Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

998174 Posts in 39144 Topics- by 30553 Members - Latest Member: drako30

April 18, 2014, 12:05:58 AM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessSetting up a PayPal option for Kickstarter?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Setting up a PayPal option for Kickstarter?  (Read 427 times)
Strife
Level 2

StrifeNet7
View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 13, 2013, 01:29:40 AM »

I've seen some Kickstarter game projects offer a PayPal option once the deadline has been reached, in which people can continue to donate money after the project has been funded. This has to be handled by the project owner, and I'm wondering how to go about it without getting my PayPal account flagged or something.

These kinds of PayPal payments are, essentially, donations to a for-profit cause. Do I have to setup my PayPal account with the assumption that I'm a business who is selling something, or can I get by with treating the transactions as personal? Is there a limit to how many donations one can receive before something happens to their account?

I've tried asking other Kickstarter projects about this process but haven't received a response yet, and I'd like to get it setup before my Kickstarter ends in less than two days. How should I go about it?

caiys
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 02:21:24 AM »

Well I imagine you would be on shaky ground claiming these are personal donations since they 'donating' to receive a product. From what I've read PayPal can be pretty fussy about donating via a personal account. If you're only dealing with small donations over a long period it might be worth the risk, but since you have no idea how many people will donate though kickstarter it's possible it may raise the alarm and the funds will be frozen. Personally I'd just set it up as a business account to be on the safe side, I think the only difference is they take about 3% from payments given to you.

Congrats on the extremely successful kickstarter btw. Hand Thumbs Up Right
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 02:59:46 AM »

Add a link to the text, with icons and stuff?

Yeah.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 04:09:57 AM »

Congrats on the successful kickstarter! Nice to see a (kinda) Danish developer there! Hand Thumbs Up Left

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hostile Takeover (TIGSource DevLog)
Strife
Level 2

StrifeNet7
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 06:03:58 AM »

Thanks guys!

It seems like I'll have to setup a separate Business account with PayPal in order for this to work. They'll probably take a chunk of it away for taxes, but it's safe and secure, and I'll have it for the future in case I decide to actually sell the game through PayPal.

Archibald
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 02:01:48 PM »

No, you need to pay the taxes yourself, PayPal won't handle these. It's just a payment processor. They only take the transaction fee.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic