Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:34:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesLet's Play: Obscure NES Games
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Let's Play: Obscure NES Games  (Read 6041 times)
Ant
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 03:22:52 AM »

I think it would suit your style more if instead of say having 3 vids of the same game being played to completion, it would be 3 vids of different obscure games played for 30mins or so. So it would be more of an introduction to these weird games. I tend to find it annoying when you see let's plays and the player is a bit hopeless and constantly replaying areas (not the case here but still).
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 10:37:36 AM »

Well I did have to replay a certain part over and over again on that last video, unfortunately, but I get what you're saying... I might do something like that in the future, like just an intro to various games in a compilation, but for games like this, I really want to play them through, especially since it's also my first time playing this game and I'm rather enjoying it!

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 12:38:49 PM »

Here's the fourth and final part of Bio Senshi DAN!

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 04:34:27 PM »

Yes! Looking forward to your next game.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 05:05:36 PM »

next game: Huh?

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 06:16:15 PM »

I'm thinking of doing Monster Party because it's a more obscure NES game that I enjoyed, but it's quite similar to Bio Senshi DAN. I might do Sweet Home, but since it's an RPG it could take a while. I've been wanting to play Wizards & Warriors again, which isn't necessarily obscure, but on the other hand, it's not very popular, either. It was also the first NES game I ever played and I wouldn't mind giving it some love. What do you guys think?

ClayB
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 06:24:13 PM »

I love Monster Party and would love to hear someone drop some knowledge on me about it. It seems like one of those NES games that would've had more influence (why isn't there a 16bit knockoff of such a cool concept?) if more people played it.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 06:46:24 PM »

i played ironsword but not the original wizards and warriors so my vote goes towards that. but... on second thought i also like the idea of you playing games that are new to you. games that you already played through a bunch wouldn't be very fun to watch because we can't watch you discover stuff and learn stuff, instead we'd just be watching you do something you've done dozens of times before

generally i don't like let's players who play games that they are deeply familiar with, because, what's the point? it isn't a challenge to them anymore, they're just going through the motions. so my vote would be mainly to play a game that's new to you

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 07:04:26 PM »

Cool! Going to have to give Bio Senshi Dan a play one of these days to see if the controls are as bad for me as they were for you. Game looked pretty excellent otherwise.

Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 06:21:55 AM »

A few suggestions:
Gumshoe
Mitsume ga Tooru
Hi no Tori
Astro Robo Sasa
Banana Prince
Don Doko Don 2
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 06:27:53 AM »

generally i don't like let's players who play games that they are deeply familiar with, because, what's the point? it isn't a challenge to them anymore, they're just going through the motions. so my vote would be mainly to play a game that's new to you
I'm the opposite; if the player doesn't have deep knowledge of the game to share and can't play it extraordinarily well, why am I not just playing it myself?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Ant
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2013, 06:55:37 AM »

Yeah me too, I watch walkthroughs because for some reason I can't play that game and want to see the game's content, not to share the magical experience with some random dude. Ideally the only sound I want to hear from player is when he's explaining stuff like alternate paths or best strategies instead of treating it like a dear diary.

p.s. facecams are the worst thing ever
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:07:01 AM by caiys » Logged
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2013, 12:11:08 PM »

to share the magical experience with some random dude

That's exactly what I normally want from an LP. As long as "some random dude" is charismatic and knows how to talk well, you have a chance to get to know them over the course of the game, and it develops into a strange sort of one-way friendship. Focused speedruns are sometimes fun to watch too, but you don't get much (if any) of the player's personality from them.

Interesting to hear that different people get totally different things from LPs.

Ant
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 12:23:09 PM »

Maybe I just haven't found decent LPs, but it seems to follow the same pattern. You find somebody who isn't that big, they are a cool bro, doesn't talk much except to make witty quips or insightful explanations. Fans grow, makes a video thanking his 5000th subscriber. Starts to think he's a personality so won't shut up for 2 seconds, occasionally starts to make remarks during cutscenes. Adds a facecam in the corner. I've never remained a subscriber for somebody beyond that point so I don't know what the next step is, maybe make the facecam 50% of the screen?
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2013, 12:43:50 PM »

What Caiys said. I can't stand LPs where the players don't know what they're doing. It frustrates me to see fools struggling with a puzzle I've already figured out or hit the same set of spikes over and over (even when I would probably do the same thing but fuck it's annoying to watch someone else do it). I guess an exception would be something like Giant Bomb's quick looks, cuz they're not super long multi-episode excercises in incompetence, just like a half hour of gameage and then it ends before it gets grating, and it's still informative cuz they're new games where everybody knows the same amount of nothing about it.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013, 12:45:26 PM »

Sounds like Wizards & Warriors is a good middle ground, then. I've played it before but it was so long ago that it will probably feel like a new game to me in a lot of ways, but I won't be completely lost and confused about how to play. I think I'll start that today.

A few suggestions:
Gumshoe
Mitsume ga Tooru
Hi no Tori
Astro Robo Sasa
Banana Prince
Don Doko Don 2

I've never heard of any of these, but as long as they're good, I'll give them a shot. Otherwise, I'm thinking of doing a "Let's Sample NES Games" series where I just go down the list of 700+ roms I have, taking a quick look at each one and giving my first impressions. 90% will probably just get skipped forever, but at least they were looked at.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 12:45:57 PM »

For me it's like hearing an expert talking about a subject vs a first year student, or seeing someone land a radical skateboard trick that probably has a radical name I don't know vs seeing someone struggle to do a kickflip. (The latter making bad jokes the whole time in both examples)

EDIT:
I'm thinking of doing a "Let's Sample NES Games" series where I just go down the list of 700+ roms I have, taking a quick look at each one and giving my first impressions. 90% will probably just get skipped forever, but at least they were looked at.
That seems like a kind of reduntant series when there are things like Chrontendo
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:51:50 PM by Schoq » Logged

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 01:20:15 PM »

Maybe I just haven't found decent LPs, but it seems to follow the same pattern. You find somebody who isn't that big, they are a cool bro, doesn't talk much except to make witty quips or insightful explanations. Fans grow, makes a video thanking his 5000th subscriber. Starts to think he's a personality so won't shut up for 2 seconds, occasionally starts to make remarks during cutscenes. Adds a facecam in the corner. I've never remained a subscriber for somebody beyond that point so I don't know what the next step is, maybe make the facecam 50% of the screen?

...oh wow, no wonder you guys are jaded. I haven't seen any of this from the people I'm subscribed to. Maybe it's an age thing? They're all in their late 20s or 30s, and generally know better than to overact or adopt a fake personality.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 01:46:14 PM »

I think it's more of an integrity thing.

(Obviously everyone doing those isn't an awful unfunny pander, that was shared for humour and because it highlights the crap one sometimes has to wade through before finding a decent video. But there's no value in it for me either way)

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 02:06:46 PM »

i don't think most let's players go crazy after they get a lot of subscribers, but most of the ones i've subscribed to have very small audiences. i think deceasedcrab is the only one i watch who has more than 1000 subscribers. the others are like malefact, bormac (who i found cause he did a let's play of immortal defense recently), etc.

i think maybe it has to do with the types of games that are let's played and their age, yeah. because i like to watch let's plays of older games and indie games, the let's players i watch are in their late 20s at the youngest (if i had to guess). if you watch let's plays of modern games, then of course you're going to get younger people doing them, and younger people are obnoxious no matter what they are doing

this is my ideal of a let's play:

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic