Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 02:32:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignBest 3D game feel?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Best 3D game feel?  (Read 4900 times)
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 10:30:13 PM »

Don't know about best, I know about worst: It is Gothic and Mass Effect 2 (pc-version, it's like they did nothing for game-mechanics)

I never got to ME2 because the game feel of ME1 made me stop playing only a couple hours in, aiming, walking, running, taking cover, every single action you are able to take in that game felt so broken and uncomfortable to me I couldn't stand it

+1 for the arkham games!

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 03:49:17 AM »

Yeah, I am glad you see it that way. Unfortunately people with less developed taste in gaming don't realise it and keep milking it just because of its useless story. Must be the hype that gives weak games momentum.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 03:53:17 AM »

My vote goes to Quake 1. Raw controls, insane tricks and speed.

(favorite part @ 11:52)

Couldnt agree more Smiley

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 04:00:22 AM »

How do you feel about UT99 vs Quake

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 04:07:37 AM »

UT99 was quite good too. Certainly very respectable and raw enough to warrant competitive gameplay.

That said I still prefer the quake1 input system to UT. It always had the nicest raw input feel to me when using the mouse. It's interesting that one of the few things that remains in Valve's engines is the quake1 era input code (albeit modified).

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 04:11:35 AM »

I think the movement speed in quake is beyond sanity. As a whole game I feel ut99 is superior.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 04:16:09 AM »

UT99 is certainly a great game. I do personally prefer quake though. The movement and weapons I feel were better.

Not to take away from UT99 though. Both of these games are some of the best in their respective genres. I spent countless hours enjoying both games extensively.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 04:19:23 AM »

I prefer the more varied weapons of ut99, they look like a more complementary and flexible set of tools. The pace is also fast but noticeably slower than in quake, which in my experience feels more balanced.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 04:21:12 AM »

Fair enough. To each his own. I prefer quakes weapons personally. If you were to start a thread comparing the two games I would certainly be willing to debate the merits of both games. Feels somewhat off topic here though.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 04:23:42 AM »

Quake 3/Live.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 10:23:58 PM »

I ended up settling into UT99 over Quake, I think because UT99 was initially more accessible. The learning curve didn't seem as steep or something.

It's funny because, UDK, the engine I'm now developing in, comes from UT and yet it has some of the most disgusting feeling movement of any game. The fact that so many modern games are being based on the UE3 is probably the reason they so often feel bad like Mass Effect

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 10:44:15 PM »

Just Cause 2. The whole "grapple then parachute with a jetpack" part blew me away. It was the most fun part of the whole game.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 10:53:02 PM »

Just Cause 2. The whole "grapple then parachute with a jetpack" part blew me away. It was the most fun part of the whole game.

Speaking of grapple hooks and jetpacks, you just reminded me how much I loved the feel of Tribes:Vengeance
Tribes Ascend just didn't get the tribes feel right IMO  Sad

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 10:32:04 AM »

Tribes Ascend definitely has a good feel. And now that they lowered the fucking high prices it's actually a very good game.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2013, 11:19:13 AM »

It's been mentioned: Super Mario World. Love it. Love it, love it. I duck-jump-slide everywhere. Cape spin. Float, momentum turn. Arc a shell mid-air. Boom boing, gulp. Yoshi ate him. Yum.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2013, 11:27:43 AM »

Oh by the way, there is still one bad thing about Tribes Ascend. It has mouse delay and that is something that shouldn't ever be used in any serious multiplayer FPS.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2013, 11:29:49 AM »

It's been mentioned: Super Mario World. Love it. Love it, love it. I duck-jump-slide everywhere. Cape spin. Float, momentum turn. Arc a shell mid-air. Boom boing, gulp. Yoshi ate him. Yum.
not 3d. sproing.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2013, 11:33:45 AM »

Hah.

Rivon, I wonder if that's an accessibility thing. Ascend is FTP, needs easy install/run. The delay might be an easy way out of a balancing problem that comes from inconsistencies in run times. queue j-snake.
flowerthief
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »

Not any first person view game I know. First person view feels like driving a car with your face pressed up against the windshield.

Maybe stuff like Uncharted and Tomb Raider. Those kind of games require a smooth feel as a well as a good camera so that you can see and navigate all the traps. They like to deal with the problem of falling off ledges by making you automatically hang from the ledge when you walk off.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2013, 11:57:17 AM »

I wish someone made a sequel to mario 64

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic