Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411418 Posts in 69362 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 04:27:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsGame Maker Tuts
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24
Print
Author Topic: Game Maker Tuts  (Read 355122 times)
ink.inc
« Reply #440 on: January 02, 2014, 12:14:04 AM »

the with function uses the variables of the specific instance you're referencing; it doesn't know what giveParent is at all

u could solve this by making giveparent a global var if you wanted
ink.inc
« Reply #441 on: January 02, 2014, 09:33:20 AM »

ya that too
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 02, 2014, 09:48:45 AM »

I had no idea about id as a variable, thanks! it works great now.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 03, 2014, 05:41:17 AM »

You could also draw your planes w/ their shadows in the same draw call instead of doubling the amount of objects, this would save you the need to find the the specific plane at all!

draw_sprite_ext(sprite,subimg,x,y,xscale,yscale,rot,color,alpha)

draw_sprite_ext(sPlane,frame,x,y,1,1,direction,c_white,1)
draw_sprite_ext(sPlaneShadow,frame,x,y,1,1,direction,c_white,0.5)

(pretend that you have your plane's frame set to a variable called frame.. and that you name your sprites with a lowercase s in front lol)

But it's all up to you :p
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:46:33 AM by kitheif » Logged
PogueSquadron
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: January 27, 2014, 10:08:38 AM »

Regarding the "standing in front of behind of a rock" tutorial mentioned in the OP....I'm trying to find somewhere that can help me with this, but am getting confused.

If you look at something like Secret of Mana, when you walk to an enemy or object from below, your character will overlap them. Walk to them from the top of the screen, and the enemy will overlap your character.

Is this created through the step event? Do I have to figure out a way to say "If Y is greater than the Y of obj_enemy, depth = (insert depth here)"? And then I suppose I'd have to change my sprite masks so that my character's feet could walk up to an enemy?

Edit: Figured I would just edit. I found a helpful YouTube video that does what I'm trying to do, so props to BrittonTutorials.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:01:13 AM by PogueSquadron » Logged
doimus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 26, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »

Edit: Figured I would just edit. I found a helpful YouTube video that does what I'm trying to do, so props to BrittonTutorials.

Problem with his tile based approach is that all tiles are on the same layer. And in that case you cannot have overlapping tiles - when character needs to go in front of one obstacle and behind another obstacle at the same time (like between two trees).

The depth=-y method is universal and works on objects and individual tiles. You have to isolate the individual tile first and then set its depth to above/below the character.
bacon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 06, 2014, 08:33:33 PM »

If you are using Game Maker: Studio, then yeah, this function is obsolete and no longer works.

Gah! Waaagh! Is there seriously no other way to do it?

If you are using Game Maker: Studio, then yeah, this function is obsolete and no longer works.

I'm having the same problem as Jrap. Does anyone have a alternative to screen_refresh?

Just found this, but YoYo posted a tech blog at the start of the year that somewhat obsoletes the scaling tutorial.

http://yoyogames.com/tech_blog/45

I just recently found this and jumped for joy when I found out how easy it was to implement.
Basically the surface that GameMaker was drawing to previously as a buffer was hidden from dev control, but they have since consolidated the code and made available to devs the application_surface.

To quote the blog:
This surface, like all Studio games to date , starts up as the size of the 1st room - or the bounding box of all views, however we've now added a new surface_resize(id,w,h) command, allowing you to easily resize the application surface outside of the window_set_size() command. This finally breaks the bond between game and window resolution, and means in full-screen mode, it's now easy to change the resolution your game is being rendered at, and you can raise, or lower it however you like, simulating hardware resolutions, but without being forced to suffer TFT monitor blur. Please be aware that resizing the application_surface will only happen at the start of the next frame, and that a resize does not preserve the old contents.

It is incredibly easy to implement. I just set up a button that goes to an "Apply Settings" room, then execute the following code:

Code:
room_set_view(rTitle,0,true,0,0,1920,1080,0,0,1920,1080,0,0,0,0,noone);
room_set_width(rTitle,1920);
room_set_height(rTitle,1080);
surface_resize(application_surface,1920,1080)
room_goto(rTitle);

This was just test code, but you can easily see how you would switch out resolutions and such.

Glad there is finally an easy way to do all this!

CANTATA
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 08, 2014, 02:52:23 AM »

the scaling tutorial has been obsolete since forever. i should probably edit the OP and mark all the outdated tutorials.

EDIT: ok, marked the scaling tut as obsolete and added a warning for new GMS users to the top of the post.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:05:09 AM by C.A. Sinner » Logged
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: November 11, 2014, 10:33:46 PM »

http://zackbellgames.com/2014/11/11/sprite-skewing-for-procedural-animation/

I did this thing about how to make grass react w/o sprite animation(s).

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 13, 2014, 02:18:02 PM »

Thanks for the write-up Zack!  Smiley
Holysh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: January 11, 2015, 07:39:37 AM »

Very interesting and helpful thread! I've just released my first game as an indy and I've learned a lot of things in those columns.

Just wanted to say thank you so much guys! Gomez
HunterTrammell
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 09, 2015, 09:29:07 PM »

I have a serious question, that might make me seem like a thick-headed moron.  Epileptic

I'm no programmer, the only thing that I came close to learning was making games in CMD with a buddy of mine.
However I have also been learning some GML on the side, ever since I got GM8.1 Pro. It's a wonderful engine.
I'm not a wonderful person, I'm not even bright and honestly I don't think someone like me is welcome here.

Now my question (probably) has nothing to do with programming, as it involves my sprites and backgrounds.

I've made a few prototypes over the years (nothing I think is worth sharing right now) and I keep deleting
my saved Game Maker files and starting over on things, and this collides together with a strange fear I have...

I make pixel art in MsPaint and I save my images everywhere on my C: drive.
I stick spritesheets in my pictures folder, I crop them down to each sprite and toss them in my Dropbox or downloads
folder, and I always 'Load Sprite' when I want to put it in my game/prototype.
But there's this weird and somewhat irrational fear I have on my mind.

Does it matter where (after I'm done drawing in MsPaint and want to save my art) I put that picture file?
Where does GM save it after I put it in the art's file, the project's file itself? Along with everything else in the project's file?
I've tried making designated folders for me to put my art in, but I also put my audio and even the project's file
in there in one big folder. But I always get this strange feeling, and freakout. And eventually I scrap everything.

I don't know why I do this. Maybe it's more of a psychological thing. I'm not OCD.
I don't know all that much about Game Maker, and I still want to use it for a few game projects.

Maybe someone on here can explain it to me, and prove to me that I am overreacting.

While I'm asking, does it matter where I save my project's file? I think that when you're done it all gets shoved into an .exe
and they say you should probably put that and a README in a zipped folder. I do recall reading that somewhere.
But this is a weird feeling I keep getting.

Where do you put your sprite pictures? (If you don't use Game Maker's sprite editor ?)
Same with audio and other things, I put some of my sound effects in my pictures folder sometimes with my art.
Other times I keep it in my music folder. Folders, folders, folders...

I'm sorry. I've been nervous about showing my face on here again, and a lot is going on right now.
I just want to relax and work on a small game, if I can.  Shrug
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 10, 2015, 04:27:12 PM »

Game Maker saves all your sprites, backgrounds and resources in general in the same project folder that you created at the start of your game. Even after you import them from outside. Also, don't be afraid, this is a game making community, and as long as you love games you'll be welcome here! :D

In other words, chill. Beer!

HunterTrammell
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 10, 2015, 05:20:34 PM »

In other words, chill. Beer!

Yes, sir!  Tongue Toast Right
Daruman
Level 0

私は犬が大好きだよなぁぁ~

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 24, 2015, 01:11:59 AM »

I'm trying to find a tutorial on using the physics hit box for collision events instead of sprites.

EDIT:

solved.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 01:22:38 AM by Kilig » Logged

Kilig: noun. It is the sudden feeling of an inexplicable joy one gets when something romantic or idealistic occurs. I don\'t think there\'s an English word or phrase for it. even Butterfly Stomach doesn\'t do justice to \"kilig\".
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: April 08, 2016, 01:42:49 PM »

Is there anyone interested in a tutorial on pixel perfect upscale in Game Maker? I have tow version of it, one rendering an upscaled version of the view to a monitor size picture, and another one rendering an actual low res image, upscaled properly.

Apparently there is nothing up to date here, and I remember how it pissed me to fail at upscaling properly my pixel art when I started. Angry

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 10, 2016, 01:40:32 PM »

Oh skaz, I would have loved one a few years back Wink
Hopefully anyone needing one can find this thread and ask!
danielgregory
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 12, 2016, 07:10:18 AM »

Thanks. This is very helpful!

Dave
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: June 03, 2016, 06:43:33 AM »

I just started putting together some tutorials for GameMaker.

This is my first one doing top down lighting.
http://www.davetech.co.uk/lighttechdemo2

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 03, 2016, 01:06:22 PM »

Thanks for the write-up Dave! Really understandable Hand Thumbs Up Left
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic