Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:10:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTile Empires - Multiplayer Turn-Based Strategy
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Tile Empires - Multiplayer Turn-Based Strategy  (Read 12300 times)
compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2013, 03:15:54 PM »

Your assault against my empire has failed! I am glad you turned your hordes attention over to OHIO, allowing me time to build a MONSTROUS force with which to CRUSH YOU!

j/k

My houses as walls strategy was good but I think there is still balance needed as far as offense/defense goes. I built my empire with only a couple of entry points knowing this ahead of time. Eventually I think he is adding flying units and such so that you can't castle up like this.

The military micromanagement is definitely something that was problematic in the first Alpha where unit cost was such that there were literally hundreds of soliders running around and it took 20 minutes just for you to play 1 turn. I think being able to stack soldiers will go a long way to make that easier.

Ha, yup it was just taking soooo long.  I'm surprised you didn't fill up that passageway with more houses though.  Would have been even worse.

If someone was going to crush me, the next few days would be the time to do it.  I won't have internet access...

Aubrius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2013, 03:16:21 PM »

Sorry for late reply. I've been really busy with work, family, and other things.

Looks like I absorbed someone's empire. OHIO I'm guessing.
Yep, that's who it was. I emailed them asking if they wanted to be respawned, but no reply yet.

I was going to stop playing this because of the iron bottleneck, but after iron collection was put into the game, things seemed much more balanced.
Great!

-Slowness of catapults is too slow.
Other than their functionality, I haven't tested catapults that much. Do you think they should get the same movement amount as soldiers (5 tiles per turn)?

-Being able to use houses as weak walls.  Even crops can slow an invasion down considerably.  Doesn't make much sense.
Originally roads did this too. After seeing your little encounter with OHMSS, I'm thinking only military structures should cause you to attack and be blocked. Then I might just add a button to the UI so you can attack the structure on the unit's current tile.

-I didn't think of it when I started the game, but what if you just surrounded your capital with mountains on all sides... you would have a slow start, but could not actually lose.
Building mountains on all sides would slow down your starting build/economy since you have to connect resource structures to your capital via roads. A player could still just build a warehouse and use that from then on to get around this. Eventually, I want everything tied to the capital by roads. Even if that doesn't happen though, I have plans for things that can terraform already placed tiles. Like calling down a meteor to destroy mountains, or using manpower + gold to chop down forests for immediate wood resources but turning the forest tile into a grass tile. Then there is also the prospect of flying units that can go over mountains and walls.

-Not being able to move through your own units makes for annoyance and adds to the slowness of doing anything worthwhile with military.
-It's not really the slowness of the military stuff... It could probably actually be slower in order to match up with the speed it takes to build things... It's that you have to micromanage it all and do it every hour or so, otherwise the enemy can just destroy you while you aren't paying attention.  
My original plan was to leave units separated to prevent making this giant steam rolling machine that could just wipe through everything, but I agree micromanaging all those individual units is not fun. So now I'm thinking maybe allowing combining units up to a certain amount. 5 or 10 maybe? It may not even be an issue once I get the more powerful units in game. At that point you would be spending more resources on a few powerful units instead of spending all your resources on a slew of lowly soldiers.

-Which I guess is what the game comes down to, whoever checks in with it the most will probably win.
I'm trying as hard as I can to keep it from being that way while still having an incentive to check in regularly. But ultimately with any game, I think the players that check in more often will always have an advantage.

-being able to delete/kill your own units would be good.
Suicide has been added to my list Cheesy

Tile Empires - TIG DevLogDev Blog
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2013, 03:32:36 PM »

Ooh this game looks really sweet, and similar to something I've always wanted to prototype myself. Good luck with it! Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic