Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

997611 Posts in 39109 Topics- by 30516 Members - Latest Member: Genika

April 16, 2014, 12:41:50 AM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeArtMy Pixel Art Book
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My Pixel Art Book  (Read 652 times)
matwek
Level 1

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2013, 09:06:37 AM »

Ive always liked the idea of writing a book, not a novel but a book about a topic I enjoy. Since Im also interested in art that seemed like the logical choice but I hadnt figured out what style I wanted the book to be in until now.
I dont want the book to just be a collection of pictures or a descriptive/informative book about art; I wanted it to be something different.

The idea Ive come up with is a book about my experiences with Pixel Art. It wont just be a selection of pixel art because I dont think my art is good enough to warrant a book of its own, neither will it be a detailed tutorial on how to create pixel art, as the internet has that covered. What I was instead hoping to come up with is a collection of thoughts, ideas, autobiographical stories and tips all complied into one place, all relating to pixel art and all illustrated with my work.

Think of it like one of those art books you get in collectors editions of games, except the game that the art is taken from doesnt exist. I want to include all sort of things such as (but not limited too)

Drafts to final pieces
   Samples of unfinished experiments
   Animation frames
   Tips for being a freelancer
   Examples of different styles
   Pallet choices
   Full screen mock-ups
   Details on making art for games
   Stories about game development

Basically its an artistic autobiographical representation of my time as a rookie pixel artist making tilesets for fan games, right up to working freelance professionally and what I hope to achieve next.
I know it sounds a bit indulgent writing a book about myself but I wondered if the topic alone would maybe interest people enough for them to read it?

You can find a small sample of my work here...
http://www.facebook.com/matwekpixel

Mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 09:31:34 AM »

Well, there are a few things you should consider:

Will there be an audience that would be interested in you? If you don't already have a following then how will you drum up interest? There is a big chance that it will just under massive a pile of other books. Though the topic of your book is unique that doesn't mean much.

How much experience do you have and what notable projects have you been involved in? Judging by you Facebook page you are quite productive and competent. I'm going to be blunt and say that your artistic skills don't interest me, someone else might think the contrary.

matwek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »

I guess this is more of a personal art project of own really, rather than trying to make money or gain a decent following. I just want to produce something unique and fun and was wondered if anyone else might of had similar thoughts and ideas or was interested in the idea of something a little different.

I have such a back log of unused and unusable art that I thought it might be nice to arrange it in a way that could be considered art in its own right. Making art from art if you will. Mixed media with retro art.

If all goes well maybe I can come up with something that does interest you  Wink

caiys
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 10:02:46 AM »

This is unrelated to your book, but one possible way of finding use in your archive of unused art is to turn them over to the wilds of the internet. Can be a pretty sweet feeling watching the various ways others use it to help build their creations.
Mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 10:04:24 AM »

I don't think that book is the right format for this even if you are just going to put it out online. Make a webpage.

matwek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 12:23:28 AM »

This is unrelated to your book, but one possible way of finding use in your archive of unused art is to turn them over to the wilds of the internet. Can be a pretty sweet feeling watching the various ways others use it to help build their creations.
I've tried that before but nothing came of it, although that's probably more my fault due to missing bits in tilesets that I don't have the time to fix.
Although I'm still think donating it might be the way to go, maybe I could combine both ideas and create a little art comp..?

People can have access to my spare pixel art as long as they promise to make a game only using my off cuts, we could end up with some cool patchwork style games.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic