Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1059311 Posts in 43067 Topics- by 35022 Members - Latest Member: adrianodelvigna

October 31, 2014, 09:05:55 AM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeDesignGame involving Tanks (Concept )
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game involving Tanks (Concept )  (Read 824 times)
cubertron
Level 0

View Profile Email
« on: February 12, 2013, 07:58:11 AM »

I am thinking of making a game involving tanks. This is what I came up with(concept image)

So these are the ideas I have in mind:
- Make a simple side scrolling tank shooting game
- Side scrolling with a story line ( Lone tank lost in the middle of nowhere?)

that's what I have for now. More ideas will be appreciated  Gentleman
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 11:05:03 PM »

for devlogs?

I like tanks. like the "cool" atmosphere.

sort of come up with a mechanic for moving and shooting, even just a rough one. way easier to build ideas off of something like that.
thunderhead.hierophant
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:52:37 AM »

an update of blaster master (for the NES) would be way cool.  I'd love to help out with level design in a game like that.
Code_Assassin
Level 5

ok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 11:14:03 AM »

I like the concept of a lone tank being in the middle of no-where. Personally I like all games that have a sense of isolation, like in Limbo. I think they did a pretty good job with getting you to feel alone in that game.

I think if you had some interesting game mechanics like a foreground and background it would make it pretty enjoyable to play this game. Think Limbo like physics?

thunderhead.hierophant
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 06:24:17 PM »

that's what I have for now. More ideas will be appreciated  Gentleman

GEARBEASTS
----------

2 tanks.  1 screen.  1 winner.  A tank-duel game.

Controls:

W- Jump; Jump Jets (in air)
A- move left
S- Activate shield
D- move right

Mouse:  move aiming reticle (weapon trajectories follow line drawn between reticle and tank.  tank can be moving one way and firing another.  tank cannot fire below horizontal, except bombs)

left click- fire weapon/use ability
right click- cycle weapon selection

----------

HP bar & energy bar

Shield:  Absorbs %HP damage (unaffected by armor upgrade) as 2x %Energy until exhausted.  Contact damages other shield or tank at 5% HP/ 250 ms.

Jump Jets:  Strength will have to be played with.  Anyway, column formed by Jump Jets extends 1.5 tank lengths from under tank, with a width of .5 Tank lengths.  the column extends to full length @ 3x move speed.  Burns 10% energy @ keypress and every 250 ms held.

--------

Weapons and Abilities are upgradeable.  The players start with 10 UG (upgrade) points.  The first upgrade cost 1 UGP, the second costs 2.  Player can bring 1-4 weapons/abilities (not counting armor) into battle.

Flamethrower:  20% energy @ keypress and every 1 second held.  xtends @ 1.5 move speed.  Deals 5% HP damage/initial contact and every 250 ms of sustained contact.  Button can be held down and flame follows aiming reticle.  Extends 1.5 tank lengths/2 TL @ UG1/2.5 TL @ UG2.

Shotgun:  750 ms cooldown.  pellets travel at 4x move speed for 2 TL.  @ 2 TL, pellets have formed 20 degree arc.  Every pellet that hits enemy tank deals 5% hp damage.  In the fashion of 10 as a triangular number, non-upgraded shotgun shoots the base 4 pellets/UG1: next layer of 3/UG2:  final three.

Mortar:  1 second cooldown.  follows parabolic trajectory, aimed at reticle.  if reticle is less than 2.5 TL from tank, mortar charge is light: shell travels 1/3 screen length @ 45 degree trajectory.  if greater than 2.5 TL, charge is heavy:  shell travels 2/3 screen @ 45 degree trajectory.  deals 30% HP AOE/UG1: 40%/UG2: 50%

Cannon: deals 10% hp/hit.  Travels off screen in straight line @ 3x move speed.  Cool down is 750 ms/UG1: 500 ms/UG2: 250 ms.

Bombs: 500 ms cooldown.  drop from bottom of tank @ .75 move speed.  20%/UG1: 25%/UG2 30% hp damage if in AOE.

Healing: heal 10% HP after 1 second of buttonpress/ UG1: 15%/ UG2: 20%.  20% energy @ keypress and for each succeeding second.

Blinkdrive.  Tank teleports to location of aiming reticle on click, after 500 ms of off-screen time.  60% energy/blink.  can travel 1.5 TL/UG1: 2 TL/UG2: 2.5 TL.

Armor: 0/UG1: 10%/UG2: 20% damage reduction, (if shield is down).

--------

energy restores 5%/second.

damage taken to top of tank deals 1.5 damage.  If one tank is on top of another tank, it slides off slowly (if shield is up, it damages tank or shield).

Pressing A or D while in the air with shield activated executes an air dash.  10% energy is spent, tank moves 1 TL @ 4x move speed.

Tanks can jump 2.5 tank lengths directly vertical.
cubertron
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 07:29:08 PM »

I like the concept of a lone tank being in the middle of no-where. Personally I like all games that have a sense of isolation, like in Limbo. I think they did a pretty good job with getting you to feel alone in that game.

I think if you had some interesting game mechanics like a foreground and background it would make it pretty enjoyable to play this game. Think Limbo like physics?

I actually made the artwork keeping the limbo theme in mind. I'll try making more samples this weekend and see if a story can be made out of it. Will post here

thunderhead.hierophant
that probably will be awesome if its a multiplayer game. I have been struggling in finding a proper way to make a multiplayer game. Probably the networking part is restricting me. Have you ever tried making a multiplayer game?
thunderhead.hierophant
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 09:54:52 AM »

Alas, at this point in my life I'm not much of a programmer.  I think Gamemaker has multiplayer support, though, if you wanted to go that route.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic