Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1038151 Posts in 41950 Topics- by 33562 Members - Latest Member: nought

September 01, 2014, 05:48:27 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhy am I making my game free?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Why am I making my game free?  (Read 512 times)
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 16, 2013, 02:28:03 PM »

Hi there, my recently release Stampede 3D has, within the game, the ability to fast-track upgrades and stuff with real money

Initially the game was put on the app store for an up-front price, but now that sales have almost completely dropped off I am wanting to make the game free to download in the hope of maybe getting some revenue in through our micro-transaction feature.

So I'm writing up a press release, trying to explain that the game is now free, but how can I word this without bluntly saying "we are making it free because we aren't making money and we would like to make some money"
Can anyone think of a less horrible way to put it?

John Sandoval
TIGTumblr Editor
Global Moderator
Level 10

king piss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 02:38:59 PM »

Is an explicit explanation required? "Stampede 3D is now FREE!" sounds good enough for me.

siskavard
Level 10

FUTUREBEARD

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 03:13:12 PM »

What John said

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »

Yeah I guess, it's just that press releases kinda need to have some length/substance to them if I want them to actually get published, some PR distribution services even have a minimum word count I think.

But yeah, I guess it's not exactly necessary to explain why it's free, I'll just try to fill it out with text describing the game or something

feminazi
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 05:32:31 PM »

if you need something to announce update the game with things
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 06:15:49 PM »

if you need something to announce update the game with things
Good idea, there are a few easy bugs I could quickly fix

Muz
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 07:24:22 PM »

Some of the people who paid for it are going to be pissed off if you release it for free. Since you're switching to microtransactions, might I suggest giving them free in-game credits worth more than what they paid? E.g. if it's a $10 game, give them $11-$20 worth of credits. If possible, add some worthless badge that recognizes them as early buyers.

One of the biggest problems with microtransactions is that people tend to consider it immoral to buy stuff. By giving them free credits, you'll morally "loosen" up the micro-transaction economy, and make them feel like they've got a great deal by buying it early. Since everyone has a bunch of credits, it makes microtransactions feel like something normal, loyal people do, and not something that douchebags with no value of money spend on.

IMO, honesty is the best policy. Your fans will come up with all kinds of conspiracy theories anyway (and research/prove those theories). Just say something along the lines of "Hey, we've decided to make this game freely available so everyone can enjoy it! But our loyal buyers will get free stuff!"

EDIT: Oh, and after talking with a few guys about pricing, nobody really notices or cares when you change the price. Like when you saw your favorite diner raise its prices up by $1 (or lower serving sizes), did you decide to walk away?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:44:30 PM by Muz » Logged
trilby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 10:24:17 PM »

Off the top of my head you're n price tier 4.  You could always drop a few tiers first before going free and run a special offer promo instead.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic