Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:22:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStarshock, a retro-esque arcade shooter
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Starshock, a retro-esque arcade shooter  (Read 63443 times)
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2013, 10:29:03 AM »

I just want all of you guys to trust me on this, I've been noting every single issue you've had with the game and I'll resolve all the ones I can. As all of you were so keen on having bigger levels I'm making them 40x40

Yay!

@DustyDrake
You have no idea how the game works, so try not to force things to happen. I've already explained that the game only accepts 20x20 levels

Is there a reason the level sizes are hardcoded? It seems like you should be able to take whatever hardcoded LEVEL_SIZE = 20 you have and turn it into LEVEL_SIZE = levelfile.width
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2013, 10:53:24 AM »

I had it real-deal hardcoded, as in loops using 20 rather than a constant. With this version I changed them to use a WIDTH/HEIGHT variable. I don't think that it will be changed even when we want to have smaller levels as tiles with no neighbors aren't rendered anyway
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2013, 12:36:22 AM »

I find most of the criticism that i read here is valid. But I liked the game anyway for three reasons. Great visual style, I love mazes and puzzles (moar please), the spirit of exploration!
It would be nice if it were present on levels some story locations or story objects - this would allow the players to immerse themselves in the gameplay completely.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 22, 2013, 06:26:25 AM »

@08--n7.r6-79.84
Thanks a lot, we are quickly fixing all the worries people had!

The demo doesn't show most of the story part but we have tons of terminal content. Story itself contains characters and even when we play through the current version we have there are really powerful moments you hear from the characters. There are also tons of secret rooms you can activate through various methods which can contain goodies and secret story additions

One thing we tried with our event mechanisms are levels that can morph. For example you go to a part of the level, and when you are out of that part it just changes into a different setting revealing different things in the same place!
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2013, 02:25:14 AM »

All the pixels I see here I'm lovin, it's got that real nostalgic feel to it. Reminds me of a game called FEAR on the Amiga years ago. Grin

How will you be releasing the final game? (Green light, Desura, straight from yourself etc)

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2013, 05:05:51 AM »

I'm aiming for Desura. I'm not even considering Greenlight simply because it's simply shit and I don't have 100 dollars
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2013, 05:31:51 AM »

And if you get 100 through desura?...

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2013, 05:34:36 AM »

I'm still not too fond of Greenlight
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2013, 05:47:31 AM »

Cause of the whole, only games that are already popular get in thing? Or do you dislike Steam in general?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2013, 05:53:42 AM »

I love Steam as a platform but I hate how Greenlight works.

There are two major issues with it, first one is as you said no matter how bad or incomplete a game might be (Yogiventures) it can still get in because of their related personalities (companies, celebrities). Second one is that Steam contains a lot of people that are obsessed with specific genres, if someone sees an RPG on Greenlight and likes FPSes he/she will highly likely vote no. On top of that I've seen a lot of people vote no just because the game "looks like Minecraft" (which is just an example) on Delver's Greenlight page

I'm not really sure why Valve switched to this underdeveloped Steam Workshop spin-off rather than keeping the old system
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2013, 05:55:08 AM »

It's all part of Newell's master plan to have Steam stop being a unified store front. I'm a little worried about where this is going...

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2013, 05:59:22 AM »

But you know, games must cater to everyone's needs nowadays! Well, hello there!

I don't really want to continue this because if we do I'll link this topic to other issues slowly destroying the industry

Thanks for your interests everyone, good news is that I'm planning on getting a demo #2 when we get sounds ready!
Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2013, 02:55:16 AM »

I love Steam as a platform but I hate how Greenlight works.

There are two major issues with it, first one is as you said no matter how bad or incomplete a game might be (Yogiventures) it can still get in because of their related personalities (companies, celebrities). Second one is that Steam contains a lot of people that are obsessed with specific genres, if someone sees an RPG on Greenlight and likes FPSes he/she will highly likely vote no. On top of that I've seen a lot of people vote no just because the game "looks like Minecraft" (which is just an example) on Delver's Greenlight page

I'm not really sure why Valve switched to this underdeveloped Steam Workshop spin-off rather than keeping the old system
They still have the old system in place. Just contact them with your game once it's on desura, try to make some arrangement etc.
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2013, 05:04:23 AM »

Unfortunately bypassing Greenlight is still harder for indies than companies
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 10, 2013, 08:17:28 AM »

See you at booths 6401 & 6500!
mushbuh
Level 9