Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:22:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Scorpion Box - RELEASED!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The Scorpion Box - RELEASED!  (Read 10847 times)
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 02:05:11 PM »

Good progress :D

Waiting for this one :D
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 01:55:01 PM »

Thanks Smiley

At the moment most of the engine is done, at least stuff which is required to interact with things and are actually used in this game. I'll probably add later locked doors etc. but since they aren't required for this game I haven't added them yet. Then there is still few features which are best to add on fly.

I'm negotiating with graphic assistant who promised to draw the lineart for the game. Before proceeding into full content creation mode, I have to wait for some graphics. But there is already some content I can and will do and it is death screens!

Here is a crude "comic" illustration of the concept:

So basically in addition to solutions, player can try to find every different death scene, which are different for the different deaths. You can read more about them and suggest your own in this topic.

Tomorrow I'm going to lay down the basics for the this at the code level and implement one for testing.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 12:23:48 PM »

I already wrote this on the design topic but lets repost it here too:

Btw, at the moment I'm weighting my options with the game. I might either

a) Go like original plan was; just include these completely random explanations and make game purely tongue in cheek
b) On surface like a), mut underneath there is an actual "hidden" story (told in item descriptions and death scenes etc.) about why Luc put the scorpion in to the box (eg. why he hates the protagonist). Perhaps player character is a dick?
c) Like a), but somehow imply that the scenario, scorpion etc. are metaphor of whatever (for example over-working etc). I'm not sure if I'm clever enough to pull it without it coming off just pretentious though
d) All above mixed into happy little mess!

Basically I'm intrigued to make this rather weird game which player can play for fun, but that she can also notice some "deeper undertones" or story (lol what an expression, but you get the point). And yeah, Dark Souls' story-telling inspired me a bit.

This has been bothering me today. So far I haven't reached decision, though I think that I'm interested in the option b. The underlying story could also be something a bit more far fetched, like scientifical experiment (cliche...) or just detailed story of what led to this situation and what happens afterwards.  Obviously option a is the easiest one and I might just go with it. Option c is a tricky one which I'm not sure yet.

In case someone might read this
So what do you think? Do you think that b, c or d option would make the game better/more interesting?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:36:07 PM by Tumetsu » Logged

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 01:45:07 PM »

Didn't have much time for the project in last few days. I'm still going through the story stuff. Today I did some "research" about my possible options, and story telling methods. At the moment I'm leaning towards option b where backstory would be most likely open ended, absurd or even kafkaesque.

I also wrote up list of questions the back story should probably explain (or hint at) such as Luc's motive to put scorpion into protagonist's turtle box. With this list I should be able to begin crafting the basic elements of the backstory.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 10:55:30 PM »

This is... quite strange.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 02:23:36 PM »

This is... quite strange.
Perhaps  Corny Laugh

Today I finished a small but important feature: the base structure for death scenes. Also programmed in the first death scene (with placeholder graphics) which acts as a example of the system.

Behold your death:

It's a bit rough since the scorpion is my doodle placeholder and all "animation" is just some tweens. I'll probably tweak it later when I get proper sprite.

Next on my todo-list is to decide different death scenes and assign them to the "manuscript".

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 01:32:59 PM »

Just dropped to note that the project is still in development though I haven't been able to work on it lately. I'm working on another (non personal) project and its deadline is approaching swiftly so I have to prioritize things a bit.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2013, 11:02:53 AM »

This month has been really busy so I haven't really had time to make much progress with the game. However, I intend to resume working on it now more regularly, ideally a bit every day. It's worth to note thought that I managed to get full day summer job for which involves 8 hours of programming which might drain some of y enthusiasm to game programming :S

Today I colored one new background and started another one. I think I have to soon review my plans and check where I left month ago so that I can continue development asap.

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 05:52:24 PM »

I love how you've not only taken such an absurd concept and started making a game about it, but you're also wrapping it up in its own story.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 01:16:58 PM »

Yeah, after I decided that I'd like to develop something on this concept I figured out that I might as well go a bit further and try to add some kind of story/context into it.

However, atm it looks like the backstory will be something rather simple and told indirectly. For example an observant player could notice different strange stuff laying around protagonist's house which might give a clue to what kind of person he is (and why Luc might hate him). Ideally almost every item could have this kind of meaning. Death scenes will probably just be some kind of jokes unless I find some clever ways to use them to tell something to the player.

Today I worked on one new background/scene. Basically started cleaning/coloring it. In Monday my line-art artist and I will probably have a small Skype conference to talk about schedules and what is needed to be done. I probably have to read my design docs and make some plans tomorrow regarding the game as whole.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2013, 06:42:49 AM »

My graphic designer (who drew line-art) notified me that he is not going to continue after all. This and my full time software development summer job have led to some problems with this project.

At the moment I'm not sure what to do with this project. I could draw everything myself though at the moment my motivation is a bit low. Then again I think I' be rather angry to myself if I left this project to die even though it isn't that serious one. Seeing Oryx's great graphic packs has made me to think it might be easier to work with premade graphics and make extra ones only when necessary. Actually I'd really like to dabble with something roguelike-like.

That being said I made some graphic assets for Scorpionbox today and will color them later today and perhaps add them to the game itself. I just have to make some adjustments to my life/time usage regarding game development.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2013, 11:27:37 AM »

For now I decided to continue this project. I have finished three game-projects this year so don't want to break the trend now Tongue I'm trying to work on everyday for an hour or two and on weekends a bit more if possible. I made an assetlist which should have all most important graphic assets I have to do for game. There is 27 entries in the list spread like:

2x big sprites
7x death scenes (mostly background images)
11x sprites, size and complexity vary
6x backgrounds, complexity varies

Of course there is going to be lots of assets I haven't considered but the list should give a very good guideline. Most exhausting assets are the backgrounds, since they are big and complex images. Good thing is that most of the sprites will be included in them. I have set some priorities to the assets and finish at least one each day, though backgrounds will likely take couple of days to finish.

Because of increased workload, I'm probably going to cut down my story design a bit. I'm going to keep the things I have already done but rest will probably be done by improvising while working on the other stuff.

Oh, and here is the scorpion:

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 06:31:24 AM »

Screamy

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2013, 10:51:51 AM »

The progress has been slow lately and I haven't been able to keep up with everyday rule  Cry Tbh, I was really demotivated today but then got a burst of determination and finalized one lineart and I'm now coloring it in PS. I decided that now the main goal is to just get game done so I probably try to speedpaint everything which leads to lower overall graphics quality Sad However, without some measures like that I know I will not be able to finish the game.

I believe I can squeeze all the vital game graphics out pretty quickly now (not counting death scenes which are more complex static pictures - actually, help would be appreciated) if I just can motivate myself to work on them. After that follows the programming all the content. I'm afraid that my engine didn't turn out as good as I had planned (setting objects through Ogmo editor is a pain!) and it has few quirks. In the end it would probably been easier to do in Flashpunk. However, I think there is not turning back now in that regard.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2013, 09:31:16 AM »

I have managed to pick up some speed again. I finished two new backgrounds and their sprites today. At the moment there is three backgrounds left which are variations of each other so I might get away with only one lineart Smiley Other than backgrounds there are few sprites to be made. After those are done I should have all gameplay related graphics done.

I think that after I have finished gameplay graphics I set out to program the game. After that's done I probably draw the death scenes and add other vital stuff (menus, "achievements" etc), sounds etc.

I still have to think a bit about my engine to see if it makes any sense to develop this game in Starling. I think that I could port the engine to Flashpunk quickly enough and at the same time refactor the code to make the content creation much easier. Not sure if that's worth of it though.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2013, 12:37:57 PM »

Hooray! Final gameplay relevant graphics are done!

Now if my asset-list is correct I should have pretty much all required sprites, backgrounds etc. to make the actual game Smiley There is still cutscenes (deathscenes) to be done and most likely while programming I notice something missing but most of everything is now done!

As you might have guessed now the project is going to move into next phase; programming the content in. In practice I probably select different solutions from my solutions chart and program them one at time. You should also expect very simple playtest soon about interface and other similar aspects.

i.i
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »

rad scorpion, man  Hand Thumbs Up Right

very daunting.

i think it would add to the effect if you had added some more of the black scratchiness to his eyes.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2013, 12:08:26 PM »

Thanks Smiley I'll consider that.

Now I have moved into programming phase and first solution is underway. My Starling engine could be much better with few things (like placing objects to the screen) etc. but it's going steadily forward. Provided that nothing unexpected will happen and I have time to work on the game the first solution should be done rather soon. After that I'll probably supply a demo of the game for testing.

There will be 5 different solutions, though their programming effort will vary a bit so making any time estimations will be difficult. My plan however is to first program the different solutions in, then add sounds and death cutscenes. After that menus, "achievements" & other stuff will follow. Because of my day job I think that September is earliest realistic time the game will be released.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2013, 12:44:55 PM »

Progress has been a bit slower in last few days because I have been busy with other duties.

Anyway the programming is going fine so far. At the moment I have to do some design choices. I'm making a scene where player has to detach frozen turtle from the box. I want to involve player somehow. Basically make it a simple puzzle or minigame. If player succeeds, the turtle detaches, if player fails, the frozen turtle breaks  Evil

Now I have two ideas:

1. Player is given a lets say 5 different actions where each action represents the force used to detach the turtle. Player has to note what character says after each try. For example if he says "I probably have to try harder" player has to choose option with higher force. According this feedback player has to select correct sequence of these "power commands". If too much force is applied, the turtle will break apart.

2. A simple "minigame" where player has to press turtle and then shake it lightly to detach it. Too much shaking and turtle breaks. Too little and it won't detach.

I kind of like both ideas and they have their pros and cons. Which one sounds better? Also, if you have any ideas which are similar to 2. (minigame) feel free to share.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2013, 10:03:39 AM »

How to detach a frozen turtle:

Mockup, but probably gonna do something like this Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic