Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:18:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeGamedeving with no stress. 8)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Gamedeving with no stress. 8)  (Read 3641 times)
joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 01:47:26 PM »

I guess the question is, how badly you want to make a sustainable living for yourself as an indie game dev.  To me it's looks pretty similar to any other kind of start-up business.  You've got to be willing to work for pretty much no pay for an uncertain period before you get a return on investment. 

I guess if you value ambition, autonomy, not playing by the rules more than security and consistency then going full-time would be your thing.  If it's the opposite that makes you happy then stick to that, and I guess that's the key factor: what is making you happy.

For me personally, I'm probably in a similar position to Gregg above when he started out.  I've got a ton of financial obligations, family, etc and walked away from a very high paying position in IT, and have eventually ended up doing indie game dev which has been my dream since I've been 4.  On the financial side, I earn about as much as when I was a grad about a decade ago, but on the other hand I finally feel like I have some job satisfaction Smiley

So yeah, look at what makes you truly happy. 

richardjdare
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 09:23:18 AM »

I'm pretty stressed out at the moment! I think its because I am desperate to get out of my current work situation, and into something game related. I feel so stifled and frustrated with what I have to do every day.

What stresses me out the most are those situations where I have to do something artistic or mathematical thats way outside my comfort zone. Frequently my first attempts are total failures and it feels like hitting a brick wall. However, having hit the wall many times now, I am starting to negotiate it better. That blank edifice of not-knowing is something that can be outmanoeuvred or dissolved. You can learn a lot from these situations, although they don't feel very good at the time.

I'm currently working on an iOS game, but my next game will likely be on PC and Mac. I don't really feel restricted by the mobile platform or anything, its been an enjoyable experience. I just feel more suited to the desktop market with its dedicated and knowledgeable players, and with the historical continuity of the PC scene with the earlier Amiga and 8bit scenes that I grew up with. The mobile market seems to be cut off from all that. But of course, if my iOS game does well, I might rethink my position.

Just released Antigen (http://antigengame.com) for iPhone and iPod Touch
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic