Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:44:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat's the deal with Minecraft
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: What's the deal with Minecraft  (Read 8455 times)
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 05:00:30 AM »

Well this is the whole point of the thread, basically. To be fair, the dissing part was just an attempt at getting some honest answers. It worked. Giggle

There are plenty of threads, articles and videos explaining why people like/dislike Minecraft. Provoking an answer out of an specific community reeks of laziness, self-righteousness, or trolling.

impulse9
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2013, 05:14:26 AM »

I'll take the last two.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 05:22:42 AM »

this community is special though because minecraft was made in it and some of us know notch/jeb/c418 etc. -- so it's not like you'd necessarily get the same answers on the minecraft official forums or whatever, this community may have a better perspective because we knew of the game before it succeeded out in the world and saw it develop from very early

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2013, 05:27:17 AM »

Yeah, Paul suggested the name, right? Or was that someone else....

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
impulse9
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 05:28:57 AM »

Honestly, I get the fun of building stuff out of blocks. I mean Lego was my favorite thing as a kid. It's just that I'm not a very big fan of blocky graphics. I love pixels, I love voxels, but Minecraft is made of bloxels. I'll admit some scenes are lovely though and the time and effort some people put into their creations is nothing short of admirable.

I should probably give Minecraft some credit though. For a game with no story or "actual" gameplay, it sure is successful. I'm just having a hard time figuring out the source of its appeal.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 05:32:06 AM »

I think the game gets a hundred times better if you play with a friend who knows how to play and is willing to play with you. Then you two go on an adventure through the greatest sandbox ever.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
impulse9
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 05:34:24 AM »

Yeah but the world is still blocky.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 05:35:55 AM »

So is your game. (taps head knowingly)

impulse9
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2013, 05:37:22 AM »

So is your game. (taps head knowingly)

Bazinga
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2013, 06:05:27 AM »

was me. the desk i'm using now was paid for my notch's gift to me in thanks for the name

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2013, 09:51:13 AM »

I should probably give Minecraft some credit though. For a game with no story or "actual" gameplay, it sure is successful. I'm just having a hard time figuring out the source of its appeal.

It's ok to not like something, you know?  Wink

As for the definition of what is or isn't a "game", that's rather complex, and one of those things that irks me greatly since those who try to define it usually do so to dismiss what doesn't fit their definition.

This article by Shamus Young encapsulates what I am talking about.

Personally, it bothers me that, for a community still facing a lot of opposition from the mainstream, we gladly give in to petty infighting for no good reason.

Sorry if I'm a bit rude today, bad day I guess.

Edit: As for Minecraft, I enjoy it on multiple levels. The repetitive mining and building has a zen-like quality to it, making it a relaxing experience after a hard day squishing my brain for code, specially since I can run a video on another window and kind of do both things at once.

And the intense moments you get from time to time are amazing. My latest was when I got lost in an underground cavern, loaded with precious minerals, low on food, with a half broken stone sword, and chased by pretty much all the monsters. And I died. And then I frantically ran back, donning my best gear, cutting a path of utter destruction through the caverns in a desperate attempt to recover my stuff before it despawned. I failed, but it was epic.

This kind of emergent gameplay is extremely rare in most games, specially nowadays that the story is god, and is probably the most amazing thing about Minecraft.

But yes, just like anchovies, it is an acquired taste, and not for everybody.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:57:13 AM by Oskuro » Logged

impulse9
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2013, 11:37:03 AM »

Sorry if I'm a bit rude today, bad day I guess.

No problem. I too sometimes feel the need to vent my bad day to some random internet people. And you make a fine point.

Actually, after reading this thread I have a strange urge to give the game another shot.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2013, 11:43:03 AM »

Bouhouhou why so blocky minecraft?
Cry no more, for you dual contouring:
http://procworld.blogspot.fr/2013/01/dont-be-square.html

impulse9
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2013, 11:47:24 AM »

Bouhouhou why so blocky minecraft?
Cry no more, for you dual contouring:
http://procworld.blogspot.fr/2013/01/dont-be-square.html

I won't lie. I like it.
poe
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2013, 12:55:22 PM »

HOW COME PEOPLE LIKE THIS THING I DON'T LIKE
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »

Minecraft rules. My 12 year old step brother plays it like several hours every day, always doing something different.

It is a creativity tool with game mechanics.
forwardresent
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2013, 05:00:51 PM »

I don't really enjoy it solo, but multiplayer is really fun. I kind of like the end game to push towards but it's really just a side quest.

I think it's pretty awesome how it has such a wide audience, it's the one thing I have in common with my 12 year old step brother. I like how it's being used in schools too. The 2PP documentary showed some of the MinecraftEDU stuff and I wish I was at school now.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2013, 05:04:34 PM »

It's funny how the past two people have had 12 year old step brothers. Maybe they are the same person.  Who, Me?

forwardresent
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2013, 05:11:42 PM »

I am not Graham. As you can see, he is a Turtle, and I am a Hamster.

I have no idea how old he actually is, between 9-13 I reckon. I've spoken to him a handful of times, about Minecraft.

I have a 5 year old brother who would probably like the creative mode if he had the patience to sit down and play it.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2013, 05:13:12 PM »

my 11 year old step brother hates minecraft
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic