Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1028104 Posts in 41267 Topics- by 32888 Members - Latest Member: wonderstruckgames

July 30, 2014, 07:10:13 AM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat's the deal with Minecraft
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: What's the deal with Minecraft  (Read 4297 times)
unsilentwill
Level 8

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 10:29:40 AM »

Someone generated a living, infinite world for you and you got bored.
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 10:46:21 AM »

they didn't shove it in their brains along with massive explosion and trailers, how could they think that people actually got an attention span!!1

Minecraft is one of the most "passive" games out there, it does nothing to "grant" you fun by handhelding, cutscenes, tutorials, achievements and blah.
The matter with it is that lots of people are tired sick (me included) to be hand hold in every game and just want to go around and experiment and see what happens, and Minecraft works really well for them.

The downside of this is that if you can't have fun by yourself by setting your goals and learning how the world works, the game will be boring as hell because basically, nothing will happen (other than you being killed at night).

and sorry for posting an actual reply in a rant thread Durr...?

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 10:57:44 AM »

I'm not particularly a fan of handholding, but I do like it when I feel the "author's" presence in a game. When there's a clear vision being presented. It feels too obvious to me that Notch didn't really have an idea what he wanted the game to be when he started it and admittedly still didn't when he stopped developing it. The game is almost a blank canvas for players to be creative with, and like Paul, I prefer to be creative by working on my own game.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 11:02:31 AM »

i don't think any game can be judged in just 5 minutes; if you play minecraft for 5 minutes of course you'll find it boring
if a game makes u bored in 5 minutes then pardon me

the most important advice I  learned from TeeGee is that the game's first 5-15 minutes are the most important, also if other ppl judge my games by first minutes why wouldn't I judge other games the same way, it's not like I have nothing else to do than to wait if the game turns out to be awesome after 30 minutes of doing boring shit

he's called God if you believe in this and you were bored enough to play some (extremely) mere initiation of it made of boxes

ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 11:06:12 AM »

i agree that it's important to the marketing and sales of a game to make the first 5 minutes interesting. but that isn't what i meant. what i meant was that the first 5 minutes of a game usually tells you nothing about how much you'd enjoy the game if you played 5 more hours. most people *think* it's a good representation of the game, and, because a lot of people think that, making the first 5 minutes matters a lot in terms of how many people will play your game. but spending most of your effort on the first 5 minutes and less on the rest, even though it'll get you more sales, won't actually make your game better, or please hardcore fans of the game, so i think it's generally a bad idea

here's an analogy: how good your trailer is also matters to your sales. it often matters more than how good the game actually is. but judging a game based on the quality of the trailer is obviously not a great way to judge games. same thing with judging a game based on the first five minutes

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 11:08:41 AM »

i dont think minecraft of all gams needs better marketing lol

ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 11:10:45 AM »

yep, there are many ways a game gains popularity. minecraft has a slow start but it's marketed well in other ways, since everyone who makes something cool in it uploads a video or shows it to their friends, some of whom then want to try to make something themselves. the marketing is built right into the structure of the game (either intentionally or not)

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 11:25:30 AM »

u're right but still not everyone will play for 5 hours if they won't get hooked in at start, trailer's purpose is to make me download the game, first 5 minutes' purpose is to make me play longer to see what the game is about, that's how I see it, maybe it works differently for ppl that play more games, dunno, I don't play that much and am not a hardcore gamer

caiys
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 11:36:41 AM »

I don't even know how you'd make the first five minutes of Minecraft exciting. Part of its charm is starting with absolutely nothing.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 11:40:50 AM »

It's interesting to note in that regard that most people seem to agree that the first night of Minecraft is the most 'gamey' as you're vulnerable and have a clear goal: build a shelter to survive the monsters that come out at night.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 12:00:45 PM »

u're right but still not everyone will play for 5 hours if they won't get hooked in at start, trailer's purpose is to make me download the game, first 5 minutes' purpose is to make me play longer to see what the game is about, that's how I see it, maybe it works differently for ppl that play more games, dunno, I don't play that much and am not a hardcore gamer

sure, but i didn't claim everyone will play for 5 hours; you'll lose a lot of players if your first 5 minutes are boring, but so what? who really cares about people who would give up on a game after 5 minutes? it's their loss. lots of people give up on some of the greatest literature in the world in the first few pages, and that's their loss, it's not really the fault of the great literature that the first few paragraphs are boring, it's the fault of the readers, and the fault of the endemic attention deficit of the current generation caused by facebook or whatever

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 12:11:10 PM »

why is this anyone's fault? it's just how it goes, if I don't like it I won't read/play it, should I say sorry because the game is said to be greatest?

ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 12:28:40 PM »

no if i don't like the start of something and then give up and then give it a second chance and then realize how great it is there's no reason for me to be "sorry" to anyone, except perhaps sorry to myself that i originally missed out. there are plenty of great things i've given up early on and then went back to later on and enjoyed, so i don't think it's as simple as 'i like what i like'

for instance, when i was younger i would skip watching 'millenium' because after watching a few episodes of it i saw it as a stupid version of x-files, but later on i watched the whole millenium tv series in a row and realized it's far superior to x-files and that i was stupid to skip watching it

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 12:41:35 PM »

You might consider it a loss in an opportunity-cost interpretation, though if you were finding it a chore at the time it's more likely that your circumstances have changed and you made the right choice to begin with.
mysteriosum
Level 1

I just lost the game ;(

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 01:03:29 PM »

I hear you have to give yourself server admin privileges and do console commands to get items. But you can't even refer to them by name! So you have to go through the code and find numeric values of each item! Talk about mining...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic