Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 07:44:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlight of the Data-Thief - Star Fox Style Rail-Shooter
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Flight of the Data-Thief - Star Fox Style Rail-Shooter  (Read 19574 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2013, 09:48:02 AM »

In the caaaaaaave get me out of this caaaaaaaave

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2013, 08:38:33 AM »

Well, the main thing was I wanted a 4x4 grid of 16 levels which the player would choose a path through (some levels would be hidden).  Along with the other levels would come more enemy designs as well.  I've currently got 7 levels, meaning I'm two off from a 3x3 grid.  

I also wanted to have some comm chatter giving you instructions and stuff and giving the game a bit of narrative context.

Then there's just general interface design stuff and polish.

So basically either I make 2 more levels, one or two more enemies, give the game a proper beginning and ending and a reasonable amount of polish, or I make 9 more levels, give it a proper beginning, ending and comm chatter throughout, and give it a higher level of polish overall.
Small Polish.
Add 2 levels
Beginning and ending.
Comms if you really wan to.

Seems a nice compromise. Smiley

Yeah.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2013, 10:27:18 AM »

Yeah, that's basically the plan.  Also I'm still going to try to make a mobile version of the game, since the iOS and Android toolsets for Unity are now free.

Finished the cave level (and in time to add it to the Indiecade Build.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2013, 10:28:01 AM »

Alright, I'll be releasing an in-browser version of the game in a couple days.

Shortly after that, I'll release a pay-what-you-want standalone version.  I'll also work on porting the game to mobile devices.

devi ever
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2013, 11:49:19 AM »

Alright, I'll be releasing an in-browser version of the game in a couple days.

Shortly after that, I'll release a pay-what-you-want standalone version.  I'll also work on porting the game to mobile devices.

Looking forward to it.  Just found out about this project and definitely interested where you ended up with it.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2013, 11:14:38 AM »

And here it is:  http://renegadesector.com/flight-of-the-data-thief/

devi ever
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2013, 03:49:42 PM »

Seems like a good start to a game but still feels very much like an early alpha.

The thing I enjoyed about games like Star Fox was the fact I was constantly being engaged by enemies and obstacles on the screen, but with this there are long moments of doing nothing but just watching my ship move forward.

Also, in terms of interaction, it feels extremely limiting to only be able to move the ship but not control its speed, or roll.

Lastly, every shmup (whether 3D or side scrolling) I've ever fallen in love with has some kind of, at least minimal, power up system.  Without a power-up system, I have zero interest playing through a shmup unless it somehow wows me with aesthetics or a story.

Oh, and as far as the graphics go, I understand going for the old-skool low polygon count vibe, but even those broke things up with color variation which I feel this game could seriously benefit from.  It doesn't have to be textures, just some colors to really differentiate the player ship from the enemies from the landscape, etc. etc.

... and just my own personal aesthetic preference... I feel the music is extremely lacking and only adds to the monotony of the game play as it currently stands.  I apologize if those were some of your tunez, but I feel like the game could benefit tremendously from something more consistent and engaging...

Check out http://freemusicarchive.org/ as they have thousands of really great tracks if you need some place to pull from.

I think what you have going here is truly brilliant if you could push it further, and I understand you're already feeling burnt out on it, but I'd absolutely love to see you pull back on making more levels and concentrate on polishing up the game.  You obviously have a great engine setup and a really nice aesthetic beginning... now hit it out of the park with some good polish!

Panda Hand Point Right
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2013, 06:46:04 PM »

maybe it's the time to gather a team?

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2013, 08:13:19 PM »

I've been doing more collaborations recently.  Maybe there's another rail shooter of some sort in the future (although I'd go about it quite differently than this.  The emphasis on speed and both obsacle avoidance and enemy combat made for some difficulties in design.)  I might do some sort of hybrid of a Rail Shooter and a Run 'n' Gun once I've got a few of my current projects out of the way

However, I still don't want to sink much more time into this project, especially when I've got other projects I'm much more interested in pursuing.  So, the game's basically done aside from small tweaks and bug fixes which I've been making based on the feedback I've been receiving (the lulls in combat are one of the bigger problems I'm trying to solve).

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2013, 10:45:37 PM »

Did a fairly large update to the game which included arranging the levels, which I think should help alleviate difficulty curve problems a bit, as well as make the alternate paths make a bit more sense (the cave can now only be reached by taking an alternate path, the canyon now contains an alternate path to the cave).

Also, the game got freatured on Indiegames.com:  http://indiegames.com/2013/06/high-speed_star_fox_on_rails_a.html

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2013, 02:10:44 PM »

Currently working on stuff for the standalone version, including gamepad support and saving/loading.  Fortunately Unity makes this stuff all pretty easy.

EaglEye
Level 0

Belgian Gamer and Youtuber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2013, 08:31:05 AM »

I run a series named 'Indie Spotted' on my youtube channel where I always look at new or still in development indie games. Today I've taken a look at Flgiht of the Data-Thief. Enjoy!

Indie youtuber looking at new and upcoming Indie games. Being informative and entertaining at the same time
MY YOUTUBE - MY WEBSITE
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2013, 09:06:46 AM »

Nice video! Glad you enjoyed.   Beer!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2013, 02:42:01 PM »

The Pay-What-You-Want standalone version has now been released.  It comes with gamepad support, saving/loading and full screen mode, as well as the soundtrack.

Get it here:  http://renegadesector.com/flight-of-the-data-thief/

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic