Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1066863 Posts in 43550 Topics- by 35594 Members - Latest Member: read_forerunner

November 26, 2014, 01:22:55 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeHelp me decide what game to develop...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help me decide what game to develop...  (Read 1061 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »

Ok, so I have a few games in mind to make.
I have this simple small racing game for the mobile with a unique touch mechanics(I think), it just asks to be made. But I am not sure I am that excited about it.
The good thing about it is that it won't take me too long to develop and it doesn't require tons of artwork.
The bad thing is that I am not sure I will enjoy it that much, because it's not that exciting to develop.

Another idea was to make a game for windows maybe mac and linux, basically a desktop game. I kind of miss to develop for the big boxes with the almost unlimited power(compared to mobile).
The idea is kind of a battle field\age of chivalry mix. I have an idea for unique mechanics, but that is how I can best describe it with something most people are familiar with.
(Suddenly it gave me an idea of a steam punk combining tanks with knights with swords that can cut through tanks, but that was not my initial idea).
The good thing is that it would probably be very exciting, the bad thing is that this game depend on good artwork and a big chance of not finishing it since it's a bigger project.

I also had an idea to port my old game, Labyrinthica to the mobile, it seemed exciting when I was thinking about it in the beach but not that much anymore. I didn't want to port it as is, since the old game had a lot of issues, but I would have all the feedback and lessoned learned to make this game better.
The positive is that I can reuse a lot or some of the artwork. It would take longer to develop than the car game, but I am also not that especially excited about it.

I think if it wern't for the artwork I would make the desktop game.
Maybe I also need to do a smart choice first, since my excitement about games seem to constantly shift.

What do you suggest?

Master of all trades.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 12:03:32 PM »

Ok, with the help of TIGIRC I have decided.

A 3D desktop battlefiled\chivelry kind of game with 3D stick figures.

Master of all trades.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 12:44:03 PM »

(I think it can be moved to a devlog)
Possible Game names:

Scent of Death -
Well, in war there are dead bodies so it smells. Not very subtle.
Maybe a more subtle version of this name would be "The Scent".

Flowers of War -
The flowers represent the soliders. As they are human and fragile as a flower.
I like this the most but it's very similar to "war of the flowers".

Mother's thirst -
Kind of creepy, but mother is the nation and land, and the land is being watered with the blood of the soliders.

Grounds of Pride.
Pride brought them to the the battlefield and etc.

Meh, anyway, names arn't that important right now. But it's fun to think about it anyway.

Master of all trades.
J-Snake
Level 10

a fool with a tool is still a fool

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 12:31:22 PM »

Better make a new Crysis Wars.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.

Super Metroid Tournament: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38039.0

TrapThem: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=222597670
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 09:59:44 PM »

PompiPompi? I've been following you for a while and checking out your other projects, what ever happened to your FPS-ish game with the ogres and impressive looking bump mapping in OpenGL? Is that still being worked on?

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 07:24:01 AM »

Do you normally finish? You can just pick a mechanic and develop it, then add as you go. Deciding everything up front isn't necessary.

pinaster
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 03:44:23 PM »

(I think it can be moved to a devlog)
Possible Game names:

Scent of Death -
Well, in war there are dead bodies so it smells. Not very subtle.
Maybe a more subtle version of this name would be "The Scent".

Flowers of War -
The flowers represent the soliders. As they are human and fragile as a flower.
I like this the most but it's very similar to "war of the flowers".

Mother's thirst -
Kind of creepy, but mother is the nation and land, and the land is being watered with the blood of the soliders.

Grounds of Pride.
Pride brought them to the the battlefield and etc.

Meh, anyway, names arn't that important right now. But it's fun to think about it anyway.

I was going to make a list of pros and cons for your project but you have already made your choice  Gentleman

I would have suggested to start developing the racing game because you said it was a short project, it was a new kind of project for you so learning was involved, and it could have been a profitable project. At the same time you could have worked on the concept of the chivalry games because that one seems more ambitious and cancelling the project could have cost you more.

I'm not excited about these names, flowers is a brave choice but I don't like the "of war", just to be more braver I suggest Ephemeral Flowers which should make sense in english.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic