Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:47:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Artist devlog - Pixel monsters
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Artist devlog - Pixel monsters  (Read 8531 times)
Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2013, 12:27:49 PM »

I thought I'd make this thread for motivational purposes for myself and collect criticism. I shall post my WIP images as I go along making hundreds of these things. It's all for the same game project by the way. Smiley

I've already done around 20, such as these

Heres the first bit

(keep scrolling down, there's more)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:26:25 PM by Delicious » Logged

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
pxl
Level 0

@pixelforge

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 12:32:05 PM »

Woah, these are really good.
You did a really good job with the shading and your art style is fantastic, they look very unique and very good, no flaws.

Keep it up, whatever you're doing, you're doing it well! Smiley

impulse9
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 12:36:19 PM »

I like it. Smiley
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 12:58:20 PM »

I like that it's not in the same cutsie style of Pokémon. I don't know what to criticize, they all look great!

You should interpret some of these:

Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 10:42:24 PM »

Thank you guys Smiley

Pokemon is great inspiration.

Also, something else - the last one is the most WIP of the bunch.

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 05:01:23 AM »

What elements are featured in the game? Will it have the same style of combat as Pokémon?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:10:35 AM by Mono » Logged

errik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 05:57:01 AM »

Let me start by saying that the art is magnificent!

I have some crits not concerning the art style but rather the evolution, I don't think the evolution into the last one is "logical" (though that might be the point ofc). I think a "smart" one should keep the smart style and don't turn into a "beast"

also in this one i think it would be nice with a bit more change in the last one, more mane or something Smiley

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 06:17:02 AM »

I think a "smart" one should keep the smart style and don't turn into a "beast"

I'm sorry I don't mean to spam your thread Delicious. I like the idea of branching evolution. For instance if a creature could turn into either a light or dark version.

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 06:23:57 AM »

Just want to say that these look siiiick!  Noir

Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 02:15:48 PM »

Thank you guys!  Smiley

What elements are featured in the game? Will it have the same style of combat as Pokémon?
Elements are still being thought up, but I think I'm just going to stick with: Water, Fire, Earth, Dark, and Light.

Combat will be very similar as in Pokemon, allowing you to use items from your inventory during battle and picking out which attack move you'd like to set that may be relative to the opponents weakness. Catching monsters will be a bit different but have a similar base, you collect their soul with various equipment after you decrease their health for better odds.  

I loved everything about the classic Pokemon games so I'll be mocking it quite closely with the twist of an MMORPG - Large project but a great experience hopefully.

Let me start by saying that the art is magnificent!

I have some crits not concerning the art style but rather the evolution, I don't think the evolution into the last one is "logical" (though that might be the point ofc). I think a "smart" one should keep the smart style and don't turn into a "beast"

Thanks Smiley Well, the furthest left is called "Dream" > "Reverie" > "Nightmare", you evolve from Dream into either Nightmare or Reverie depending on how it's tamed.

I'll take that into consideration, but for those monsters it was intended. Wink

Also updated these monsters a bit. Needs a lot of touch up and rendering still.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:33:06 PM by Delicious » Logged

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 08:38:18 PM »

Mocking up what the battle screen will look like.

This bit is for the opponent/enemy. Ideas? Opinions?

The base will change depending on where you are. Grassy areas will appear like that, then there will be cave, mountain, sand, snow etc bases.

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 02:26:23 AM »

really pretty, looks like a mature version of pokemon.

poe
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 03:56:45 PM »

I would play the shit out of this.
Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 01:41:14 PM »

Thank you guys Smiley

I have to agree with the illogical progression on the evolution of the first one, "Nightmare" needs some work to link it from the first one, the red elements just disappear... Or perhaps it just needs an egg/baby form and a new evil young form to go alongside "Dream" so you can go to that extreme without it being a massive jump, so it diverges at the baby form rather than the young form.

Also I think the wolf 2nd and third form aren't different enough. And the face/horns of the third bug evolution looks horribly cartoony to me like you'd see on the simpsons, the second looks more evil/demonic IMO.

Latest one I don't think its left arm reads too well against its body, also the chest is a bit odd compared to the rear, feels like it should be low down instead of being raised.

But yeah I think they all look very good, keep up the good work.
Thanks! I'm satisfied with the way they turned out though, but I do agree that Nightmare may seem too different, but that was the initial point. I may add the red rings around his ankle though to give further connection between them. Dream alone will be considered strong, and the very first evolution of him shouldn't appear weak or baby-like in my opinion.

Agreed, I'm doing what I can to fix that without getting rid of it's dog-like features. Yes, haven't yet rendered him, but I will fix that. Smiley

Thank you for the suggestions. Appreciate it.

Too lazy to make transparent now, so I'm sorry for the grey. Still working on it, little bit of progress.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:14:52 PM by Delicious » Logged

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 01:55:50 PM »

looking good mate

Carefree games
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 03:26:17 PM »

Oh, joy! I'm glad you've made this tread. I've seen some of your creature designs here and there, but now they have a their own spot! Cool.

So yeah, I obviously like them. I'd say the mockup looks fine, and would like to suggest that the terrain on which the enemy is shown be different depending on where it was encountered.

If you have never seen Jade Cocoon 2, I think it's creatures/evolutions could provide some great inspiration. Not to say that you need it, but only that it would be worthwhile checking out.
Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 05:04:56 PM »

Thank you. Smiley

Yes, the terrain/base will change depending on where the enemy is.

Never heard, but I'll check it out, thanks!

another update on this one

Togum > Clamper > Buzz-Kill

Also,

Threesided made the design for this, though I put the traingle instead for readability and it suits it's creaters name. Perhaps "Triangle" > "Mr. Triangle"? Also, I shall put a triangle on the smaller ones head later.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/AlienQuark/d_rock_monster_zps6ad8691a.png
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 02:47:53 PM by Delicious » Logged

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 12:03:29 AM »

Cool insects! I like your colors and lighting.

The triangle guy looks pretty good too. Although,

1) The design you linked (which is missing a colon in the link after "http") has hexagons rather than triangles. It's obviously up to you, but I like the hexagon design more-so, for a reason that kind of ties into 2.

2) The second form looks more rock / meteor-ish in the design pic, where it looks more blob-ish in the sprite (I didn't see it as a rock / boulder-like creature). The hexagon head mark ties into the rock feel more - the triangle just seems like it's 'there' on the sprite a bit (though it's obviously not done).

Anyway, cool design, and really nice adaptation to the sprites! Keep it up!

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 05:14:04 AM »

Looks great! Maybe you want to change the gameplay a little from pokemon, though, as it'll mean you'll have to do thousands of animations.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 05:17:15 AM »

Oh, nice, I love these

I've always wanted to make a Pokemon game when I was younger (not that I don't want to now)

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic