Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1026852 Posts in 41177 Topics- by 32784 Members - Latest Member: bmbtimber

July 25, 2014, 11:06:51 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsTile Empires - Multiplayer Turn-Based Strategy
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Tile Empires - Multiplayer Turn-Based Strategy  (Read 4508 times)
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 07:33:39 AM »

Sounds great! Do you have any estimated time on the next test phase maybe?

Aubrius
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 11:52:18 AM »

Sounds great! Do you have any estimated time on the next test phase maybe?

Probably in the next couple weeks. There are a few tweaks and bugs to iron out, and then also a new feature to finish up.

Tile Empires - TIG DevLogDev Blog
Nasawa
Level 0

Pic Unrelated

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 01:56:12 PM »

This looks pretty exciting. Kind of makes me want to go back and play some older city-building games. Signed up, I'd love to help test it out. I'm especially excited to hear about the queuing, since that's a huge problem with online games these days - you're either at your computer or you lose.

I'm a little curious about the interface though - is it going to be mostly mouse-only? I was just thinking that if it is point-and-click for the most part, you might be able to port this fairly easily to mobile markets once you have a little more time, if the game is mostly web-based.

Either way, good luck, and I hope to get an invite soon Wink

I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing.
Aubrius
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 12:49:14 PM »

I'm especially excited to hear about the queuing, since that's a huge problem with online games these days - you're either at your computer or you lose.

I'm glad other people are excited about this idea. Just please don't be too disappointed when the next test game starts. I haven't implemented the queuing yet. I'm trying to get more of the core game play working before I finish up the action queue.

I'm a little curious about the interface though - is it going to be mostly mouse-only? I was just thinking that if it is point-and-click for the most part, you might be able to port this fairly easily to mobile markets once you have a little more time, if the game is mostly web-based.

Yeah for the most part it is just point and click, click and drag, and a few keyboard shortcuts to make actions quicker.

Here is another neat little thing I just finished putting together. It is a time lapse of the world map while players are placing their tiles during the past test game. This is over the course of about 2 months.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhaWS_6SnyA

Crude example map

Right now there are plains, water, arctic,
forest, desert, and mountain tiles.

quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 09:44:15 AM »

Looks really interesting. I like the puzzle aspect of laying out tiles. You said it runs in the browser: what tech are you using? HTML5? Java? Unity?

Cheers

Aubrius
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 09:10:01 AM »

You said it runs in the browser: what tech are you using? HTML5? Java? Unity?

The main graphical client is in Flash. I wish I could have done it in HTML5 or Unity. But when I first started working on this a few years ago, Flash was the only thing I had to work with (software and knowledge-wise).

Aubrius
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 10:34:41 AM »

Docks - Construction

Docks - Built

Fishing Boat

Catapult

Getting the next test game to the state where I wanted it has taken longer than I expected (of course). Most of the time I have spent on Tile Empires lately has been bug fixing - bugs like armies walking on water and conquering an enemy not giving you the land and buildings they owned.

Though, I have been able to get some new features in. Docks, fishing boats, and catapults.

Docks are the most basic version of a port. You can build fishing boats from this basic version and military ships from the larger versions.

Fishing boats act kind of like mobile food producers. They give a 25% chance of food for each adjacent empty pure water tile. I'm hoping this will give a non military incentive for building lakes, rivers, and oceans. They have 1 hit point and do no damage in combat.

Catapults finally make it easier to get through enemy walls and buildings. They have 1 hit point and do no damage to other units. If used to attack a structure such as a wall or capital, they do 10 points of damage each attack. Right now you have to move right up on your target to deal damage with catapults, but once I've implemented ranged attacks - they will be able to attack structures from a few tiles away.

I think I'm going to add in watch towers and messenger stables. Then I'll get the next game ready by setting up accounts and doing the random spawn process into the world for each player.

Aubrius
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 05:01:12 PM »

After months of telling myself one more thing, one more thing, one more thing, I finally stopped adding new items and fixed most of the bugs. Test game 3 is set to start next Friday *crosses fingers*.

I created a player guide to help the new players get a better grasp of what is going on, and I also created a "getting started" video that you can check out to see how the game actually plays right now - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGVQTLIijAo&hd=1.

I really hope everyone that signed up for it enjoys it!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:38:30 AM by Aubrius » Logged

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 12:02:58 AM »

the video is set to private?

Aubrius
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 04:39:21 AM »

Wow I'm a newb. I just updated the link. I had linked it to an old version that was indeed private. Thanks for pointing that out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGVQTLIijAo&hd=1

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 05:10:26 AM »

This looks awesome. The graphics bring me back. You kept proportion with the human units!!! So rarely is that done. It really lets you immerse when you don't have people running around that are the size of buildings like in AOE sometimes. Love the shadow on the fishing boat. Keep it up.

Felledor
Manbaby

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 05:43:32 AM »

I registered just to say that this looks awesome and that I have signed up for testing.
Aubrius
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 05:28:27 AM »

This looks awesome. The graphics bring me back. You kept proportion with the human units!!! So rarely is that done. It really lets you immerse when you don't have people running around that are the size of buildings like in AOE sometimes.

Thanks! I really wanted to keep everything in correct proportion, but things like the mountains and some buildings probably aren't going to look right unless I change their proportions. It will be really fun once I get some larger units in game.

I registered just to say that this looks awesome and that I have signed up for testing.

Yay!

I just sent out game invites last night around 11pm EST. So if anyone signed up and did not receive the email, let me know. The first turn has started, and the normal hourly turns will be starting at noon EST today.

johnki
Level 9

Invisi-wizard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 08:12:39 AM »

Played a bit today. A bit clueless on what I'm doing but I'm working on it. Didn't watch the video yet.

Mostly just threw my tiles together in ways that seemed to make sense and set up a farm and explorer since the guide said something about the explorer getting you tiles based on where it's placed.

Not really sure how player interaction works yet or if there is any beyond the rankings board.

I really don't like that you can't click on empty space to move the camera.

EDIT: Oh, I noticed that you can't seem to edit your flag and that your name and empire name don't change in the top bar if you change them.

Aubrius
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 09:21:15 AM »

I really don't like that you can't click on empty space to move the camera.

The user interface and stuff like moving the view around are still a rough work in progress. The fact that the user interface covers up like half the screen when you try to move around is really annoying as well. I really need to change that.

EDIT: Oh, I noticed that you can't seem to edit your flag and that your name and empire name don't change in the top bar if you change them.

The flag is just a placeholder right now until I get time to work on it. I'm working on a system where you can edit the flags pixel by pixel. Then it would show up on the site anywhere your empire is mentioned, and also in game on some of your buildings.

I see what you are talking about with the empire and ruler name not changing at the top. I'll add that to my list!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic