Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1025974 Posts in 41121 Topics- by 32720 Members - Latest Member: BluishGreenPro

July 23, 2014, 02:01:17 PM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat's the deal with Minecraft
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: What's the deal with Minecraft  (Read 4210 times)
ThemsAllTook
Level 10

Alex Diener

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2013, 09:12:43 AM »

If my experience with playing Minecraft online is any indication, the game is rather popular with 12-year olds... Whether that's physical 12-year olds or mental 12-year olds I can't tell.  Shrug

Minecraft is indeed quite popular with kids. As with any other game though, playing with random strangers online is going to be a terrible experience no matter what. Play with friends you know and trust, and it'll be much more enjoyable.
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2013, 09:29:32 AM »

Minecraft is like Legos that you only have to buy once. Sure, they're not as good as real ones, but it's the same sort of appeal and accessible without buying expensive boxes of physical building stuffs
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »

@ Took

I know a little about playing online, but I've watched my step brother play with strangers a lot. Many times I've sat there with him for 10 minutes while I'm waiting for something, and talked with him about the game. I am always so easily amazed by how organized they seem. He is always doing something different, in some new location, with unique buildings, and everyone else is kind of participating too.

The experience of watching is like going to a social event that you are totally unfamiliar with, culturally, or because of age gaps or whatever, and everyone there speaks their own language, with rules and structures, and communicate beneath the surface in a way that you can't quite understand. You think, "this is beyond me, but something is happening here."

Just take a look at the wiki. Spontaneously collaborative. One of the best introductory wikis there are. ... Maybe we are too old for Minecraft.
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2013, 10:32:57 AM »

You're only "too old" when you start believing you are.  Beer!

My online experience with Minecraft isn't negative, quite the contrary, the server I play in is pretty well organized and functional, despite the average age of players.

To me it is surprising to see the other players' real age show when I pay attention to their conversations on the chat channel. Suddenly learning that one of the more active mods is a girl whose age I almost triplicate can be quite a shock.  My Word!

Maybe a case could be made that the open ended nature of the game results in more player implication, as it is players who design the rules of their interactions with one another, rather than have it defined by a scoreboard or a strict set of goals.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2013, 11:02:57 AM »

Hah. I didn't say I didn't enjoy it. But it doesn't open this creative valve for me. There are guys making computers and stuff inside Minecraft. Awesome. But like, we push the system to its limits. I learned more about game design than creativity playing it.

I guess you are right. ... I feel far more creative coming up with builds in an RPG. That's creativity for me. Minecraft is like game design but with all these barriers. Just let me design a game. I already have my medium of choice. Kids, they don't. That's what makes 'em kids.

Think about a 2 year-old in a sandbox. That thing can be his whole world for an hour. Adults have to make these monstrosities with special sand and tools, that look like artwork. Kids just play with the sand, because the properties of the sand are enough to not limit their imagination. Minecraft is a sandbox. I don't know what its ideal market is. I've seen a lot of adults on youtube take it just as seriously as anyone else.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic