Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1028404 Posts in 41285 Topics- by 32903 Members - Latest Member: Pauli

July 31, 2014, 05:29:45 AM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat's the deal with Minecraft
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: What's the deal with Minecraft  (Read 4305 times)
ThemsAllTook
Level 10

Alex Diener

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 03:16:52 PM »

Minecraft is one of the most "passive" games out there, it does nothing to "grant" you fun by handhelding, cutscenes, tutorials, achievements and blah.
The matter with it is that lots of people are tired sick (me included) to be hand hold in every game and just want to go around and experiment and see what happens, and Minecraft works really well for them.

This really hits the nail on the head.

When I started playing Minecraft, I expected to hate it. I was just playing out of curiosity since I'd heard so many people I know talk about it. I first tried playing without consulting its wiki, and couldn't get very far - it's a game that requires the use of resources outside the game to enjoy properly. This page is absolutely required viewing to get started with it. Once I read through that a bit and saw how to craft some things, I started experimenting with them, and it turned out to be fascinating - the game completely won me over after I spent a bit of time with it.

There are also quite a lot of different ways to play Minecraft. If you want it to feel more like a traditional game, you might like Vechs's Super Hostile custom maps. They remove the randomly generated world and give you a structured game level, with goals and challenges along the way. If you want to tinker with complex machines, you could try one of the mod packs from the Feed the Beast launcher. You can also do PvP, electrical engineering (redstone), farming, exploration, creative building... There's a huge amount of variety, but it does take some effort to discover and appreciate.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 04:14:09 PM »

Personally I got Minecraft after I got Terraria, which is a more streamlined game in some regards (no crafting puzzle), so people could start there and see if they like that. It also helps that I play such sandbox games multiplayer, so it is more about the interactions between me and my buddies rather than the game itself, which is just a platform.

Alchiggins
Level 1

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 08:15:05 PM »

The thing about Minecraft is that, unlike most games, it gives you little to no direction from the onset and requires players to determine their own goals for themselves. If you do not create a goal, then you will be bored. If you do, then Minecraft can be amazingly fun.

Therefore, Minecraft is a weird case in which, if the game bores you, I don't necessarily think that it's the game's fault. What you get out of Minecraft depends on what you're willing to put into it. And if you're not willing to put anything into it, that's okay too (I'm certainly not anymore).

Dragonmaw
Global Moderator
Level 10

Notorious D.R.G.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 08:20:44 PM »

HOW COME PEOPLE LIKE THIS THING I DON'T LIKE

My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

-Snoop Dogg
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013, 02:44:26 AM »

My favorite part is the first couple nights where you are struggling to survive.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2013, 03:21:31 AM »

My favorite part is spelunking. I get a small adrenaline rush every time I get minerals.

Do I need a signature?
caiys
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 03:30:49 AM »

My favourite part is exploring the world to find a nice spot to set up a den, be it on the side of a mountain overlooking sweeping lands or next to a lake nestled in the trees.

kinda want to go play minecraft now
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2013, 03:33:49 AM »

I stopped playing minecraft a while ago because I fell out of habit but I have to agree with some people in this thread.

If you got bored of Minecraft within the first 5 minutes then you must be a pretty boring person if you can't find a single thing to do.

It's like if you said that drawing sucked because after 5 minutes all you had was still just a blank piece of paper.

I can understand if Minecraft isn't your "thing" but don't just go dissing the most successful indie game of all time without acknowledging why it's so successful in the first place.  Can we at least stop being pretentious long enough to acknowledge success when it smacks us in the face?

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2013, 03:45:54 AM »

I really dislike all the recent patches, since Jeb took over. They aren't adding any new gameplay, just mods of existing gameplay. And Jeb seems intent on turning Minecraft into the world's blockiest RPG.

Do I need a signature?
impulse9
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2013, 04:44:56 AM »

I can understand if Minecraft isn't your "thing" but don't just go dissing the most successful indie game of all time without acknowledging why it's so successful in the first place.  Can we at least stop being pretentious long enough to acknowledge success when it smacks us in the face?

Well this is the whole point of the thread, basically. To be fair, the dissing part was just an attempt at getting some honest answers. It worked. Giggle

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 05:00:30 AM »

Well this is the whole point of the thread, basically. To be fair, the dissing part was just an attempt at getting some honest answers. It worked. Giggle

There are plenty of threads, articles and videos explaining why people like/dislike Minecraft. Provoking an answer out of an specific community reeks of laziness, self-righteousness, or trolling.

impulse9
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2013, 05:14:26 AM »

I'll take the last two.

ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 05:22:42 AM »

this community is special though because minecraft was made in it and some of us know notch/jeb/c418 etc. -- so it's not like you'd necessarily get the same answers on the minecraft official forums or whatever, this community may have a better perspective because we knew of the game before it succeeded out in the world and saw it develop from very early

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2013, 05:27:17 AM »

Yeah, Paul suggested the name, right? Or was that someone else....

Do I need a signature?
impulse9
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 05:28:57 AM »

Honestly, I get the fun of building stuff out of blocks. I mean Lego was my favorite thing as a kid. It's just that I'm not a very big fan of blocky graphics. I love pixels, I love voxels, but Minecraft is made of bloxels. I'll admit some scenes are lovely though and the time and effort some people put into their creations is nothing short of admirable.

I should probably give Minecraft some credit though. For a game with no story or "actual" gameplay, it sure is successful. I'm just having a hard time figuring out the source of its appeal.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic