Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:20:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralpoint A (not good) to point B (paradise)?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: point A (not good) to point B (paradise)?  (Read 2686 times)
thunderhead.hierophant
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2013, 04:05:19 PM »

I'll just let it drop:  I'm a criminally committed ward of the state with limited computer/internet access.  I live in a "residential care facility,"  kind of like a nursing home for crazies, and I have way too much time on my hands.

I'm always trying to figure out what to do with my time.  I was programming for awhile, till some idiot started accessing the wireless next door and got computers taken away from all of us.

I'd like to figure out how to learn a skill that will give me an income, or at least give me accomplishments I can point to when I feel like a scrub.  Eventually, in life, I'd like to have a small farm and gamedev after dark/during winter. 

So, simply put, if you were in my situation, what would you do with your time?
ChevyRay
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 04:10:38 PM »

wait if you had computers taken away from you, how are you on the web
thunderhead.hierophant
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 04:18:42 PM »

I have limited access to a common computer.  I no longer have my own computer in my possession, although I can access it.  The problem is that I can only be on my computer for unpredictable amounts of time...an hour here, maybe ten minutes there, depending on staff availibility -- not very conducive to work.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:17:36 PM »

I'll just let it drop:  I'm a criminally committed ward of the state with limited computer/internet access.  I live in a "residential care facility,"  kind of like a nursing home for crazies, and I have way too much time on my hands.

I'm always trying to figure out what to do with my time.  I was programming for awhile, till some idiot started accessing the wireless next door and got computers taken away from all of us.

I'd like to figure out how to learn a skill that will give me an income, or at least give me accomplishments I can point to when I feel like a scrub.  Eventually, in life, I'd like to have a small farm and gamedev after dark/during winter. 

clive. can i call you clive? these people are city folk and i ain't rightly trust their kind. they've never held a palmful of soil and let it tumble back to god's green earth contemplating its cropping potential. pursue your farming dream. tomatoes on the windowsill, fertiliser hidden in a sock, it's all possible with farming. maybe when your body glistens with the sweat of accomplishment and your forehead is creased from the turning of the seasons it will be time to pursue making your sonic the hedgehogs. for now, i think you know which way to turn.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 05:27:01 PM »

read books and masturbate
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 05:34:47 PM »

i'm not sure what you are asking. basically you described a situation alien to most people on this forum, and are asking that they imagine themselves in a situation they have no experience with, and asking what they'd do in a situation. this is basically foolish, because there's no real basis of knowledge

like, here's an analogy. imagine a guy who has no legs and arms goes to a forum where people have legs and arms, and he asks them 'hey guys, what would you do with your time if you have no legs and arms'. can he really expect reasonable answers? they don't know what that person is capable of doing, so they can't give good advice

same thing here, none of the advice you'd get would actually be useful because nobody knows much about what such a situation is like. but bearing all that in mind, i have two bits of advice:

1. take up reading, if you can get access to books. when i didn't have regular access to a computer with internet connectivity (e.g. before the world wide web existed and computers were commonplace -- yes i'm that old) reading was how i spent a lot of time. i don't read very much anymore, but as a teen i'd read maybe two books a day. so if you can somehow gain access to a collection of books, take up reading. their quality doesn't have to be great, any book is entertaining if you have nothing else to do, you just have to have enough of them so that you can read new material each day

2. take up writing. get access to a pen and paper and write stuff; short stories, a journal, a novel, whatever -- preferably do 1. before 2. because you won't be a very good writer until you are familiar with a wide variety of literature

mankoon
Level 4

And that is how you get to Llama School.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 08:00:17 PM »

I'd paper prototype a bunch of board games/card games.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 08:06:56 PM »

Your life seems interesting. Write about it.

impulse9
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 11:13:56 AM »

Study calculus, physics and chemistry in-depth. Use knowledge to escape.
Theophilus
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 12:24:15 PM »

I'm always trying to figure out what to do with my time.  I was programming for awhile, till some idiot started accessing the wireless next door and got computers taken away from all of us.

how did you post this with no computer?

I would probably give the same advice... read books, make board games, write stuff.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 12:37:26 PM »

It's not a crime to abstain from posting when you have nothing to add you know

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
poe
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 02:53:37 PM »

i would learn how to not be crazy, thus expediting my freedom and farming dreams

Good choice, I think I would try to get on the neightbor's wifi so that no one in the ward gets computers.

Or maybe take my crazy friends on a fishing trip.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 03:50:30 PM »

If there's a piano or guitar around I would try and learn.

I can't really offer anything specifically because I don't really know you. I usually can pick up on things like that once I get to know people, I think about things my friends would be really good at, qualities they have that just flow out of em.

How long will you be a ward of the state?
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 05:05:24 PM »

Prototyping board and card games seems smart. Without knowing more specifics, it'd probably also give you something to do with the others at your facility.

Learning an instrument is good too. A guitar might be difficult due to needing periodic maintenance, but it's a good choice if you can get one and keep it maintained. An ocarina or harmonica or similar small wind instrument is inexpensive and easy to maintain, and not too difficult to learn to play.

Reading books is fun, but you're not going to learn anything if you can't apply it somehow. Reading and writing might be an outlet, but becoming a paid writer is a difficult task even in the best of circumstances unless you pair it with other useful expertise or go for technical writing. Artistry (drawing, painting) is another good outlet. You should be able to easily work around various restrictions by adjusting your medium choices by what you're allowed to have. Being a professional artist is hard, but it's a more useful skill in social situations than writing.

Cooking and gardening are good skills you can learn if you have access to facilities. Woodworking would also be good, but there's a good chance you don't have access to any woodworking tools. You might be able to do some simple carving, depending on your specific situation.
thunderhead.hierophant
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 06:31:03 PM »

Thanks everyone.  Basically what I do is walk around while thinking about games/ other stuff, or play guitar.  I should read more.  I have some math books.  I should stop making excuses and try to write. 

Not sure how much longer I'll be locked up, but I'm counting in years.  Also:  No longer crazy.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 01:50:44 AM »

What are you in for?

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 02:29:13 AM »

Also:  No longer crazy.

That's weird -- posting in a TIGSource thread usually has the opposite effect! Durr...?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
thunderhead.hierophant
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 06:51:59 AM »

What are you in for?

One of the first rules of prison (I spent some time there) is that you NEVER ask this question.  But if people don't volunteer the information, you assume they're a pedophile. 

All I'll say is:  violent crime.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 12:01:01 PM »

One of the first rules of prison

this is the internet, not prison. for example, I could call you a faggot and not get in trouble.
thunderhead.hierophant
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 12:14:40 PM »

One of the first rules of prison

this is the internet, not prison. for example, I could call you a faggot and not get in trouble.

Prison makes you polite.  The internet generally has the opposite effect.  Good point, though.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic