Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1027668 Posts in 41235 Topics- by 32851 Members - Latest Member: suetx2105

July 28, 2014, 06:34:51 PM
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCalifornia Adventure Time?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: California Adventure Time?  (Read 423 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile Email
« on: February 16, 2013, 03:42:08 PM »

Okay. So I'm still living and developing out of my car, living on food stamps, and have completely obliterated my job market here in Bakersfield, CA. It's becoming vastly obvious that I've achieved what I can in the area; and although I fear that some local communities may fall apart without me here to foster them, there's not a lot of "fostering" I can do in my present conditions.

SO!! Like any good videogame adventurer, there's only one thing to do. TRAVEL. Ideally, somewhere that can be designated as "forwards" in any/every sense of the word.

Do you have an indie-dev community in/around California, and if so, how tight-knit and involved is it? Would you say your town is somewhere it's possible (or likely?) to easily get a home/living situation established in? Do you have arcades, bookstores, bowling alleys, skating rinks, etc. around there? Any certain gaming genre communities? How about Walmarts, Denny's, or 24-hour grocery stores (that's mainly where/how I've been car-camping).

Maybe the time has finally come to hit the Warp Zone. I do have a lot of history and friends/family here that is not easy to let go of. But if anything were to be blossoming here, after as much time and attention and effort as I've put into it, I'm certain it would exist by now...

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 12:45:29 PM »

Haha, yes, find the silver lining in the homeless cloud, my brother.  Consider being a nomad for a little while if you think you can pull it off.  (I suppose the cost of gas sort of kills that proposition these days, though.)  Stay the hell away from LA if you're looking for a place to settle down.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:53:08 PM »

Yeah. That sudden gas spike, and winter's revenge storm put quite the temporary (I HOPE) qwebash to that idea for the moment. But it'll be warm soon. And I was only gonna visit LA for dev-get-together and dating potential, because it does appear to have some. I heard of GameSpace LA and was curious about it.

In the longer haul, I suspect NorCal has more professional options, and isn't that where TIGS is HQ'd?

Yes, where it's hardcored...

Only thing there is the cold. Cold and I don't get along one bit. North border was hinted at a bit by some PMs, but since I'm foodstamping still, I'm gonna have to remain in state borders. Or find a way to hoard a month's worth of food in a two-seat compact car without it spoiling or crushing to hell, and still be able to get to it and the rest of my stuff. ~.~

Economics may keep me trapped locally, though; which sucks because the only potential here I'm aware of was what I was trying to create when I DID have a home base.

Konidias
Level 4

konidias
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 09:57:32 AM »

I live in Burbank... I feel like it's the best of everything. 20 minutes from Los Angeles, nice quiet city full of studios and parks. Very little crime, pockets of cheap rent areas mixed in around million dollar houses. Great weather, less smog, 30 minutes from the beach.

I frequently visit LA/Hollywood for social events. I visit Little Tokyo and Koreatown for the delicious food. I pop down to Disneyland a few times a month. It's nice.

As for the game dev scene... well I'm sure there's something in LA but I'm not really into the social game dev scene. Right now I typically work by myself.

Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 01:54:44 PM »

Santa Cruz.
Beach town, you can find cheap housing, and Edmund McMillen lives there. Yayuh.

Additionally, if you need a couch to crash on for a few days in the SF area, ping me.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic