Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:32:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesLet's Play: Obscure NES Games
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Let's Play: Obscure NES Games  (Read 6044 times)
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« on: February 19, 2013, 05:05:32 PM »

I decided to finally get around to recording myself playing some lesser-known yet awesome NES games on an emulator. This is my first time doing a "Let's Play" series on YouTube and I hope to do more. I'll be posting updates to this thread as new videos arrive!

Bio Senshi DAN
Famicom | Action | Sci-Fi | 1987

Bio Senshi DAN - Part 4

Mario's Dream World
NES | Super Mario Bros | ROM Hack | 2000

Mario's Dream World

Crystalis
NES | Action RPG | SNK | 1990

[NEW!] Crystalis LP Playlist

Mercenary Kings
PC/PS4 | Platform Shooter | 4 Player Co-Op | 2013

[NEW!] Mercenary Kings Review

Stay tuned for more videos coming soon!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:36:41 PM by phubans » Logged

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 05:37:49 PM »

Pretty cool! I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but I have some feedback:

• You've managed to avoid a lot of the pitfalls first-time LPers often run into. Good voice quality, good commentary, sounds like you know what you're doing. Great start!
  • Some minor audio issues: Voice seems to be only in the left channel, and game audio drowns it out some of the time. For my own LPs, I usually deamplify the game audio track to about 35% volume when I edit the video. There's also some sort of noisy static in the background that you can hear at the beginning, though it's not really noticeable over the game music once it gets going. A better microphone would probably solve this if you chose to invest in one someday. This is my choice.
Keep up the good work!

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 05:45:14 PM »

I really liked it. You don't seem too camera shy so to speak. Can't you center that mic audio? If you are capturing game audio and voice separately then you should be able to right? I also agree with that you should turn down in-game music just a bit even if it's lovely.

I subbed and will continue watching. I hope you get to playing 16Bit and 3D games later.

I wish I was a better English speaker so that I could record myself. I could disguise my horrible accent with obnoxious voices like Pewdiepie... Nah, I will have mercy on you.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 05:50:37 PM by Mono » Logged

poe
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 06:02:51 PM »

I wish I was a better English speaker so that I could record myself. I could disguise my horrible accent with obnoxious voices like Pewdiepie... Nah, I will have mercy on you.

Do it, just share the money with us.

phubans, ThemsAllTook has my thoughts covered. I look forward to seeing more in the future!
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 06:19:05 PM »

Thanks guys! The mic I'm using is attached to a headset, so I suspect that is why it only comes in one channel. I don't really have any intention of being a pro LP dude, so I'm not sure if it's worth it to buy a setup to do this. Hopefully it's not a deal breaker for anyone trying to watch the video! This is just something I wanted to do in my free time to share the kind of games I like with people Smiley

As for turning down the audio levels, I did drop them down a bit but if you guys think they're too high still, I can push them down more, that's no problem. Trying to join the video and export it was giving me trouble but I found a method of taking care of everything pretty easily now, which I talk about in the second part that I'll be posting shortly.

Anyways, thanks for watching guys! Part 2 should be up in an hour or so.

poe
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 06:22:53 PM »

I know that procaster lets you change specifically what speaker people hear your mic from, I think you can download things after you stream them as well, so you could stream to no one and then grab the file.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 07:31:18 PM »

I'm recording with Fraps and then using DivX converter to join all the videos into one and compress it. There's not much editing I can do right now, unfortunately.

Uykered
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 07:37:20 PM »

It's unlistenable/unwatchable with only 1 audio channel of voice working.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 08:37:37 PM »

Well you don't have to dislike the video. There's really nothing I can do right now to change it...

I don't understand why everyone watches videos with their headphones on, anyways. All audio comes through my speakers at all times. I personally find headphones uncomfortable and only use them if I'm playing a game that requires the headset for mic communication.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 09:36:24 PM »

http://lparchive.org/meatsupport/FrapsToMeGUI/

Use this.

Also, duck your audio (reduce gain while another track is playing). Audacity has an option to auto-duck audio based on another track. Record your mic separately in Audacity, rip the audio from your video file, and merge the two tracks, ducking game audio appropriately.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 10:01:13 PM »

Ah thanks, I'll check it out!

Ant
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 12:58:09 AM »

bumping for moar Hand Thumbs Up Right
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 05:17:00 AM »

it's pretty good. if you send me the audio file of just your voice i can make it go into both channels in audacity, or show you how to do that

impulse9
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 05:33:23 AM »

This is great! I love obscure games! Smiley
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 05:56:02 AM »

Or, you know, since you're playing a NES game anyway, just convert the audio to mono...

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »

Alrighty, here's part 2, but I recorded & uploaded the video before trying to address this mic issue, so it's got the same audio problems as part 1. I recommend watching it WITHOUT headphones so it comes through your laptop or desktop speakers, it's hard to tell the difference that it's only one-channel audio in that case:

As for the problem, I thought I saw an option to convert audio to mono somewhere, I'll look into it. The problem is that I can't really edit the videos because here's how it works:

1) I run the NES emulator and hit the F8 key to start recording in Fraps.
2) Fraps records the video and creates a raw video file, once the filesize hits 4GB, it starts a new one, repeating this process. I usually end up with 8 files at 4GB each for a 35 minute video.
3) I tried joining, editing, and exporting all of these files in Adobe Premiere. The export process climbed above 5 hours and the program just gave up (unknown error).
4) Fortunately, DivX has a converter where you simply add all the videos to a list and it joins them for you into one file and compresses it down to a few hundred MB. This takes about an hour.
5) After that, I pretty much upload the file directly to YouTube.

Unless there's a way to edit the audio within the DivX converter, I really can't touch it. Pulling an already compressed file into an editing program like Premiere and then re-exporting it would probably either screw up the quality or screw up the file size, I would imagine, since DivX handles that stuff in its own way and the DivX codec doesn't seem to be interfacing properly with my version of Premiere.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 10:10:08 AM »

There are programs that let you edit he audio of an avi without touching the video.
For example you could just open it in VirtualDub, set audio to full processing mode and keep video at direct stream copy. Convert to mono, and save as old format avi (which is also very quick compared to encoding it).

Edit: btw, it can also losslessly add together videos if they use the same codec and resolution (append avi segment). It sounds like it would be a good editor for your needs (it's free).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:48:15 PM by Schoq » Logged

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 02:46:02 PM »

There's an option in Fraps to not split the video at 4 GB boundaries. I think it might be a recentish addition, so you may need to update if you have an old version (no idea how that process works, when I bought it it already had the option).

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 07:47:27 PM »

Next episode plz  Tongue

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 12:43:53 AM »

Here you go!

Also, I took Schoq's advice and used VirtualDub to convert the audio to mono, so the mic issue is fixed! :D

Enjoy.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic