Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:20:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeHigh Resolution Effects Pack
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: High Resolution Effects Pack  (Read 7468 times)
Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2013, 05:47:37 PM »

Decided to start making generic prototyping assets for game designers and programmers. Not too sure how many people would be interested in purchasing such a pack. but i think i can fulfill some niches that haven't been filled.

One of the differences is the sheer number of effects, as the biggest problem with purchasing pre-made assets is that there usually isn't enough quality or enough of the same thing in the same style.

They will be sold for $5 with free access to all the updates to the pack, with the price raising every time there is an update.

I'm aiming for at least 20 effects to be in the v 1 of this pack. (hopefully ending up at over 100 when I'm finished if there is the support for it). They would be released as transparent pngs at 512x512 resolution.

This is just working in the first style of the pack, I'm planning on a few different styles.

What sort of effects would you guys like to see included, and would you be interested in it?

Feedback is appreciated!

EDIT: should this have gone in the art subforum?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 06:23:04 PM by Muzz » Logged

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 11:56:55 PM »

more

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 03:58:28 AM »

Haha maybe i need to make a pixel art version before anyone will be interested >_<.  Waaagh!

Ant
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 04:19:53 AM »

The lack of interest is probably just the price and tigs somewhat primarily being a forum of poor indie devs who do most stuff by their self. If I ever needed effects like the ones you're offering then it's very likely I'll probably already be teaming up with an artist anyway. Really the only reason to buy them is to save a day or two making effects, so not a very enticing offer.
Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 04:26:38 AM »

Yeah that's fair enough.

I can't really justify spending the time on a project like this unless it does pay.

Though i do find it a little weird that you say the price is too much, $5 is far cheaper than any alternative.

It's weird most of the interest I've gotten is from artists wanting to work out how i did them haha.
Though i do disagree with the only reason why you would buy them is too save time, if you don't have the experience to make good looping effects then time is irrelevant.

I will say i do feel dirty advertising this in places that i am not a usual forum member. Maybe i should try and be a better part of the community before hocking my shit here.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 04:52:52 AM by Muzz » Logged

VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 10:04:16 AM »

i do feel dirty advertising this in places that i am not a usual forum member. Maybe i should try and be a better part of the community

There's no maybe about it. Everyone could benefit from "Lurking more".

For instance: There are collaboration threads here.  Perhaps make a game with the assets first, or respond directly to folks who are looking for artists in the business forum.

If you retain your copyright to the assets instead of assigning the copyright to someone else expect less pay.  Perhaps partner with a coder: Having a bunch of game assets available and the engine to use with them might be more appealing, plus the game itself is advertising for the assets/engine licensing.   I mean, Folks mod games into other games all the time -- I've seen some shit; I've played Monopoly and even

in a Doom engine.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 10:09:32 AM by VortexCortex » Logged

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 04:01:22 PM »

I work full time making games, this is just an experiment to see is anyone would be interested in such a pack. I am also a coder and am coding my own game (which i might get to posting about). The amount of effort that would go into making an "example game" just isn't worth the time. If I'm going to do that i might as well make a full game with them.

i will be releasing the assets under a non attribution creative commons. Not sure why i would want to retain the copy-write if I'm selling them to a public space like this...

VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 06:05:26 PM »

Could your actual game be the "example game"?  If not, then if I were you I'd just spend the time on getting my actual game done rather than make assets that don't directly get my game closer to being played.  However, I'm not you -- although, you're among kindred spirits who identify with the desire to start new projects instead of finishing existing ones...

Quote from: Madk
i will be releasing the assets under a non attribution creative commons. Not sure why i would want to retain the copy-write if I'm selling them to a public space like this...

FYI: With CC you retain copyright, but expressly state the license for use.  In some countries (notably, USA) it's impossible to put your work directly into the public domain.  Only saying, "this is now public domain", doesn't mean much.  Under the Berne Convention you're immediately granted copyright for your works.  Using "Public Domain" works that haven't entered public domain through natural copyright expiration or by being created by government projects (some tax funded works immediately enter public domain) can be risky to adopters of the resources: At any later time (your lifetime + 70 years) you or your estate could choose to assert copyright over the works in use.  This has occurred a few times, and is why CC-Zero exists.

My retention statement was with regard to the practice of transferring of exclusive copyright to another game developer (who payed for your work), for which you can typically get more initial pay rather than if the assets remain yours, and you're free to re-license them to others (not just the dev you made them for).

You may also want to retain more control than only a non attribution license if you're selling assets to a public space in order to dictate distribution rights.  Otherwise I can simply buy them for $5.00 and re-sell them for $1.00 to undercut your price and make money for nothing.  Consider a CC Non Commercial license to prevent (or at least make illegal) such practices, and instead grant a limited commercial use license for purchase.  To truly sell them directly to the public consider a crowd funding campaign (kickstarter?) whereby you get paid a set price once for the creation of the goods and afterwards don't have to employ artificial scarcity by trying to sell copies of bits that are in infinite supply.

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 08:36:39 PM »

I'm releasing it with no drm, and i honestly don't care if you thought it would be a good idea to resell it. I wouldn't go after you anyway simply because the sort of customer that would buy it off a reseller isn't the sort of customer I'm interested in.

"If not, then if I were you I'd just spend the time on getting my actual game done rather than make assets that don't directly get my game closer to being played."

No but it pays the bills while I'm making a game.

Not entirely sure about all the negativity here. It feels like anyone who tried to sell work is viewed with some weird sort of disgust here at tigsource. I'm not a bad guy because I'm trying to fund my own games the only way i know how, getting paid for making art.
I'm not even rehashing other work that has been done like this.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 09:01:03 PM »

Five dollars seems cheap to me. Though I'm an indie dev that actually sells games, and pays contractors, and so forth..

I wouldn't personally be interested in this pack though, as we do PA games, and well my partner is an artist with like 20+ years of assets laying around.

King Hadas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »

There's nothing wrong with selling your art. I think it's the way your selling it that's a problem, as a pack that anyone can buy. If someone here needs an asset bad enough they'll pay for it I think they're going to want it either tailor made for them or at least exclusively theirs.

By the way those do look amazing.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 12:03:52 AM »

This looks stunning! I would definitely be interested in buying something like that if I happened to be working on a high resolution game.

Haha maybe i need to make a pixel art version before anyone will be interested >_<.  Waaagh!
But seriously, do you have one planned, or are you capable of doing pixel art stuff? I'd be interested in some original commissioned work if you do that kind of thing.

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 12:43:03 AM »

Thanks guys Smiley.

King, perhaps you can more see the use of such a pack to try out styles of effects in game to see how they feel in game where you can then get your artist to do the final effects in the games style.

For the pixel art thing, I was planning on doing a simple scaling down with nearest neighbor then palatalizing. The beauty with these sort of effects is that it actually works well because of the cell shading nature of it. Obviously I'll need to hand tweak things though.

I do do pixel art though. You may have seen two games i did the art on a few years ago. The psp mini, Age of Zombies and iOs game Monsterdash.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 08:07:55 AM »

I just want to add my two cents and say these look great and I would happily pay $5 for them.

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 05:57:27 AM »

Yay!

What do people think of this explosion style? (tank and batteries not included)

Probably going to add more colours to the beam.

Also.... i noticed there is another forum goer by the name of muz... maybe i should change my username as he was here first?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:38:12 AM by Muzz » Logged

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 06:46:40 AM »

i love all of these effects.

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 09:50:47 PM »

+1 here for buying your effects pack  when you release it Smiley

skaven
Level 0

Addicted to gamedev.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 04:28:36 AM »

I love your art. I would buy it!
PeteDevlin
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 03:03:50 PM »

I'd definitely buy them, it's a great idea
Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 08:30:54 PM »

Thanks guys!

With all the interest i decided to expand the scope a little and include a tutorial pdf on animating effects.

So it also becomes a learning tool as well Smiley.

Just a little preview.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic