Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:47:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIndie Game: The Musical (or The Opera)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Game: The Musical (or The Opera)  (Read 1455 times)
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2013, 12:22:54 AM »

Yeah? YEAH?

play hydlide 2
CVaseTYb!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 12:24:03 AM »

no
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 01:26:48 AM »

YEAH

Start a kickstarter.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 01:40:28 AM »

I would prefer to see it as an interpretive dance routine. I've got like twenty leotards if anyone else is interested.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 05:56:30 AM »

I wonder if there is a correlation between the amount of sales for your game and how much you love indieness.

Master of all trades.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 07:46:40 AM »

Lips Sealed

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 08:46:44 AM »

But Edmund McMillen speaking of the woes of microsoft

play hydlide 2
coppolaemilio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 09:08:56 AM »

My Word! Mind blow

Sleeping at Evelend
poe
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 09:13:57 AM »

Yes
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 10:02:55 AM »

i'd still like to see something like a serious/educational indie game documentary (indie game: the movie wasn't really trying to be a documentary, more like an expose or inspirational piece), but the interest for such a thing is probably limited to current and aspiring indie game developers so it'd have too small of an audience to justify the cost

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 07:53:46 PM »

i'd still like to see something like a serious/educational indie game documentary (indie game: the movie wasn't really trying to be a documentary, more like an expose or inspirational piece), but the interest for such a thing is probably limited to current and aspiring indie game developers so it'd have too small of an audience to justify the cost

What would be educational about it? Interviews with the devs, asking different techniques they use?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
feminazi
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 09:22:48 PM »

lets mak paul eres da movie
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 09:48:02 PM »

The price of having enough tea to last the whole production would be astronomic.  Waaagh!

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 11:01:21 PM »

What would be educational about it? Interviews with the devs, asking different techniques they use?

no, i mean things like knowledge of the history of indie games -- who's who in indie games, the genres that indie games created or influenced, how indie games got started, stuff about the igf, the various engines that are used, and so on. indie games are a big part of the history of videogames in general, and it's weird that there's very little in the way of videos about that history. i think a lot of indie game developers take for granted just how much knowledge they have that the average gamer doesn't. all the layman knows about indie games is minecraft and maybe john blow and a few things picked up from indie game the movie, they have no idea of the rich history of it

VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 08:28:18 AM »

I agree.  An informative documentary like that would be not only interesting (especially to new developers), but such works would also serve to educate the general public about the importance of indie games.

For instance: Even among "hard-core" gamers many don't see the appeal of indie games, and they may still only play AAA games after seeing such a documentary; However, next time they enjoy a "new" game mechanic in their mainstream game they may wonder what game first explored the mechanic -- Chances are it was an indie game.

After many years of him mocking less polished indie games my cousin was finally cured of his philistine ways.  He now appreciates games other than just flashy & expensive AAA games after I explained to him that mechanics in the Portal game(s) he loved was the result of experimental indie game devs, and that this sort of thing happens all the time.  That small crack opened him up to the idea that less massive games are worth a look into, thus he's now frequently telling his friends about some new indie game they've got to try.  He has a much more varied appetite of games now and a greater appreciation of the art of game making -- They're not just gimmicky toys or "just interactive 3D murder movies" to him anymore (his words not mine), and he now sees the point of protecting game developers' right to express themselves in games.  So do many of his friends now too.

It's hard for some folks to extract much value from Indie Game The Movie if they don't already care about the games the movie revolved around...

A wider ranging documentary that covered the points you've mentioned would be a great source of information to point folks to.  I think it'd be a great benefit to indie game developers and game players alike.  Hand Thumbs Up Right
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:35:36 AM by VortexCortex » Logged

sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 08:53:05 AM »

no, i mean things like knowledge of the history of indie games -- who's who in indie games, the genres that indie games created or influenced, how indie games got started, stuff about the igf, the various engines that are used, and so on. indie games are a big part of the history of videogames in general, and it's weird that there's very little in the way of videos about that history. i think a lot of indie game developers take for granted just how much knowledge they have that the average gamer doesn't. all the layman knows about indie games is minecraft and maybe john blow and a few things picked up from indie game the movie, they have no idea of the rich history of it

I feel that might be really boring. I've seen a LOT of documentaries, and in general the most boring / forgettable ones are usually the ones that just spit information at you and with too broad of a subject. Indie Games, in general, is too broad of a subject. It needs to be broken down and made more personal and relatable. Indie Games: The Movie might not have hit that completely, but it was on the right path I feel.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 09:11:48 AM »

yep -- as i see it it'd be a way to introduce people new to indie games to the knowledge base that the experienced indie game developers share. not that many average gamers know that the central mechanic in portal comes from a student game for instance, or that steve pavlina (famous self-help guru) used to make indie games and run the biggest indie game forums of the time, or even what the zzt is and how a lot of today's prominent indies came out of the zzt community

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic