Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:11:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignBest 3D game feel?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Best 3D game feel?  (Read 4827 times)
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2013, 04:14:48 AM »

What 3D game do you guys think felt the best, specifically I'm talking movement, simply walking, jumping and getting around.
A game that never had you bumping into walls or falling off edges for no good reason?

My faves;
Journey - altho it's kind very specific to the players environment and powers, so it doesn't really serve as a good generic model, but I thought it felt awesome.

Prince of Persia Warrior Within and Banjo Kazooie also come to mind, but they might just be rosy in my mind due to the layers of dust and nostalgia heaped onto them

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 04:17:46 AM »

The Walking Dead. Because you hardly had to ever move, the movement looked great.  Wink

Joking aside, there are a lot of different types of 3d. I could say League of Legends is 3d, although it doesn't seem to be the 3d that you're thinking of. I like Halo as an fps.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 04:24:27 AM »

MDK, the character with the "parachute cape".

It was totally awesome, this was the first game ever that made me not being afraid of high places and actually made jumping fun. It was basicly like flying (actually, controlled falling down) without ability to access high places (unless there was an upward stream of air).

The second best was Max Pain with the "slow button".

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 04:51:35 AM »

I have to go with Mirror's Edge.

It is certainly a flawed game, but it tried to do things with the environment and control scheme that, for the first time (at least to me) made it feel like you were actually interacting with the gameworld, rather than being a hovering camera armed with death-rays.

So in a interactivity/immersion to control quality ratio, yes, Mirror's Edge.

A close second would be the Amnesia/Penumbra games, if only for the world manipulation scheme, although it still feels like a hovering camera with telekinesis at times.

Third person games lose massive points in my book because you're playing the part of a hovering camera watching someone else interact with the world, and it is far easier to animate a character interacting with the world geometry than to tweak the controls and camera movements in first person to get the same effect.

Not that third person games are bad, they just feel way less immersive to me.

impulse9
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 05:20:14 AM »

My vote goes to Quake 1. Raw controls, insane tricks and speed.

(favorite part @ 11:52)

Also damn good.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 05:23:27 AM »

brave fencer musashi

Ant
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 05:27:00 AM »

mario 64
rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 05:43:19 AM »

id say quake 3, sweet ass controls
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 10:00:27 AM »

You mean Kurt Hectic? MDK was, in my eyes, a work of art. I'm not too fond of the sequel, though, mainly for stylistic reasons, although I hear the gameplay was better.

In case anyone doubts this, the game had an item called "World's Most Interesting Bomb", which killed monsters because they walked up to it and stared at it intently.  Cheesy

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 12:40:24 PM »

Quake 3... And Mirror's Edge was also very good Wink
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 01:08:28 PM »

mario 64

id say quake 3, sweet ass controls
yup and yup

also jet set radio, gears of war, vanquish, tony hawk's pro skater 3 are gams that felt good to me.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:14:16 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »

I haven't played them in a while, but I remember Sly Cooper 2 and 3 having a really good feel to them (I should try them again now that I'm more mindful of these things).

Assassin's Creed 2 had a pretty good fell to it, although a good portion of that was that it did a lot of the parkour stuff automatically if you held down a button.

I like the feel of most of the 3D Legend of Zelda games.  Wind Waker and Twilight Princess had some nice smooth flowing combat and the movement itself felt pretty good.  Beyond Good and Evil as well (again, I'd have to play it again to be sure)

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 02:37:51 PM »

I really liked stabbing guys in Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. You had to pay attention to your character's movements to project how an attack would land on an enemy. The axe for example had a delay and would strike a thin space downwards. Positioning yourself required thinking about your momentum and the enemy's. Striking was satisfying a lot of the time. Sometimes it was boring.
Uykered
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 05:26:12 PM »

First person perspective because its the most immersive.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 10:29:06 PM »

mario 64
sonic generation
night into dream
snes pilotwing

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 04:19:07 AM »

I just remembered a game that I think feels totally perfect, Overgrowth, the running, climbing and fighting in that game feel so amazingly fluid and responsive

forwardresent
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 11:56:51 AM »

I just remembered a game that I think feels totally perfect, Overgrowth, the running, climbing and fighting in that game feel so amazingly fluid and responsive

+1. Even Lugaru had it down pretty well.

MDK and Mirrors Edge were awesome too.

Arkham City/Asylum had exceptionally tight controls.
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 06:03:31 PM »

Just plugging quake-based games, HL1 and HL2 included. Say what you like, but every other FPS feels like I'm trudging through mud compared to those games.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 06:45:54 PM »

light on their feet, precision.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 08:19:34 PM »

Don't know about best, I know about worst: It is Gothic and Mass Effect 2 (pc-version, it's like they did nothing for game-mechanics)

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic