Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

997962 Posts in 39130 Topics- by 30535 Members - Latest Member: Chelle

April 17, 2014, 01:35:16 AM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTutorialsHypnotizing yourself into fighting procrastination
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Hypnotizing yourself into fighting procrastination  (Read 2486 times)
VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 01:14:16 AM »

Disabling the internet works wonders.

I- I never thought of that!  There's only 12 major backbone routers that all web traffic goes through, if a significant number of people the world over were infected with playing my game software, a strategic concerted timed blast of traffic at a single node might do the trick, then 11 more times, and repeat...  That's just crazy enough to work!

Oh, wait, no I'd have to make the game first.  Damn, almost had it.

impulse9
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 06:58:01 AM »

no thought just code

+1

Pedrosanchau
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 07:57:20 AM »

As for me, a single song I can use for two weeks is the best.

A single music keeps me away from distraction without being focused too much on it.

Last two weeks of work was made on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pimc2Wy1Sg0

Meaningful sounds (like TV show or podcasts) really doesn't work for me.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 10:47:34 PM »

Turning off my Airport helps me 100% with procrastination.

Do I need a signature?
Muz
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 07:56:21 PM »

Also a nice summary of how the brain learns (pay special note to the graphs):
http://www.slideshare.net/ParkerLe/how-the-brainlearns

It's data from decades ago, and more geared towards learning, but probably applicable to intense focus as well.

Summary:
- We learn best in 40 minute chunks. Too short and we feel rushed, too long and we get tired.
- There's a 5-15 minutes peak of focus in those periods of time (maybe needing a small ramp up time)
- a 'slow' period around 20 minutes in when you're still capable of maintaining focus, but won't really remember anything. Probably best for things like compiling.
- Another smaller 5 min peak of focus (like a second wind) near the end of the time block.
- After that, you should take a short break, from 5-30 minutes.

(maybe I should move this stuff into a tutorial on practical psychology or something Tongue)
RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 04:40:14 PM »

i suffer from near crippling procrastination, its the only facet of my personality i actively hate.  I'll do something about it one day..

I'm certain i'd have half a dozen games released by now if not for this, i can code really fast in work when i need to :-/

I think maybe its because i'm still below-par with C++ while i'm an expert at PHP, the language i use at work, i expect to see more progress than i do, and the conceptual differences are jarring.

just a case of getting through it though, i remember the day PHP clicked and made perfect sense to me, now its as easy as English..

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 02:13:54 AM »

i suffer from near crippling procrastination

Poser! If that'd were true, you wouldn't have posted this!  Mock Anger

(Which is my cute way of saying: If you realize you have a problem, you can deal with it)  Wink

Graham.
Level 10

hasn't made a game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 02:29:05 AM »

It's not the straight forward, though things can be done.
C.A. Sinner
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 06:03:28 AM »

how to stop procrastinating: stop worrying about procrastination.

Graham.
Level 10

hasn't made a game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 06:05:54 AM »

Not procrastinating is like a skill. I used to have it in my head that I had to work only when I could work for hours. Now I just work whenever I can.

It's like exercise. You do a little bit everywhere. It all helps. Eventually hard things become easy. Don't try to do it all at once.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic