Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:16:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesPlaystation 4
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Playstation 4  (Read 18595 times)
feminazi
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2013, 03:50:06 PM »

zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2013, 03:50:36 PM »

I cant help but wonder if sony will go bankrupt before the next console generation ends.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2013, 03:54:45 PM »

also, samtagonist, i don't think anyone is saying it was a conscious decision on sony's part, not even the most rabid feminist is saying that.
yeah he basically typed up a wall of text attacking a strawman (strawWOMAN?Huh?) argument no one itt even came remotely close to making lol.

not the first time this has happened either, he and shig did p much the same in the skullgirls thread a while back.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2013, 03:55:53 PM »

I cant help but wonder if sony will go bankrupt before the next console generation ends.
yeah because it's not like sony makes anything else than playstations
feminazi
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2013, 03:59:22 PM »

i really want their cloud gaming thing to succeed but belrlglg onlives situation was kinda bad. its a big gamble
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2013, 03:59:34 PM »

without a true vision behind it, at least nintendo came with genuine way they think would make game better, and some of their production are alien regarding time they were created (animal crossing, wario ware or tomodatchi collection), even if we don't always agree with their direction (wii fit, wii sport or wii music, at least most people except me).

Sony? slap the latest trend and call it a day

Because making a new console with a tablet attachment isn't slapping the latest trend on your product and calling it a day.

feminazi
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2013, 04:02:29 PM »

one of former xbox live head dudes speaks up

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »

i tried to find the soul in that old man during the presentation but couldn't; not sure he had one. i think a soul requires at least 150,000 polys, 30,000 polys are just not enough

zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2013, 04:14:39 PM »

yeah because it's not like sony makes anything else than playstations

sony's entertainment division is the only part of the company that has been doing relatively well lately.

they've been running in the red for years, as their previous flagship fields like tvs and consumer electronics are being dominated by samsung. not to mention they haven't even -tried- to get their foot in the door with the recent smartphone craze.

http://www.macroaxis.com/invest/ratio/SNE--Probability_Of_Bankruptcy
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2013, 04:16:59 PM »

without a true vision behind it, at least nintendo came with genuine way they think would make game better, and some of their production are alien regarding time they were created (animal crossing, wario ware or tomodatchi collection), even if we don't always agree with their direction (wii fit, wii sport or wii music, at least most people except me).

Sony? slap the latest trend and call it a day

Because making a new console with a tablet attachment isn't slapping the latest trend on your product and calling it a day.

You mean that it isn't an extension of that DS thingy they made before touchscreen was cool? It's not like thay haven't been toying with dual screen since the GBA days (zelda four sword, crystal chronicle, zelda wind waker), and what about game and watch.

Hell no poor nintendo they follow trend instead of setting them (pad, analog stick, flipper button, dual screen, rumble, proper 3D exploration and camera, lock on, contextual button, motion control, touch screen, dual screen) ... heck the playstation WAS a nintendo idea (extension for snes with 3d capability) following their experimentation with superFX ship on 3D gaming (starfox, stunt race fx).

feminazi
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2013, 04:17:47 PM »

We need a new generation of people in wheel chairs making games too, it's time for them to step up.

if they can code, why not? you seem angry at the idea lol
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »

We need a new generation of people in wheel chairs making games too, it's time for them to step up. This way they can be represented in console announcements too.

til alistair equates women in game dev with people w/ disabilities

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2013, 04:23:30 PM »

sony's entertainment division is the only part of the company that has been doing relatively well lately.

they've been running in the red for years, as their previous flagship fields like tvs and consumer electronics are being dominated by samsung. not to mention they haven't even -tried- to get their foot in the door with the recent smartphone craze.

http://www.macroaxis.com/invest/ratio/SNE--Probability_Of_Bankruptcy
oops i didn't know that. sorry for being dum.  Embarrassed
feminazi
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2013, 04:26:32 PM »

if they hired people in wheelchairs we would have found a way for kinect to detect people sitting down sooner than later, jsut sayin
feminazi
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2013, 04:29:53 PM »

killzone looks visually kool. n da devs saying its 1080p 30fps. probably gona be bad gam but watever pictures

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2013, 04:32:45 PM »

the animations in the video looked kinda stiff to me tbh.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2013, 04:55:37 PM »

But that's first gen game, literary current gen but beef up (draw distance particle, etc..) remember dead rising huge zombie mob?
However this gen gimmick would surely be actual fluid simulation. I predict new fluid based gameplay that will take people by surprise.

Edit:
And if we look at the quality of ninja storm on PS3, cel shading could be the huge winner and a surprise trend would start at the first successful game that tame this art style, it's way cheaper technologically with greater readability (especially emotion) and lower cost. And I don't mean fake bloated cel shading like borderland that is a blurry visual mess that don't know its style.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:02:24 PM by Gimym TILBERT » Logged

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2013, 05:59:52 PM »

Yep, everything Sony showed were current gen games beefed up, but that was expected. Nintendo are usually the only ones that start a generation already with something that couldn't be done before, but that's because they usually build their hardware around some game they're working on.

I'm curious about the development costs of a PS4 game, those assets don't look cheap.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2013, 06:07:10 PM »

Input and horse-power are the major limitations of many game-ideas. Only better input and more power offer the ground to realise new or enhanced ideas.  

regarding the importance of power by example:

If someone of you have taken a comprehensive look of my TrapThem, just imagine to take TrapThem's block-physics into a large environment of a metroid-like setting. You need massive computation power because it has to detect cut out shapes of arbitrary size in real-time, unlike minecraft. Luckily with some effort it is a problem that can be splitted up in many threads with some effort, gpgpu with opencl or similar stuff is where the massive power comes from.
Utter bullshit. Scribblenauts managed to properly do physics with various shapes with only 67 mhz and 4 MB RAM (even disregarding that everything but the sound is competing for that same CPU). That was small scale, but on modern console hardware (such as the PS3's 3200 mhz) you could easily do it on a huge scale if programmed as efficiently as in Scribblenauts. The problem with hardware limits isn't that the hardware is slow, it's that programmers these days are waaaaaay too inefficient (I'm "guilty" of this as well). You should really try coding Assembly for once and calculate how many cycles you need to perform certain tasks. You'll be amazed at how fast modern hardware really is.
You don't understand the problem. The problem is that it scales quadratic in 2D and cubic in 3D-space when being a continuous part of the whole environment. In either case it is easy to quickly assemble shapes consisting of millions of block-units. And then in one single spot it has to be recognized and processed. The problem has a potentially global scope, while everything you do in minecraft or boulder-dash has only local dependencies since the blocks are not connected to each other (fundamentally different physics). Whenever you see a falling unit (a rock for example) in boulder-dash it is already prebaked, only locally checking the space below it is free or not.

Highly optimized assembler and smart tricks will be exploited to make TrapThem run fluid even on Commodore64. The fundamental problem however remains. I just want to show how quickly processing power can become important in my personal case. And it is just one idea, there are many more ideas.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2013, 08:37:10 PM »

I would ask "why do people still get dazzled by prerendered graphics?", but I know the answer is because it's mostly young kids and/or stupid gamer fanboy type people.

These kinds of events are why I don't really have any interest in the mainstream videogame industry. They just come across as shallow, gross, and alienating.
Yeah, pretty much so.

Anyway, the best thing for me was 2 teraflops gpgpu and the promise to ease up development for it for everyone.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic