Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:01:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFerdy The Cat!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Ferdy The Cat!  (Read 14550 times)
nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2013, 11:12:49 AM »

The game is released and up for grabs at www.ferdythecat.com

Android version is coming soon.

Original Post, February 16th, 2013

The game startet out as a simple clone of the excellent Gameboy puzzle title Kwirk. In the process of my efford a new design emerged. Blocks can be pushed around by the main character. Neighboring blocks of the same color merge into a new shape. Blocks pushed into holes form a new walking ground. As a fairly simple project, this is something I feel has a realistic probability to become a finished game. I am interested in evolving a basic ruleset that produces rather complex situations. I like the idea of flexible visual constellations that are effectively playing out in a functional way. Pushing the colored blocks around and merging them into new shapes kind of works as a creative stimulus to the player. The resulting shapes though are always subordinate to the mechanics of the game. Two of my favourite games being Dwarf Fortress and OpenTTD, I am interested in a similar feel of complexity from a different angle and of course a much smaller scale. In that sense, the visual representation is at first a means to communicate the logic of the game.

Click here to play the prototype

February 16th, 2013
HTML5/Javascript
Works in Chrome and Firefox.

For now, there are just 12 demo levels. The first ones being very simple to introduce the basic mechanism, the later ones more towards the difficulty I want the game to have. As long as the overworld is not implemented, you can use the +/- keys to navigate between levels.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 03:47:55 AM by nikolaus » Logged

koiwai
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 02:04:44 PM »

Very very nice! The game mechanics seems to be unique, and you really achieved the goal: Very complex game emerges from simple rules Smiley

Because player is able to build bridges and merge blocks, it is quite hard to solve, even though levels don't look very complex. Maybe, I still have not developed intuition for this game though.

Intorductory levels introduce game concepts nicely, no need for text/tutorials.

I had one small problem: Sometimes the cat was making two steps, when I intended to make only one. Maybe, his movements are just a bit sluggish, but it gives him personality )

nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 04:55:24 PM »

Thanks for the nice words.

I do realize some of the levels currently dont have a very meaningful level of difficulty. The learning curve probably needs to be moderated a lot more. This is really the most challenging aspect of game design, and a fairly new field to me. My favorite levels being actually those on the end of the demo set.

As for the controls, there is of course no excuse. Has to be smoothed out a lot.

nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 12:39:04 AM »

Hello Peoples,

after an almost six month hiatus, I decided to revive this little project of mine.

At the moment I am mainly working on refining the graphics, level design and overall polishing of the experience.

Here are some recent screenshots for your enjoyment. I wont update the prototype for now, though.

TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 01:17:20 AM »

That demo is so much fun, I love the art style too!

koïnsky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 01:34:11 AM »

I'm impressed with game mechanics. It's original and simple, quite powerful. And it's fun to toy around with the blocks. Great work.
rrTea
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 01:49:29 AM »

I really liked it, feels great! I only managed to test it up to the third screen but will get back to it as soon as I'm done with work!

I just wish the graphics were upscaled a bit at least 2*, or maybe there's a noption for that and I missed it?
nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 02:13:15 AM »

I just wish the graphics were upscaled a bit at least 2*, or maybe there's a noption for that and I missed it?

Thanks guys! The current iteration automatically scales to the screen estate. Not a good time for a new demo now though - I keep you guys updated with screenshots until everything is polished out ;-)

nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 06:48:40 AM »

Slowly working my way to a coherent visual style...

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 07:15:27 AM by nikolaus » Logged

nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »

Alright, guys,

as a new years resolution, I decided to revive this project for a second time. Its time to show something off here again.

At the moment, I am in the process of rewriting the whole game with Java to benefit from increased perfomance compared to the javascript version. Mechanics wise, not a lot has changed - there is a new dissolving on contact floor type. I realize the hardest part is to actually finish this thing with a satisfying level of polish.

Been working on level design and graphics on the side. Something to watch:

Kiririn51
Level 0

I do pretty drawings

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 01:51:48 PM »

Haha, oh my god this game is amazing and very dangerous if you are at work, I really like the graphics in this as well they look very cute.

my devlog here is ded but my tumblr is not: blog.waifubartending.com
mpolney
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 06:26:43 PM »

I just played through the prototype. There are some good puzzle designs in here. You might be interested in some of the ideas from a short color-merging block pusher I made a little while back called Coin Stash. Type 'COINS' and press 'G' to skip stages if you want to look at some of the stages. The presentation is pretty half-baked compared to what you've got here (especially your WIP screenshots), but there are some block types that might be of interest to you.
nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 03:51:45 AM »

@mpolney
Some nice Ideas you had there. Biggest problem for me is how to translate that into a meaningful graphical representation. Most of my current levels already have this high level of abstraction the player really has to get used to first. I actually like that, but I am trying to keep it as complicated and at the same time simple as possible.

The other extreme would be some kind of multidimensional low level programming language puzzles.

nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 07:57:57 AM »

Isn't that something:

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 08:16:46 AM »

The game looks great. I really like the merging mechanic, to the point where I'd almost rather see less of the other mechanics and more pure merging (more depth, less breadth). The graphics look good, and the mixed-resolution somehow works in your favor, which feels odd to say.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 10:26:13 AM »

Fun and challenging .. my only issue is the controls feel really laggy and I often accidentally move two spaces at once.  I have to tap the arrow keys very lightly for any kind of precise movement.  Also hard to determine exactly when you're going to stop moving.

Could just be a browser/HTML5 issue.
nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 08:57:42 AM »

@Udderdude Glad you liked it. Contols are already smoothed out, at this point there is just no sense in updating the prototype.

@Glyph Thanks! I guess the game will be rather purist, if that is a good thing.

Been working on these rather unorthodox fireworks today:

Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 04:39:58 PM »

Just tested out the prototype and wanted to join in on the cheers! Quite interesting puzzle mechanics...simple to play, but difficult to master.  Well done!

Regulus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 10:46:38 PM »

I really enjoyed the game mechanics, and had the same problem as a few others of taking two steps instead of one. But, other than that small caveat, it was really awesome. It's too fun just merging pieces together.
nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 04:54:26 AM »

Not to spoil too much - the eight worlds, each consisting of six challenging stages.

World 1 - more of an introduction:

In other news, the talented Mr. Belinksa offered to compose some tracks for the game. I have something to look forward to!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic