Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:09:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsRequest a Tutorial
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27
Print
Author Topic: Request a Tutorial  (Read 182031 times)
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #480 on: April 06, 2013, 05:59:14 PM »

Check it.

Dualmask
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #481 on: April 25, 2013, 11:43:46 AM »

How to stitch together sprites in GML to build a single sprite. For example, legs and torso of a person being separate sprite because the torso does multiple animations such as shooting, reloading, and the legs need to just be runnin' legs.

Draw the parts in Flash (in the general size you want your sprite to be), make all the limbs into groups or better, symbols in a library, rotate them as needed and export the posed parts as .PNGs and make your sprite strips out of them. Not quite as crisp as pixel art, but effective.
Reggie02
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 30, 2013, 10:39:43 PM »

Hey guys
I'm new to game maker and i'm working on an engine for a platformer. So far, I have variable jumping and movement. I wanted to implement ledge grabbing next but I just can't find any sort of help/tutorial explaining this so I was wondering if I could get help over here. My collision checking for my blocks in done like so (if anyone finds this relevant:
//When colliding with the object stop moving
move_contact_solid(direction,0)
if place_meeting(x,y+1,obj_block) then vspeed=0
if place_meeting(x,y-1,obj_block) then vspeed=0
if place_meeting(x+1,y,obj_block) then hspeed=0
if place_meeting(x-1,y,obj_block) then hspeed=0

Thanks in advance
Reggie02
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 18, 2013, 01:55:58 PM »

BUMP BUMP
kara
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 24, 2013, 10:07:21 AM »

I'd like a tutorial on how to use data structures in Game Maker (esp ds_list). I keep reading that they're better than arrays, but I can't figure out how to use them similarly to arrays..
ink.inc
« Reply #485 on: May 24, 2013, 01:07:22 PM »

pretty much everything you need is in the help file
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 25, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »

Does anyone here know where I can find a tutorial for 3D game development in Java? I pretty much only want to do so for the learning experience, as I'll probably be pretty much forced to just use Unity in the long run (I've searched for months and have found tutorials for only Unity 3d and GameMaker). Even so, I'd like to know HOW 3D game development works behind the scenes, just in case, you know. A tutorial explaining platformer games specifically would be nice. I'm also willing to put in the effort to learn other languages if need be, but I'd like the majority of programming to be done in Java if possible.
soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: May 25, 2013, 10:45:58 PM »

go find opengl for java (jgl?) and then go find tuts abt it.
u can learn some opengl in c(++) from nehe and lazyfoo, and then do a switch to the java binding
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 26, 2013, 01:05:05 AM »

go find opengl for java (jgl?) and then go find tuts abt it.
u can learn some opengl in c(++) from nehe and lazyfoo, and then do a switch to the java binding

A question I have asked over a year ago - http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=24700.0
Has it all. For C++, though, but it might be of an use.

CaptainKraft
Level 0

Chillin like a villin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #489 on: July 13, 2013, 05:22:07 PM »

How can I make pancakes ( I burned my house last time I tried ... )

Lower heat, lightly oil the pan, and flip them when they start to bubble a little bit. Should be about 30 seconds or so. If they don't bubble within 30ish seconds then turn your heat up sightly.

A pic of the expected result ?

I tried you methods and mines are a bit "flambées"

P.S: Burned my house another time , tho ...

The key to a great pancake is to keep them on medium heat, butter (real butter!!!!!) the pan, and only flip them when the bubbles stop reforming. It will look like mini craters in the top of the pancake.

Enjoy!

Qqwy
Level 1

To who might ever read this: I love you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: September 10, 2013, 10:55:35 AM »

All pancakes aside, what I would really like to see is a tutorial about the creation of segmented enemies, like worms, which probably involves using trigonometry in much more powerful way than I can imagine.

Ř̺͈̮ͬͣ͑͂͊̐a̲͈̲̩̫͍̟̕i̪̪̩̼̩̊̽ͫn̴b̗̠͈̯̲͡ͅo̥̤͓̥̩̾͐ẅ̺́͢ ̴̙̑̍̅o̰̹͙̻̭̘̅͌͐̾ͅf̖̖͖͍̽̅̉͡ ͓̱͓͔̖̣̗ͭC̽҉̗̼̳̖͇̳h̺͕͠a̵̾ͤ͆́́o̼̙͖͎͍̳̅̿ͣs͓̒̌̀  FOCUS-Bytebeat
david
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: September 13, 2013, 10:36:37 AM »

TUTORIAL REQUESTS GO HERE.

I request a C++ game-making tutorial!

Please? Embarrassed

Alec said he'd do it.

If you will get any good C++ game-making tutorials then please provide me as well.I am also interested in games development.I am very good in web development.if any one want php related tutorials then msg me.

MoonyGekko
Level 0

So, you've come to stare at the BEAST, haven't you

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 26, 2013, 02:53:09 PM »

Collecting a Game Dev Team
The simple does and don'ts, common mistakes, best way to find good paid/free workers, etc.

Carville
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 04, 2013, 06:38:59 AM »

Hi guys,

Ive been searching all over for some guide or info on how its done. Im looking to make a 25 second racing animation in the style of Outrun.

Outrun:

If anyone has any links or advice that would be a great help  Beg

thanks.
Kren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 18, 2014, 08:11:29 AM »

Hi, I am a pixelartist and I am trying to move into more hi-res art, like plant vs zombie or flash game type, yet I haven't find any tutorials in how to make one what program and how to save them so they are usable for videogames, any help?
PogueSquadron
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: January 29, 2014, 12:39:21 PM »

Hopefully I haven't been spamming everywhere with questions, but I would love to see a tutorial that goes more in depth with wall collisions in an overhead game.

What I'm talking about can be seen in a game like Chrono Trigger. Push Crono up towards a the edge of a table, and he will hug the edge of the table until the path is clear. Run up to the middle of the table, and he does not do this.

From what I can tell, when Crono is near the edge of something (a table, the edge of a wall, etc), he basically slides along the X axis closer to the edge, until his path is clear. He even can do this around rounded objects - for instance, if you're running to the right behind a tent at the Millennial Fair, you will see him slide along the back of the tent until his path is clear and he will keep running right.

I've seen plenty of tutorials cover the basics of player collisions with walls and objects, but have yet to find a tutorial that goes into making these collisions more graceful and forgiving. Right now, if I'm not on the edge, my character will come to a halt. Even worse, if the bounding box is an ellipse, he will get caught at some odd positions until another direction is pressed in conjunction with the current direction.
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 03, 2014, 06:00:09 PM »

Hi guys,

Ive been searching all over for some guide or info on how its done. Im looking to make a 25 second racing animation in the style of Outrun.

Outrun:

thanks.

What you are looking for is mode 7
http://www.coranac.com/tonc/text/mode7.htm
Brainswitch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #497 on: March 12, 2014, 05:00:15 PM »

Hi guys,

Outrun:

thanks.

What you are looking for is mode 7
http://www.coranac.com/tonc/text/mode7.htm

I'm not sure (or well, I am sure, since Outrun was not a SNES game) used Mode7. Then again, if you don't want 'hills'/'bends up and down' in your animation, you could use something Mode7-ish. Which is more or less a large textured plane.

admazzola
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: May 09, 2014, 10:28:39 AM »

I request a GLSL shader tutorial
RandyGaul
Level 1

~~~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #499 on: June 11, 2014, 08:27:51 PM »

Hopefully I haven't been spamming everywhere with questions, but I would love to see a tutorial that goes more in depth with wall collisions in an overhead game.

What I'm talking about can be seen in a game like Chrono Trigger. Push Crono up towards a the edge of a table, and he will hug the edge of the table until the path is clear. Run up to the middle of the table, and he does not do this.

From what I can tell, when Crono is near the edge of something (a table, the edge of a wall, etc), he basically slides along the X axis closer to the edge, until his path is clear. He even can do this around rounded objects - for instance, if you're running to the right behind a tent at the Millennial Fair, you will see him slide along the back of the tent until his path is clear and he will keep running right.

I've seen plenty of tutorials cover the basics of player collisions with walls and objects, but have yet to find a tutorial that goes into making these collisions more graceful and forgiving. Right now, if I'm not on the edge, my character will come to a halt. Even worse, if the bounding box is an ellipse, he will get caught at some odd positions until another direction is pressed in conjunction with the current direction.

It really just sounds like you want to the player to slide along the wall? You can project the velocity of the an object onto a surface to get a sliding direction. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're asking?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic