Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:22:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhere to get web hosting?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Where to get web hosting?  (Read 1825 times)
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« on: February 11, 2013, 12:36:52 PM »

What's the best place to go for low-bandwidth and low-storage web hosting? I'm pretty much just looking for something on-the-cheap to host a small website.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 12:41:46 PM »

What kind of website?
I have a blog at word press. Which means word press host my blog\site(not including domain).
I think I am paying like 100$ per year for this.
I am not sure how much bandwidth I get for this, but I am assuming it would be way better and dynmaic than some company's desktop in a basement hosting your site.

In addition, I don't need to worry about updating my wordpress software\hacks\virus and etc.

So, the short answer is as always "it depends".

Master of all trades.
Mister Dave
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 02:33:18 PM »

GoDaddy and 1and1 have some pretty low prices for basic sites.
Reactorcore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 02:59:42 PM »

I went for Hover.com for domain name hosting. You get free WhoIS protection with them.
Use the code "LondonReal" to get a 15% discount.

and

HostNine.com for webhosting. Really cheap (3,95/month), unlimited everything and good service, I can recommend them. Just be sure to read their terms to make sure your site is ok with them. They're quite strict when it comes to certain websites.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 04:06:37 PM »

After some investigation I think I've settled on 000webhost for a bit of hosting. It's free, and if I end up with an actual budget it's pretty cheap to upgrade to some more robust service. And from namecheap I'll buy a domain.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 09:38:26 PM »

WAIT. WAIT. When I was reading up on hosts, I looked a lot of places. All of them said 000webhost is a scam. Maybe they're outdated, but google "Is 000webhost a scam", and a lot of angry people come up.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
wg/funstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 01:57:40 AM »

In case you reconsider, I'm super happy with asmallorange. I started off on their smallest plan at $35 per year (domain not included), and then moved up to their $5/month which I'm still on. http://asmallorange.com/hosting/shared/

What I like about them is excellent support from technical people who actually know what they're doing instead of just following a script. And apart from that everything just seems really well set up.. never had any issues in 2 years.

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 07:40:16 PM »

What are you going for?

For something light/informational page, Wordpress is awesome. It's not just a blog; it's very customizable. Massive bonus that Wordpress comes with support for mobile browsers and is free by default.

If you want to use PHP/ASP custom pages, you'd need something stronger.
shay.yizhak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 12:46:10 AM »

You could also try WIX. They give a great site building tools, and a free domain, if you don't mind a long URL. You can upgrade to a better hosting option anytime you want.

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »

You could also try WIX. They give a great site building tools, and a free domain, if you don't mind a long URL. You can upgrade to a better hosting option anytime you want.

I've heard of Wix as of lately. Never used it, though, in part due to my official website already running Weebly Pro.

Free Weebly is alright when it comes to hosting. You get a surprisingly good deal when it comes to registering your own domain.

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 04:19:25 PM »

If you don't have a domain or something and are just looking for a quick, dirty and cheap solution, Dropbox may be a viable solution. Just keep in mind that you can't do any server-side scripting there. Entirely HTML/CSS with JS to spruce things up.

Then, when you are satisfied and the traffic picks up, shell out a few dollars/euros/martians for a quality hosting solution.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 10:41:25 PM »

I use JustHost, they have always beeen good to me (and they were the cheapest host i could find on the internet)

I have heard some people have been burned by them, but to me they seem fine

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 05:20:45 PM »

Lithium Hosting. Always heard good reviews of them along with Namecheap.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:37:44 AM by Player Ʒ » Logged
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 11:06:54 PM »

GoDaddy and 1and1 have some pretty low prices for basic sites.

Don't use either of these hosts. I used 1and1. So terrible. I was so pissed at their service I did the extra effort to transfer my registrar.

Site5 is amazing. They even fixed my fuckups (some wordpress sql transfer issues) for free and were extremely nice about it.

Jacob_
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 09:49:54 AM »

I used EastSolid for many years and I highly recommend them. From 2008 to 2012 there were only 2 service interruptions, one was just a day-long slowdown and the other was planned maintenance. Support was also quick at responding to the 2 problems I had (one was my fault, one was theirs.)

Their plans are more expensive than they were when I signed up, but I still think they're a good value.
jMedina
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »

Justhost its really good. I'm with them right now and zero problems!

I paid like 45 dollars for a whole year, with domain included.
Vyce
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 04:20:39 AM »

I'd recommend using Cloudfare they have been pretty solid over the years and we've never really faced any issues [ up until this week where it had gone down for half an hour] but apart from that hiccup it has been great overall and the pricing is pretty good.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic