Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:36:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignBest 3D game feel?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Best 3D game feel?  (Read 4825 times)
makis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2013, 11:59:38 AM »

Severance Blade of Darkness!
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2013, 12:23:05 PM »

I wish someone made a sequel to mario 64

with leveling.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2013, 12:38:52 PM »

I said a sequel to mario64 not a sequel to sonic unleashed

BTW the game DOES have leveling (star and cap)
complete quest, get xp star, unlock new skill (cap)

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2013, 01:06:23 PM »

yeah. caps are just underused, like all Mario powerups. the best powerup ever was the shell. used it everywhere. ... and old-school yoshi.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2013, 01:15:37 PM »

Oh by the way, there is still one bad thing about Tribes Ascend. It has mouse delay and that is something that shouldn't ever be used in any serious multiplayer FPS.
I've never noticed any. I've been playing it quite a bit and am usually pretty sensitive to things like that. Are you sure it's not just the motion blur (which can be turned off)?

(and yes more people should play it now that it's not really pure f2p anymore)

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2013, 02:55:14 PM »

Rivon, I wonder if that's an accessibility thing. Ascend is FTP, needs easy install/run. The delay might be an easy way out of a balancing problem that comes from inconsistencies in run times.
If Quake can have instant mouse input, why not Tribes? As far as I know, it's because of some UDK performance optimization but even when I tried turning it off, it was still there. Maybe not so big delay but it still was there.

I've never noticed any. I've been playing it quite a bit and am usually pretty sensitive to things like that. Are you sure it's not just the motion blur (which can be turned off)?
No, there is mouse delay. Just try to move your mouse from left to right again and again. You'll notice that the movement lags after the input.

I could understand mouse delay if a developer of multiplatform game was trying to make the gameplay the same everywhere and delayed mouse is much more similar to gamepad than instant mouse movement. It would be especially understandable if there was multiplatform multiplayer where PC players could play with console players, because mouse users would have a big advantage. But otherwise, in a purely PC FPS it's unforgivable.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2013, 03:20:07 PM »

The load times in HL2 are crazy stupid. But there they are. *shrug* programming is hard.

The lag could be removed I'm sure.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2013, 03:47:07 PM »

I said a sequel to mario64 not a sequel to sonic unleashed

BTW the game DOES have leveling (star and cap)
complete quest, get xp star, unlock new skill (cap)

Just realize that when they said they will make the next zelda less linear, they may end up doing just that too  Who, Me?
It was already there with the skulltula, a currency that define progression, I also expect them to expend on the upgrade system they introduced in SS

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2013, 03:56:55 PM »

Not familiar with it. Does it change what it feels like to control Link (staying on topic)?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2013, 04:07:49 PM »

totally off topic rambling because i'm stuck yet again on my f*** code

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2013, 06:11:30 PM »

No, there is mouse delay. Just try to move your mouse from left to right again and again. You'll notice that the movement lags after the input.
I really can't notice it and I'm pretty sure I would if it were there. Probably different on different systems Shrug

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2013, 03:00:46 AM »

Maybe... It's annoying as hell.
AshfordPride
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2013, 01:56:33 PM »

Assassin's Creed 2 had a pretty good fell to it, although a good portion of that was that it did a lot of the parkour stuff automatically if you held down a button.

I have never felt more of a disconnect between myself and a game than when Ezio did something that I did not tell him to do.  Because things are pretty cut and dry here, my little Italian assassin.  This entire world has been so perfectly crafted for you to do the things you do with such automation and ease that when you jump entirely the wrong way or just jump straight up and down when perched on a pole I feel as if I've just been punched in the gut.  Have you ever fallen to the ground in that one particular way?  The way when you expect a step to be there, or when you put your foot down on something that immediately gives out?  That's the sort of feeling I get from Assassins Creed all too often.  It's as if I'm doing something as simple as one foot in front of the other only to find that my next step is into an open manhole.

I have to say, it's pretty splendid when you're able to easily chain Ezio through a nice variety of signs, walls, and the like.  But damn, if it doesn't feel terrible when things DON'T go right.  I feel like the game never, ever, ever, ever wants you to fuck up.  It wants things to just be so perfect and smooth.  It's like we're supposed to ignore that dad just hit mom for burning the roast whenever Ezio just took a four story fall off of some basilica. 
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2013, 02:19:44 PM »

Ass Creed gives a narrow area to play in. Feels weird when you fuck up - super weird - and is far too easy to fuck up in. Also too easy to not fuck up in. Though some times it's magic.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2013, 02:56:05 PM »

Assassin's Creed 2 had a pretty good fell to it, although a good portion of that was that it did a lot of the parkour stuff automatically if you held down a button.

I have never felt more of a disconnect between myself and a game than when Ezio did something that I did not tell him to do.  Because things are pretty cut and dry here, my little Italian assassin.  This entire world has been so perfectly crafted for you to do the things you do with such automation and ease that when you jump entirely the wrong way or just jump straight up and down when perched on a pole I feel as if I've just been punched in the gut.  Have you ever fallen to the ground in that one particular way?  The way when you expect a step to be there, or when you put your foot down on something that immediately gives out?  That's the sort of feeling I get from Assassins Creed all too often.  It's as if I'm doing something as simple as one foot in front of the other only to find that my next step is into an open manhole.

I have to say, it's pretty splendid when you're able to easily chain Ezio through a nice variety of signs, walls, and the like.  But damn, if it doesn't feel terrible when things DON'T go right.  I feel like the game never, ever, ever, ever wants you to fuck up.  It wants things to just be so perfect and smooth.  It's like we're supposed to ignore that dad just hit mom for burning the roast whenever Ezio just took a four story fall off of some basilica. 

Yeah, that's exactly right, the game developers didn't make any middle ground in the parcour system, everything is binary. It probably has to be this way in order to work the way it does in the best of situations, since everything has to fit rigidly onto the game nodes or ezios feet and hands might wind up in the wrong place and completely ruin all that believability the fancy animations work so hard to achieve.

Still, I think middle ground would have been possible, it just would have just been a lot more work and would enable people to really ham up the parcour and make altair or ezio look like a total tool. It would mean making the game more like the physics based platforming of Shadow of the Colossus.
Even when something does go horribly wrong in ass creed you still look dignified, in shadow of the colossus with your flailing Muppet arms it's impossible to look bad ass or dignified.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »

They could have fixed it with some design. They did make a choice though.
Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2013, 09:27:40 PM »

I have to go with Mirror's Edge.

Tribes Ascend definitely has a good feel. And now that they lowered the fucking high prices it's actually a very good game.

Seconded, or however many +1s they're at.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Shadow of the Colossus or Portal. Shadow of the Colossus obviously relied heavily on it's movement mechanics to great effect, and I don't feel like I need to sing it's praises--Portal gave me the greatest connection to momentum, the conservation of, and it's importance, that I've ever felt in a game. I still remember GLaDOS' line: "In laymen's terms, speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out." Similarly, Rock of Ages made speed feel very empowering, and is perhaps underrated, especially when looking at just the incorporation of physics.

LoZ's Hookshot and Thief 2's Rope Arrows made navigating environments a lot of fun, the courtyard in Ocarina of Time's Forest Temple being an especially memorable place. The Rope Arrows also were really enabling when it came to choosing how to get around. I wish I would see other games pick that up more often.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2013, 10:32:37 PM »

I totally forgot spiderman web on shadow on wii (haven't play any other version), the game iself is not great but the movement is great, better than spider man 2 because of the incredible number of animation transition.

kiddRaddical
Level 0

ALT UNIVERSE SEGA SATURN DEV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2013, 01:51:40 AM »

Don't think anyone said this one: Sonic Adventure 2. Controls were janky, but in a good way; highly responsive and twitchy. Certainly not the best, but possibly my favorite.

As far as "objectively" being the best (in my subjective opinion Wink ), you can't beat Super Mario 64.

posting (too) regularly on Twitter: @EthanRedd
EthanRedd.com
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2013, 04:02:02 PM »

I liked the Sonic Adventure games. I was always trying for fluidity. I never quite got there, but the games certainly put the drive in me. I want to run fluidly, smoothly, everywhere... like a superhero.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic