when you get that then proceed onto the full amount.

for example this is how i would start a run cycle.(obviously super rough, and shitty drawings but you get the idea.)

Selben Coirlo
Level 8

totally awesp,e/

selbencoirlo
View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2013, 08:50:24 PM »

Yeah, I'm staying at my brother's place and forgot until a few days ago that I'd actually lent him a copy of The Animator's Survival Guide years ago and forgotten about it (as well as most of the content in it). Having reread most of the way through it now, I would certainly have approached this differently if I had it all to do again... which I actually do, basically, since I'll need an entirely different run cycle for the second chapter of the game. Well, not entirely different since I can probably reuse some of the motions, but yeah.

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2013, 09:07:01 PM »

You'll probably find that the second run cycle will be far faster to make!

what are you animating in?

Selben Coirlo
Level 8

totally awesp,e/

selbencoirlo
View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2013, 10:39:13 PM »

Hahaaaaa, photoshop cs2, which probably isn't helping. Any suggestions for something good to use, preferably freeware? I had imagined this part of the process as being a faster thumbnail-sketchier kind of thing and wasn't prepared for the amount of time it seems to be taking, so anything that could make it a little more painless would be very useful indeed.

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2013, 10:47:39 PM »

I personally use toon boom,

But freeware, yeah its pretty damn sparse for freeware :/.

It's a challenge that i haven't seen any devs take on yet.  Gomez

koiwai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 12:20:52 AM »

Hahaaaaa, photoshop cs2, which probably isn't helping. Any suggestions for something good to use, preferably freeware? I had imagined this part of the process as being a faster thumbnail-sketchier kind of thing and wasn't prepared for the amount of time it seems to be taking, so anything that could make it a little more painless would be very useful indeed.

You can try http://www.synfig.org/, this is open source and looks nice. It is for 2D vector animation, though.

Selben Coirlo
Level 8

totally awesp,e/

selbencoirlo
View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2013, 12:46:19 AM »

Well at this point I just want something that works well for making these silhouette mockups, I'm going to be drawing the actual frames by hand, scanning 'em, and coloring them in photoshop, ideally with a final result similar to the concept piece in the first post. I'll give that software a quick try sometime here and see how it works for that process.

Selben Coirlo
Level 8

totally awesp,e/

selbencoirlo
View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2013, 12:33:24 AM »

Bleh still sticking with photoshop because I know it and it works okay for moderately high res graphics. I cut the resolution, though, because these are just for planning and it was making things run slower than they had to.

So, okay, I've been playing around with transitioning into and out of the run cycle. It's a bit jerky, but here's where it's at right now:

Part of the reason it's so jerky is because I'm trying to have something that I can naturally transition into from a bunch of different nearby frames without looking too weird. I could probably make it look better if I was sure which frame it was coming from, but oh well. The way it is now, it gives a kind of snap to the animation which might actually work out well. I'll probably try to get more animations done and reevaluate this later when I see how it works with them.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2013, 04:57:39 AM »

I think even when she stands still she doesn't have to stand so stiff

Selben Coirlo
Level 8

totally awesp,e/

selbencoirlo
View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2013, 11:54:33 AM »

Well the main idea I had for the idle cycle was that she would be perfectly still and just her clothes/hair would be animated by the wind or whatever. It is a little bit tricky to get into and out of that state without it looking weird, though.

Pedrosanchau
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2013, 11:57:41 PM »

the stop motion is good except for the blue foot that teleport backward
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic